Chinese question from Ash is Purest White (江湖儿女)

Just a question for those with better Chinese than me
I saw a movie recently called Ash is Purest White. The Chinese name is different (江湖儿女)
The phrase is used once in the movie, and I had no idea what it meant. My guess is it’s one of those 4 character idioms, but I can’t find it in the dictionary. Does anyone know what it means?

Gangster son and daughter.

2 Likes

I mean the “Ash is Purest White” thing. There’s a scene where he’s showing her how to use a gun, and she looks at the mountain and makes that comment… it made no sense to me. I guess it was lost in translation.

What’s the Chinese?

I’m not sure. It’s confusing since they use a completely different title in Chinese. I’ll see if it’s on youtube

Here in this Trailer, she says it at 1:16

It’s just a line in the movie…not related to any chengyu as far as I can tell.

Yep, and it means what the subtitle says

Why would they title the movie that… and why does she say that line. I don’t understand!

She could be making some kind of analogy.

That’s what I figure, and that’s what I want to know. What’s the analogy

One would have to know the context.

Some kind of metaphor about the purifying power of fire. Probably related to something in the plot. You have to destroy the village to save the village?

Hmm in the context of the movie… I’m still not sure. Maybe it’s a foreshadow of her time in prison

Screenshot_2020-10-23-15-34-34-886_org.mozilla.firefox

Is your question, why is the chinese name here seemingly unrelated to the english name and what does the chinese name mean?

yep
sorry no; what does the english name mean

Purity comes from when you burn other stuff?

I duno

Every Taiwanese movie has 江湖 in the title so they need to think of different things

1 Like

What does that mean? River something?

I guess the English translation of the Chinese title doesn’t make a lot of sense, and “Ash is Purest White” sounded nice?
It reminds me of the bible verse. What was it… Malachi? The refiners fire and stuff