🇨🇳 China | Traveling in China

OK, visa run is coming up, I gotta plan something stat with CNY around the corner! I was thinking extended layover in HK, get a visa, then see some of China. My Mandarin is terrible. I am pretty sure I can get by, but its never pretty. So anyway, I was thinking about matching up with a tour group or something… I don’t really want to spend a bunch of money, but I figure I will get more out of it this way? Any suggestions? I really want to see the great wall, but other than that, just whatever really.

go for it! might as well get some vacation out of an infernal visa run…

Get someone who speaks chinese to look up local Taiwanese agents who may have nice packages to China with nonstop from Taiwan?

I did cheap packages to Macau with AirMacau (thru local agents) . 3 nites at a 2 star hotel with food (nothing to write home bout) and air ticket for 12000nt for two (has to be for two share). And Macau is a cheap ferry ride away from HK.

CAthay Pacific has some reasonable tours if you contact their local TW office. Not cheap but reasonable.

I would avoid the tour groups. Try and get a deal on flights and grab a copy of lonely planet and you are ready to go especially Beijing and environs. Airfare is pretty expensive. I wonder if they still have the train from HK to Beijing. Quite a journey in itself…

Planning a trip during Chinese New Year (13FEB Saturday till 21FEB Sunday) can be stressful as ticket prices go up and seat availability goes down. To ensure your trip goes as planned, and you get the best price, it’s best to book in advance.

Don’t bother traveling around once you’re in China either. Everything will be booked solid a week before and after CNY.

There is a train from Hong Kong to Beijing (or at least you transfer into China and you’re at the station, then can just get on the train). I think it takes about 30 hours, but I can’t really remember - it was a few years ago. Hard-sleeper class trains are comfortable enough. CHina also has a lot of cheap internal flights which may be a better option, ask around in hong kong.

It’s like 24 hours (take or give an hour)
See more here: seat61.com/China.htm

And to borrow the thread for a quick question, as I’m also planning a trip to china soon, that may be of interest for everyone.
Which is the last day you want to travel in China concidering the great CNY vacations?
(i.e. what is the last day before CNY that you can find a room for a night in Beijing and a flight back to Taiwan for a reasonable price).

You can pretty much forget about getting a train near the CNY holidays in China. Only people who know the proper ticket touts can get tickets.

Not only that but the trains are not going to be a pleasant experience. Note that sales of adult incontinence pads peak around CNY because it is impossible to get to the toilets during the journeys.

You also have to be extremely careful with your belongings. It is the time when migrant workers are taking home all the savings they earned over the year - therefore thieves abound due to the rich pickings. Not only that but if someone is returning home without a substantial stash, they might be tempted to supplement their savings some other way.

You will also have to share any of the sights worth seeing in China with 1.3 billion people who are on holiday. Once they’ve done their family meal they will want to see all the famous sights. Unless you personally know of a hideaway which is not in the LP, be prepared to share your holiday with the hordes who are now wealthy enough to discover their own country’s treasures.

To sum up in one word about travelling in China during CNY: Avoid

How close is “near”? One week? Two weeks? Never?

Reviving this thread in July 2023 to revisit its title—and to indicate that the US government now recommends that US citizens don’t.

Guy

4 Likes

I really want to visit parts of China like yunnan but its such a pain these days.

4 Likes

Lots of other interesting places in this world to spend our hard-earned cash. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you’re hankering for tastes of Yunnan, message me when you’re in Taipei and we can hit up some of the tasty eats on Huaxin Street and environs.

Guy

1 Like

Seems like yesterday (not three decades) that I was enjoying Tiger Leaping gorge, the tea houses of Lijiang and the Pu-er tea plantations of Xishuangbanna. Would love to go back.

Think the US said/has been saying the same for travel to HK.
Does China really care if you travel there when you’ve never done anything wrong towards it?
Most of us here are so far off CCP’s radar even with random comments we make.

Of course the majority of travellers will not be detained. But the range of possible “crimes” now is eye-brow raising, especially as local officials want to look as patriotic as possible in enforcing the latest laws including Beijing’s notorious anti-espionage law. If you have not done so, I would encourage you to check out some of the details in the AP story linked above.

Guy

2 Likes

No need.
I went to HK last summer just before Xi entered for handover anniversary. HK then probably like China now.
Interviewed extensively at immigration, as was another Taiwanese traveler on same plane.
Were let through.
Just have proper documents, hotel stay, reason to be there, etc.
Anyway, everyone has their own limit to travel speed bumps.

Yup no need to read. You just be you!

Guy

1 Like

I went through it. Have you?

It’s really fucking sad how things have become. I keep thinking that one day I will be blocked from speaking to my friends on WeChat. Hope we can return to more peaceful and happier times.

3 Likes