China Cracking Down on Foreigners?

edition.cnn.com/2012/06/03/world … le_sidebar

I say, come to Taiwan, y’all foreigners wanting to leave China!

awesome country full of awesome people, can’t judge, that would be racist.

[quote=“shawn_c”]http://edition.CNN.com/2012/06/03/world/asia/china-foreigner-crackdown-florcruz/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

I say, come to Taiwan, y’all foreigners wanting to leave China![/quote]

Please do not encourage them to come here. We have enough. Plus there is a criminal element among some foreigners that perhaps you are not recognizing, but so far Taiwan has been relatively free of this problem, and I’d like to see it stay that way.

As for xenophobia in China, yeah, I’ve seen plenty of it. The Chinese government likes to whip up anti-foreign sentiment to distract the local populace from recognizing how corrupt and brutal their own government is. Xenophobia is not unique to China, but it is a time-tested tradition (especially in dictatorships) that always seems to work.

That having been said, China does have a real problem with illegal immigrants. The majority are Nigerians:

Nigeria, China close ranks on illegal migration, rail, others

Over 1000 Nigerians are in Chinese prisons. Some are there for visa violations, but also stuff like drug dealing, theft, fraud, kidnapping and prostitution. Nigeria is the organized crime capital of Africa, and Nigerian expats don’t necessarily leave those bad habits at home when they go abroad. I find the recent wave of kidnappings particularly ominous, and it’s driving a lot of wealthier Nigerians out of their country (with the kidnappers following as the juiciest targets move abroad):

Pervasive Kidnapping in Nigeria: Symptom of A Failing State?

Of course, the majority of Nigerians in China are working legally, but their highly visible presence still causes a lot of resentment. Being “black in public” offends a rather large percentage of the Chinese (who, they will tell you, are not racist).

INSIDE GUANGZHOU TANGQI MARKET:NIGERIANS,CHINESE MARKETPLACE

There is also some serious crime in Beijing coming from Eastern Europeans gangs. But being white in China makes one slightly less visible than being black.

If you watch the video, you’ll see the guy was messing with the girl and he got messed up. Should have beaten more than the shit out of him. Don’t invite those pricks here! The girl in the video has a visa, but she is concerned that it might not get renewed. She is LEGALLY in the country. Why do they make her look like a criminal? I had a chat to an American guy about this earlier today and he said it is an indication of how backward the Chinese are. Really. Didn’t the US do EXACTLY the same to Spanish people a while ago. You look white, let me see your visa (in China) You look Hispanic, let me see your visa (in America)

No I don’t think it was the Spanish … it would be ‘Latinos’ …

But US officials don’t call Latinos foreign scum! (At least not yet.) Or randomly lock them in rooms and take pictures of them… Nice try, though. :bravo:

But US officials don’t call Latinos foreign scum! (At least not yet.) Or randomly lock them in rooms and take pictures of them… Nice try, though. :bravo:[/quote]

And literally MILLIONS of hispanics cross the US borders illegally every year to live and work, long term.

I don’t think MILLIONS of bignoses are running to Beijing or Shanghai illegally.

But US officials don’t call Latinos foreign scum! (At least not yet.) Or randomly lock them in rooms and take pictures of them… Nice try, though. :bravo:[/quote]
Maybe you should try reading my entire post. The issue is about being randomly asked for your visa. Do you have one. No problem. Locked in rooms. You are going to take the word of the girls who refused to show her face and claims that she has a valid visa but would rather travel home with all her stuff. Nice try as well. Good on you. Some dick head TV presenter called them foreign scum. Not the government. Want me to go look for some racist Yankee supporter who called Hispanics Scum. That might be hard considering their best players are Hispanic, but not impossible. Don’t call the government on something they didn’t say.

So two wrongs do make a right, it seems.

Maybe you should try reading my entire post. The issue is about being randomly asked for your visa. Do you have one. No problem. Locked in rooms. You are going to take the word of the girls who refused to show her face and claims that she has a valid visa but would rather travel home with all her stuff. Nice try as well. Good on you. Some dick head TV presenter called them foreign scum. Not the government. Want me to go look for some racist Yankee supporter who called Hispanics Scum. That might be hard considering their best players are Hispanic, but not impossible. Don’t call the government on something they didn’t say.[/quote]

Who do you think encourages (and i say that loosely) the tv announcers to say what they do? ill give you 3 guesses.

Maybe you should try reading my entire post. The issue is about being randomly asked for your visa. Do you have one. No problem. Locked in rooms. You are going to take the word of the girls who refused to show her face and claims that she has a valid visa but would rather travel home with all her stuff. Nice try as well. Good on you. Some dick head TV presenter called them foreign scum. Not the government. Want me to go look for some racist Yankee supporter who called Hispanics Scum. That might be hard considering their best players are Hispanic, but not impossible. Don’t call the government on something they didn’t say.[/quote]

Who do you think encourages (and I say that loosely) the tv announcers to say what they do? ill give you 3 guesses.[/quote]

Not necessarily. You need to watch the coming months. If that message is repeated by the media around China then yes. Otherwise it was a one-off statement that he felt he could get away with.

There’s of course an immense amount of censorship in China but a great deal of scope for personal expression when events first happen. If you are lucky you start the wave the government wants. If unlucky you say the wrong thing which can result in a destroyed career.

I wouldn’t be surprised that there are over 1 million Chinese working illegally abroad (U.S. and Europe). What ever the number, that Beijing resident needs to get in touch with reality.

perhaps the most accurate and far reaching thing ever posted on the internet.

well done champ!

The issue isn’t about visa checks. That takes place all over the world…It’s about xenophobia, which I hinted to in my last post and which is very obvious in the CNN report. Nice try. :bravo:

The Chinese are intelligent people, I am sure they will find a way to curb their crime rate without too many peoples’ feelings getting hurt.

Who do you think encourages (and I say that loosely) the tv announcers to say what they do? ill give you 3 guesses.[/quote][/quote]

One commentator was enough to start off a wave of anti foreigner hatred… I can’t say for sure as I have never lived in China but it would make sense in a very media controlled environment such as China that the hatred stems from things that are relayed in the media, possibly with the governments tacit approval.

And the government is the one who stoked it further by starting a crackdown to make it look like they are doing something about the problem.

I have friends from the mainland and they are nothing like what the article discusses, but it is making me second guess if I want to go there this year for a vacation… :sunglasses:

Every country does it.
France passed that immigration law a few years back.
Australia is currently going through a fiasco with Indonesia.
The states is always up to something with Mexicans.
South America has immigration problems as well.
China is doing it now? They are just joining a long list of countries doing the exact same things.
No reason to knock them for what other countries have been doing for years.

Unfortunately they are joining the club of foreigner bashing, it’s always a popular outlet.

There is some state backing behind it though, if you go to China and look at CCTV you will see a lot of media attention recently towards the ‘South China Sea’ and the American ‘interference in the Pacific’.

It suits the commies especially when they are going through a leadership change and a lot of dirty laundry (Bo Xi Lai) has been aired recently.

The likely next Chinese President’s family (Xi Jin Ping) is said to be worth 380 million USD . A ministerial salary in China is about 12,000 USD/year.
To see how corrupted their system has become look at these articles.

theconversation.edu.au/chinas-le … doors-5855
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … lions.html

[quote=“baberenglish”]Every country does it.
France passed that immigration law a few years back.
Australia is currently going through a fiasco with Indonesia.
The states is always up to something with Mexicans.
South America has immigration problems as well.
China is doing it now? They are just joining a long list of countries doing the exact same things.
No reason to knock them for what other countries have been doing for years.[/quote]

The ironic thing is that national border control started in 1875 in America, in response to the importation of Asian (mostly Chinese) contract labourers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_Act_of_1875

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Unfortunately they are joining the club of foreigner bashing, it’s always a popular outlet.

There is some state backing behind it though, if you go to China and look at CCTV you will see a lot of media attention recently towards the ‘South China Sea’ and the American ‘interference in the Pacific’.

It suits the commies especially when they are going through a leadership change and a lot of dirty laundry (Bo Xi Lai) has been aired recently.

The likely next Chinese President’s family (Xi Jin Ping) is said to be worth 380 million USD . A ministerial salary in China is about 12,000 USD/year.
To see how corrupted their system has become look at these articles.

theconversation.edu.au/chinas-le … doors-5855
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … lions.html[/quote]

Great articles… will be reading…

I live in China. Have done for seven years. Same city - Xiamen.

I’ve noticed periodic waves of anti-foreigner sentiment, especially in the last 2-3 months.

Fuck that, I’m in the prime of my life. I aint sticking around to be abused by a bunch of mouth breathers.

I listed things that peeve me about China (50+), and things I like about China (good salary, great apartment), and that’s when I realized it’s time to roll…