🌄 Chiayi | Alishan National Scenic Area

Hi all,

I recently caught the tail end of an episode of Fun Taiwan with Janet. She mentioned that she was in the Chiayi Central Mountain Range, but it looked more like Taroko Gorge. Beautiful canyons, fenced in walking paths cut/eroded into the mountains, and waterfalls.

I’ve been trying to figure out where exactly it is, but my google-fu has failed me. Did anyone catch that episode and could provide some more information or directions for getting there? It looks absolutely gorgeous and would make a nice day trip for me.

Thanks.

eng.taiwan.net.tw/m1.aspx?sNo=0002116&id=5154

Ruili is a great spot. Chiayi central mountains are pretty awesome and best explored if you rent a car but some of the roads are a bit challenging in that they are often under repair after typhoons. It can be an adventure. There is a LOT more to see in Chiayi mountains than Alishan.

Great, thanks!

I’ll have to find time this summer to take a drive up there for some hiking.

I have seen several amazing photos of the Mount Alishan “sea of clouds”. However I went there not long ago, and I did not find that there was any way to access to the peak of the mountain, or witness this sea of clouds. The trails appeared very short, low, and limited overall. Can anyone explain how to access the top of the mountain or give any information on what the trail is called?

Many tourists will take the train to Zhushan (“Mt. Zhu”) to see the sunrise over Yushan (“Mt. Jade”) and from the observation deck there you can indeed see the “Sea of Clouds” depending on the weather and time of day and season in the valley you are overlooking. But that’s not the only place where you can see clouds below you. Actually, there are hundreds of spots along high-mountain roads above deep valleys where you can see that phenomenon. Others with more high-mountain experience can probably tell you exactly where the best spots are, but for most you probably need your own means of transport.

This awesome B&B provides transport, a thoughtful host who can guide you around if you wish–and ample opportunities to see the “sea of clouds” should weather conditions cooperate:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1433864-d809730-Reviews-Small_Swiss_homestay-Chiayi_County.html

I had a fantastic time staying there and recommend it to anyone wishing to get to know this part of Taiwan.

Guy

[quote=“afterspivak”]This awesome B&B provides transport, a thoughtful host who can guide you around if you wish–and ample opportunities to see the “sea of clouds” should weather conditions cooperate:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1433864-d809730-Reviews-Small_Swiss_homestay-Chiayi_County.html

I had a fantastic time staying there and recommend it to anyone wishing to get to know this part of Taiwan.

Guy[/quote]

I second that. I’ve stayed there - lovely place.

Anyone have any experience or pointers or hotel suggestions about this little area about 45 minutes before Alishan National Forest Recreation area?

There are a lot of hotels.

石桌
604, Chiayi County, Zhuqi Township

A few years ago, I stayed at 石園民宿

It is set in a working tea farm with a great view (facing west). Very quiet on the weekdays. The rooms were clean and comfortable but a bit dark with no view. We had to drive into town for dinner. Breakfast was served on the balcony overlooking the farm. The owners were very friendly and helpful. They did not speak English. Enjoyed my stay.
I have visited once since then just to buy tea and hang out for the afternoon. They have upgraded the rooms so it looks like some of the rooms now have great views. The owner’s son has taken over - he is very hospitable and passionate about his tea. Not sure if he speaks English either. Looks like they now have a buffet breakfast.
It is at the end of a narrow road off the main road to Fenqihu. There are signs only in Chinese.

I haven’t checked out the competition so not sure how this place now compares to other Shizhuo hotels.

2 Likes

I scouted 石園民宿 hotel for a future stay. Looks like one of the better places with an unobstructed view of the tea farms and the mountains and valleys. Amazing view and they have an outdoor balcony.

The hotels are located directly in the middle of tea farms on the side of a mountain with amazing views facing west and towards sunset. There’s nothing else around but if you want to get away and amazing view then this is a spot if you pick the right hotel with a view. And they have hiking paths and trails walking right through tea farms and mountains.

I also like these other two hotels.

阿里山淵明居客棧
604, Chiayi County, Zhuqi Township, 中和村石棹4號

禾園觀霧民宿
604, Chiayi County, Zhuqi Township, 中和村石棹4之8號(頂石棹民宿區民宿三街)

Just 5 km away is the small town Fengqihu 奮起湖 with train station and eating street.

Some friends came to visit from up north. Nice views and great local food.

100m from my office looking down range.

1 Like

I suspect you caught an episode visiting this place

1 Like

Had friends with niece visit. So conversation is chatting with nieces aunt and we mention the nieces mother. Niece says to me so you know my mother. I’m like actually I know your mom before I met your aunt.

Niece is how so. I reply I did her student visa for Australia where she met your father. Without me you would not exist lol…

SO today we go buy some breakfast at 6am from local breaky shop then head up to a nice place to take our dogs and have a nice view. Niece wants to see up close a tea farm.

7 Likes

Brunch at my friends place… lovely weather today, nice temperature fresh air and coffee and snacks.

Watching the world roll by living in peace and tranquility

2 Likes

Damn, that looks nice.

Yeah nice weather up here atm

Train from Alishan National Forest area to Zhushan sunrise observation area renovated station opened area is repaired and running again after 3 years.

1 Like

This should be the correct link

1 Like