China's genocide of Uighurs and news suppression

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/11/20/apple-uighur/

How is poor Apple supposed to make a profit without slavery in their supply chain!?! /s

2 Likes

They actually can make twice the profit than all other smartphones without slavery. It does to show how easy it is to sell people a brand name instead of actual specs.

3 Likes

In case anyone buys from Zara, don’t buy from them.

If even Canadians are issuing condemnations, you know things are getting serious.

Still, I’d like to know what is actually going on there on the ground. It’s a safe bet that both the Chinese media and the Western media are telling outright lies in pursuit of their respective political goals. Is anyone aware of a more reliable source of news on the subject?

Cut ties with huawei

1 Like

that’s enough reason to stop all business with Huawei right there, let alone any potential spying through switches and 5G towers.

But they are far from the only dirty player who is selling a crap ton of stuff in the west. So many surveillance systems and IoT device managers come straight from the exact same people who honed their craft surveilling their own people. And all those drones and cameras!

In the extreme case, just think about what your cheap Chinese drones could do when harnessed together in a bot war, or just how vulnerable your IoT things are to hacking and data theft if the need arose.

1 Like

The number of Chinese shills on reddit and twitter is staggering. At least twitter bans some Chinese shill accounts. Reddit on the other hand still leaves genocidal subreddits like r/sino intact. It’s repulsive.

Even Reddit and Liveleak have deleted older videos of oppressive treatment of Uighurs. For example there used to be a bunch of videos of the forced marriage ceremonies (forcing Uighur wives to marry Chinese husbands) on Liveleak but it’s all taken down now. I know Tencent (CCP) has a stake in Reddit now, but I wonder what happened to Liveleak - totally different content from what it used to be. A simple “Uighur” or “uyghur” or “xinjiang” search doesn’t bring up any of the first hand historical documentation that has been up for many years before. The link still shows up for some videos but when you click it it says “video and account terminated”. CCP is erasing history before our eyes… and western media is bending to it.

2 Likes
1 Like

That’s troubling. Can you dig into it more ?

The video take down from liveleak is still in the TaiwanNews page - however Youtube also took down the second video in the article.

On Google you can search “Uighur marriage liveleak” or “uyghur marriage liveleak” and only one or two links pop up but they are dead links after clicking on them. Even from within the liveleak site, searching “Uighur marriage” or “uyghur marriage” brings up blank page. This wasn’t always the case - between 2014-2018 you could find many examples - usually group ceremonies where dozens of Uighur women were being forced to marry Han ethnic Chinese.

Interesting thing is all the videos that YouTube and Liveleak took down are still in corners of Twitter.

The efforts continue to this day and now the CCP has ad campaigns.

https://twitter.com/arslan_hidayat/status/1286058308009365505?s=21

It was mentioned in the thread that 100K Han Chinese CCP are sent to live with Uighur families to spy on them — it’s even worse than that, they are “sharing bed” with the wives while the Uighur husbands are in the concentration camps.

2 Likes

So sad…

Hypocrisy nonsense. Why doesn’t Netflix ask the politicians what they are doing about it? Why keep supporting China officially?

“ In the face of such atrocities in XUAR [the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region], there no longer exist corporate decisions of complacency, only complicity.”

What about legislative decisions and complicity ?

Excuse me? I don’t know what this is referring to. AFAIK the last post I made on this thread was Sept. 28, 40 posts ago, and it was about Han Chinese man-in-the-street feelings about Uighurs 35 years ago.
Is this from something I posted elsewhere? (Though IIRC I’ve never posted anything about Netflix and China.)

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they did. Many reports and first hand accounts of state sanctions rape with Chinese men sent to live with Uighur women. They practically admitted it.

Maybe the tide is turning on the news suppression?

CNN:

“Can a country accused of genocide host the Olympics?”

2 Likes
2 Likes

More horrible details about the camps:

4 Likes

Horrific.