🇨🇳 China | Layover/Transit in Shanghai

Hello people,

I am a British Citizen currently living in Taitung, Taiwan and heading back to the UK to see family for the Christmas/New Year period. However, I would like some facts about my return journey…
On January 18th 2014 I will be arriving in Shanghai’s Pudong international airport. The next day I need to leave from Shanghai’s Hongqiao international airport in order to get my flight back to Taiwan, arriving at Taipei’s Songshan domestic airport. So, I’ll be in Shanghai for less than 24 hours. I’m guessing there must be an airport shuttle bus to take transit passengers from Pudong airport to Hongqiao airport (?) I hold a red British passport. Do I need to get a (G) Visa for that short period of time? If so, I’ll go to a travel agent and sort it out. Thank you for any answers anyone can provide. (Tim).

No, you don’t.

Pudong to Hongqiao: take the MAGLEV then the underground. It takes 90 mins or so and is a fcking ballache. Leave plenty of time.

You’ll be needing a TWOV (transit without visa), which is issued at immigration on demand. There’s no need for you to run off and sort anything out. Just queue up as normal at immigration once you get to PVG, & when u get to the front of the queue, the boys there will call a supervisor, and stand you to one side. He’ll take away your passport, and proof of onward ticket, and return shortly with the transit stamp. That gives you a full 24 hrs (or maybe 48 now) in China.

I’m also from UK, and I’ve done this trip a couple of times already.

Thank you for this information. This TWOV, does it mean I would have to make my way straight to the other airport without stepping foot on the streets of Shanghai. Is it that restrictive? Or am I able to take in a few sights, enjoy a dinner and get a good night’s rest somewhere?

Tim.

Once you’ve got the TWOV, life is back to normal - just go! PIck up your bags (mine are never checked through to my destination if I travel via Shanghai), and head out into town. You’re free to do whatever you like in China: see the city, get a hotel. The only condition is that you must be out of the country before that TWOV expires in 24/48 hours time.

edit - seems that you now get 72 hours :astonished:
https://www.chinaembassy.org.nz/eng/lsqz/t1002503.htm

Yeah, my mum did it off on one of her jollies. She stayed there two nights, I think. It wasn’t as nice as Australia, apparently

Get the maglev into town, Enjoy, then get on Line 2 underground to Hongqiao. S’fine.

wow i read that you cannot do that for british! it’s half tempting to book a flight that stops in china to have some fun, but then i would probably end up using a chinese airline… no thanks.

I am contemplating buying a China Eastern return ticket to Frankfurt. Looks like the cheapest option as far as I can tell. That would mean 7 and 5 hour layovers in Shanghai. Never done Shanghai. Will there be enough time to go out and get a glimpse of the city? Are there long lines to worry about? The 7 hours will be in the evening. The 5 hours in the morning. I guess 5 hours are not enough?

Pre-COVID that transfer point was widely viewed as one of the least pleasant (maybe PEK was worse). Now after COVID, with a host of new restrictions . . . well I don’t know your finances and how much money you will save, but there is no amount of money that would persuade me to try this now (and yes I understand Germans and Canadians may not be treated the same). :neutral_face:

Regarding saving money: have you used google flights to compare other flight options and prices?

Guy

1 Like

I knew you would reply to this like this.

I just want to know if there is enough time to leave the airport, take the magnetic train, see Shanghai with my own eyes and then go back to the airport.

I am not looking for the most pleasant experience.

Fair enough.

Guy

Btw. Google Flights does not show the lowest prices as far as I can tell. Several of the flight checkers l tried gave me lower ones.

1 Like

That’s helpful! Which flight checkers are you using nowadays?

Guy

There should be enough time if no delays. The MAG train does not go anywhere of mush interest to most, but if you want try it once like me, is nice experience. Subway line connects to central area but is quite far from Pudong Airport.

2 Likes

I will second what @afterspivak said, it’s been a while since I transited through Pudong but it was never smooth when I did. A taxi to town can take you an hour even more depending on traffic and what area you plan to go to. Post covid I’m not sure what restrictions they have in place but at best you would end up going through immigration twice.
I once had a stop there on the way to another airport in China, they made everyone get off and go through immigration, then the ones going to the next airport got back on the same aeroplane to the next airport then had to go through immigration again (same checks as the first but no stamp).

if you do go leave yourself plenty of time to get back into the airport.

1 Like

cheapoair.com found me the lowest rates, I believe

Hey, I could save some more with a China Air flight via Chengdu…

Anything to do in Chengdu during a 9 hour layover?

If I was going to do it I would maybe stretch the first layover into two nights, then you would have plenty of time to look around

1 Like

I think I am going to stretch the day by taking an early flight to Hongqiao, then I have 11 hours to work myself to Pudong and can get to both sides of the river.

Btw. this will likely be in August, so less restrictions, unless they have started something else by then…

Half a day later…

After reading tons of atrocious reviews of China Eastern I now wonder if I want to risk having a flight cancelled without compensation or experience some of the worst airline service you can find so that I can share that experience here and elsewhere.

Or be pleasantly surprised when expecting the worst.

3 Likes

I did try to bring this issue to your attention. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

I booked the tickets already. :smirk: Not really worried too much.

Even Qatar Airways has negative reviews. You have hundreds of thousand satisfied silent customers, those few that are not satisfied will always be the loudest.

Should people avoid going to China because of the political situation? I dunno, think it’s important to interact and meet the people on the other side. That’s why l rather layover in Shanghai than Dubai for example. Would love to do that in India too.