China lost control over a rocket delivering a section of the Tiangong space station

Then muslims, taiwanese, feminists, environmentalists, Tibetans, kenyans, US republicans, BLM, human rights activists, WHO etc etc kept buying their shit and turning a blind eye. and all the worlds people kept investing in their system WHILST knowing full well what they are about.

The only interesting thing about the next mass extinction event is knowing we chose it. Rather than a natural event like a rock from space.

Well, I was going to say;

https://aerospace.org/reentries/cz-5b-rocket-body-id-48275

But

Worked earlier this evening. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Might need a VPN. China’s great firewall censored it.

1 Like

Perhaps a bandwidth issue? probably a few million people ocd checking if they will be incinerated or not thsi saturday. Send CCP the bill for bandwidth usage, electricity costs etc. Anything and everything. flood them with bullshit the same way they flood the rest of the world with bullshit.

Worked for me, thanks. That other link was on npr, I didn’t register either

Watch it live on YouTube https://youtu.be/29HGFep3Zek

Maybe make it fall in China. But it would then require you to launch a GIANT rocket to intercept it, then steer it so it falls on China. And whoever doing it will likely piss off China (and they will know, like I said, a GIANT rocket), because it will be an act of war.

The stuff won’t stay in orbit forever anyways. It can only skip off the atmosphere for so long until it loses enough energy to reenter. I mean stuff in low orbit needed continuous boost to even maintain the orbit because there’s still enough drag at low orbit to bring it down. It may take a year but it doesn’t stay up there forever.

It’s only GEO where it’s a concern, because at Geostationary orbit, you’re over 30,000km away from the Earth, there is no air to slow things down, so stuff will stay in orbit basically forever (like millions of years). So anyone launching for GEO must have provision for a graveyard orbit once the satellite is no longer useful, because not only stuff don’t deorbit at all, but there are only so many slots for GEO orbit.

I’m beginnig to think it’s not coming down anytime soon. The altitude is now cycling between the perigee and apogee of the orbit, and not really getting any lower.

It’s going to come down. It may take a couple of months though. But it can’t keep bouncing around without it losing speed. Also at low orbit it’s going to lose speed anyways because there are still air up there.

I’ve seen sketchy reports that it has already crashed into the Indian Ocean, near the Maldives.

4 Likes

Came down this morning

Can anyone confirm whether the Maldives are still there?

Can you imagine the narrative? “Oops sorry, Maldives! What? You definitely need to patch up things. I know, you have no money. We will help you make it a nice place again. [construction done] You have no money to pay us back? That’s ok, we will take it from here.” Maldives now is Chinese.

:laughing:

1 Like

Unless the rocket section is solid steel or titanium (highly doubtful as the payload would never make orbit if it were so), the section would have burned to a crisp and likely would see a spectacular meteor, that might end with a few kg if that hitting the ground at around 150mph.

Far from the nuclear explosion people expect.

Actually more likely the section would have been made of aluminum or some kind of lightweight composite, with engine probably being the heaviest. Rockets must be LIGHT because you need a 10:1 fuel to payload ratio to put anything in orbit.

And aluminum would have vaporized almost immediately without protection when exposed to reentry heat. Kinda like Space Shuttle Columbia.

Well yeah … I was only kidding. Even assuming it remained intact, it would have made a big splash at worst if hansioux’s estimate for terminal velocity was accurate.

My guess is that a lot of it either burned away on reentry, or it broke up. Or both.

But I have to wonder if there was anything other space agencies would or could do to prevent this “problem”?

Because as far as I can see weight is a serious problem and making engines restartable seems to be a technical challenge too. So I have to wonder if NASA in the early days did similar thing, just let the third stage drift on and who cares where it goes.

But it’s a thing when China does it, because China bad.

Skylab broke up and rained down on Australia forty years ago.

I don’t think anyone expects this.

There’s a link in this thread that addresses your question.

3 Likes

It’s fine

1 Like