China censoring the rest of the world

Namewee is the musical artist with the most integrity in the Chinese speaking world. Half of Taiwan’s celebrities are worth less than dirt on the bottom of his shoes

1 Like

I think Namewee can get away with not kissing the CCP’s ass because of his Malaysian background and being able to speak multiple languages and the appeal to multiple Southeast Asian markets. So despite most of his contents are in Mandarin, he wouldn’t be left completely dry without the Chinese market. Of course, he could still haven chosen to kowtow to the CCP, that’s where his integrity comes in.

Nigel on the other hand is a Malaysian living in the UK, making a living by telling jokes in English. The fact that he felt the need to apologize to China and delete his video is very disturbing. Even if he posts his content on Chinese social media, is he really making more money in China than from the rest of the world?

2 Likes

He has been on Weibo for a while now and speaks perfect Mandarin, which isn’t surprising as Malaysian Chinese. There is a huge potential market there for him, but he can survive otherwise

But Namewee could be on that big big PRC cultural department gravy train and doesn’t care. Remember when Show Lo lost his three TV show deals after last year scandal, was supposed to be worth more than 100 million USD. Wild money

Yeah, but he has already made that video with Mike Chen. Regardless if he apologizes, now the Chinese netizens can take that and lord over his head and brand him as anti-China anytime they want.

To me, the best way, and the moral way to deal with the situation is to just leave the video on youtube and ignore Chinese haters.

The second best way to deal with this is take the ASUS approach, delete the video and then pretend nothing happened.

The moment you cave, and issue that ass kissing apology, you now face backlash from both people outside of China as well as Chinese netizens who will never let that video go.

2 Likes

I read somewhere that Nigel Ng claims that he has made no money in China, and he did this just so that he doesn’t offend anyone…

It’s egg, rice … fried.

A guy in diapers that needs to call me uncle.

1 Like

He shouldn’t have thrown Mike Chen under a bus then.

2 Likes

He hasn’t made money yet, is his meaning

2 Likes

Well. Now he has offended EVERYONE!

2 Likes

Mike Chen’s response

2 Likes

So, Mike Chen wasn’t informed before the video got deleted. When he learned something had happened, he tried to contact Nigel and realized Nigel had unfollowed/unfriended him.

2 Likes

Usually the way it works in China is that content makers sign deals with the huge MCN that promote them in China. He just signed to BiliBili so guess this was the case and also speaks Chinese so value high. The MCN contracts are big but have labyrinthine clauses and if you do anything politically incorrect you lose your money and I think some kept in arrears.

The reasonably famous Taiwan youtuber Potter King whose contract with MCN was cancelled for making a video with Tsai Yingwen, said the money he lost was huge.

My guess is Ng got a contract worth multiple million dollars and then got a phone call and said he would lose it if he didn’t immediately take down the video with Mikey Chen and delete all connection

4 Likes

I really didn’t like his videos anyway. He acted like he represented all asians, my gf wouldn’t know half of the stuff he was talking about.

He talked shit about others fried rice, but when he made his own one, all he did was use rice, egg, spring onion and put a ladle full of MSG in to try to be funny. His fried rice was crap. I wouldn’t eat it.

And the jokes on him really, all its going to take is for the UK to do something that ‘hurts the chinese feelings’, and his chinese audience will flip on him at the drop of a hat.

1 Like

His channel was growing about 10000 a day…until the day he deleted it. The unsubscribers are making a dent!

2 Likes

Since no one has shared this video yet, let me be the one to post it first.

2 Likes

It has been posted on Forumosa a few times already. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

e.g. here Funny Political Videos - #116 by tango42

1 Like

I guess I missed it since I don’t often visit the “Funny Political whatever” threads, though the video is definitely fitting here, considering we’ve been talking about Namewee.

Wow, I used to like Uncle Roger. Well, fuck him. I’m never watching a video from that sellout again.

2 Likes

I actually told youtube not to recommend his videos, although it still shows up in my feed from time to time.