Child support if unmarried under Taiwanese law

Under Taiwanese law, if a foreigner (Male) and local citizen (Female) are unmarried, the local becomes pregnant and decides to have the child (against the male’s wishes, or maybe because she wants to claim child support), can the local force the foreigner to pay child support after giving birth? How much would she be able to claim from child support?

Example: Bob meets Mira on Tinder and have a one night hookup and wears condoms. The condom isn’t 100% effective and Mira becomes pregnant. Mira tells Bob, who says he’s not ready for kids. Mira knows Bob is rich so goes through with childbirth and now wants 50% of Bob’s income per month for child support. Bob has significant assets in Taiwan (house, business) and can’t run away. How will the courts treat Bob in this case?

Also, no I didn’t get a girl pregnant. I’d like to know how safe it is to date locals.

3 Likes

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

11 Likes

From reading your post, you better join a monastery.

2 Likes

I really think you should’ve picked a better fake name. This is really too on the nose. I believe that this is just a hypothetical question.

I don’t know the answer, but I know I will be opening up a company in the Caymans and moving everything there just in case.

4 Likes

sometimes hindsight is 20/20. but better late than never to upgrade ones ways.

1 Like

I don’t want to be anal about it, but there are ways to have fun without risking pregnancy. Getting snipped is one.

11 Likes

I mean, you could be anal about it. At least it doesn’t result in pregnancy.

8 Likes

You can find gold-diggers everywhere, even foreigners in Taiwan might not be safe to date. The risk is of course lower with guys and/or anal. But the only real defense against gold-diggers is to put all your assets into a charitable trust. @Marco has a good CPA/lawyer team who could advise you.

1 Like

Just then date women richer than you, then they do not need money from you? A lot more high income and better educated women nowdays for you too choose from, infact I think women now have higher education for the most part

5 Likes

Maybe don’t compensate by leading with how big your bank account is?

4 Likes

Better pull out before someone makes a buttsex joke

Oops, i came too fast

3 Likes

You should be worried about STDs as well. Or you could stop worrying about both of these problems by wrapping it up.

1 Like

If you take all your dates to IKEA, they’ll probably just assume you don’t have any assets to pillage in the first place. This way, you can also be sure they like you for your charming personality and impeccable etiquette.

7 Likes

Dude, he said

I think this might be the only way. But I’m worried the doctors here don’t have enough experience.

Also is it innocent until proven guilty (with a DNA test) here, or guilty until proven innocent in the case of a local suing a foreigner for child support? Any foreigners have first hand experience with this? I’d imaging connections with the local judge plays a role too?

All the cases that have played out on Forumosa (so far, although maybe you can be the first) have been fathers who want to support their kids, not deadbeat dads.

3 Likes

If the other party really went through with the childbirth against the guy’s wishes and they used protection, I’d pay something reasonable by local standards, but not half my salary if it’s just a casual relationship that hasn’t progressed onto something serious. I’m wondering whether there’s some case law I can read through about past settlements.

Also some might be vindictive and request half your income without allowing you to visit the kid, since there’s no marriage, and a judge may side with the local

1 Like

If you’re that paranoid about knocking a girl up, maybe you should just…

6 Likes

:thinking::crazy_face::exploding_head:

2 Likes

Bob thinks unwed single mothers with mutant “foreign” kids have an easy peazy life in Taiwan.

2 Likes