"China refugees"

Watching the drama going on in the Mediterranean-Sea between Turkey and Greece …

I do wonder, why are there no Mainland-Chinese trying to get to Taiwan doing the same thing ?
Take KinMen, just a few kilometers away …
Yeah, that sounds like a very dumb question, but as it seems to be a good and modern way to make the way in
your “dream country” (no idea, if Taiwan is such a country for mainland chinese).

How would Taiwan react - would Taiwan send those people back, knowing they likely would face prison terms?

Mainland-Chinese are having a pretty good improvement in lifestyle these days. If you have even a little money, China can be a exponentially more luxurious cosmopolitan lifestyle than Taiwan. There is so much more of everything available in China than Taiwan including opportunities for Chinese.

The reverse has been happening for decades. Taiwanese have been going to China for economic opportunities. Some of the largest companies and populations in China are Taiwanese.

Taiwanese businessmen would probably swim there if that would ensure a good business opportunity.

The “dream countries” are USA, UK, etc. where Chinese are buying up homes, condo’s, apartment buildings, businesses, land… Taiwan is catching a little of that same action.

[quote=“MoTi”]Watching the drama going on in the Mediterranean-Sea between Turkey and Greece …

I do wonder, why are there no Mainland-Chinese trying to get to Taiwan doing the same thing ?
Take Kinmen (Jinmen), just a few kilometers away …
Yeah, that sounds like a very dumb question, but as it seems to be a good and modern way to make the way in
your “dream country” (no idea, if Taiwan is such a country for mainland chinese).

How would Taiwan react - would Taiwan send those people back, knowing they likely would face prison terms?[/quote]

They live in little shanty towns on the outskirts of cities such as Ningbo and Wenzhou, the poor migrants. Why would they go to Taiwan? They would not find the same kind of construction work, there, and it would be easy to ‘catch’ them and deport them as it would be obvious who they were.

There are large numbers of refugees from Mainland China, but you just don’t hear about them, especially here in Taiwan. Mostly because it is a very profitable human trafficking business, backed by “government” officials on many countries.

You wil hear about in Central America for example when every few months or so a boat capsizes with 600 or so many souls on board. That rarely makes the international news, not even a CNN prompter. You see, larger numbers, up to several thousand of Chinese, are crammed in fishing boats, taken to Central or South America, and then work in indentured slavery there until they have enough to pay off their debt to the snakeheads in China and the coyotes that will take them on the great hike across the Rio Grande. The great goal is making it to the US, not Taiwan.

In Taiwan, well, we have the hero celebrations when the soldiers surrendered in Korea after the war and came to the Island. Mostly because of the still ongoing war, in later decades, any pang or raft where people would try to come, would be shot on sight… if it even made it out to sea. The Taiwan Strait is a trecherous killing machine of rough seas. No Mediterranean calm. And even the inner sea has taken so many lives…

With relations so “good” and “close” now, of course any boat people nowadays would be sent back, as they would symbolize an embarrasment to the Motherland. Here, they would argue illegal immigrants and unfair competitive cheap workers and so and so.

Now, we do have large numbers of Mainland women being sold or selling themselves in sexual trade in Taiwan, but as other posters have said, there are other opportunities for economic advance in their own land-like, being the mistress of a rich guy in one of the many mistress cities with fancy apartments set in the periphery of the larger citadels, for example. Or they marry legally, say, an abei of 80 or 90 who yearsn for a taste of the Mainland…

The worker trade is big business, managed by cartels who feed up governments. They are a tool of social stability, you see, giving people the illusion that they are actually doing something for their families by sending money home. Hence, the cartel of South East Asia would be trading Mainland workers -and it will- if it can do so with great profit and larger impunity.

Economic refugees make the largest number. If you are a political refugee, you won’t make it out of China alive and then come to Taiwan. Too close for comfort. Just take a look at the ones that did make it out from Tiannamen and what became of them. Happy campers they ain’t.

Taiwan has always deported the poor Chinese. It doesn’t want them. One billion Chinese (those who are not part of the “haves” ) can literally over-run the rock.

Maybe we can spare a thought for all those economic refugees from the USA, Canada, the UK, etc, who fled to Taiwan because the only job they could get at home was minimum wage flipping burgers. Thanks to Taiwan, they can prosper simply by displaying a big nose and speaking English. Those college degrees they hold in Art History, Philosophy and Ethnic Studies may be useless at home, but in Taiwan they’re pure gold.

Yawn.

C’mon, tell us all what you do for a living, son? Curing cancer, is it?

“Rudeness is the weak man’s imitation of strength.”

The hypocrisy. :bravo:

[quote=“Ermintrude”]
C’mon, tell us all what you do for a living, son? Curing cancer, is it?[/quote]

When did I ever say I wasn’t a refugee? However, unlike many of my fellow big nose refugees, I don’t feel the need to pretend that I’m any better than the Chinese refugees who come here and do actual work like construction. The Indonesian housemaids contribute more to this society than we do. But we get paid more thanks to those bullshit sociology degrees. I know that we’re a fraud - just amazes me that the Taiwanese still believe in the West, with our declining economic and political institutions.

“We are all subprime now.”

• Doris “Tanta” Dungey

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”][quote=“Ermintrude”]

When did I ever say I wasn’t a refugee? However, unlike many of my fellow big nose refugees, I don’t feel the need to pretend that I’m any better than the Chinese refugees who come here and do actual work like construction. The Indonesian housemaids contribute more to this society than we do. But we get paid more thanks to those bullshit sociology degrees. I know that we’re a fraud - just amazes me that the Taiwanese still believe in the West, with our declining economic and political institutions.

• Doris “Tanta” Dungey[/quote]

Jesus, I believe you. Try having a bit of pride in yourself, maybe, and your prospects will improve?

I wanted to go back to Taiwan to teach English, I have a degree in it. I was informed that I don’t have the right skin color.

This came to mind regarding this discussion:

PRC Chinese seem to have money. Everywhere I travel in Asia I always see hordes of mainland Chinese buying a whole lot of things at the duty free shops. More than I could afford to buy,

Yeah, where I live in China, most people seem pretty well off. People seem more entrepreneurial and less inclined to do some 20000NT desk jockey crap. Then of course, there are the migrant workers who try and sneak into my compound and pick the fruit from the trees and do their laundry in the river. Much more of a rich-poor gap. The vast majority of PRC citizens don’t ever leave China, though.

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”][quote=“Ermintrude”]

Building shit that falls down in a stiff breeze is not ‘actual work’. That’s unskilled labour at its cheapest and most base. If you think you’re no better than a coolie I suggest you go back to school.

[quote=“kungfuken”][quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”][quote=“Ermintrude”]

Building shit that falls down in a stiff breeze is not ‘actual work’. That’s unskilled labour at its cheapest and most base. If you think you’re no better than a coolie I suggest you go back to school.[/quote]

It’s rare that a reply to my post does so much to prove my point, without intending to do so. Thanks, and keep it coming.

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]
It’s rare that a reply to my post does so much to prove my point, without intending to do so. Thanks, and keep it coming.[/quote]

Paging Dr Freud…

At this very moment, there are 16000 non Central American migrants making the Northbound hike to the US through Central America. Currently, about 4000, from Cuba, Africa and assorted Asian nations, are being contained at the Panama-Costa Rica border, with plenty of clashes and ensuing violence.

Human trafficking is big business indeed.