Churrascaria, anyone been?

saw a churrascaria in taipei by the pacific sogo. it’s on the second floor of some building with churrascaria painted on the green windows. just wondering if anyone had been there. is it any good? i lived in sf for 2 years and couldn’t find a decent churrascaria there, so imagine my suprise when i saw one in taipei. sorry, don’t have the street address or even the name of the restaurant, but it’s just a little bit east of the sogo.

There is, or used to be, one on Jinshan South Rd. between Chunghsiao and Renai just south of the Galaxy guitar store. It was pretty good, but I don’t know if its still there. Maybe its the same place you saw, moved to a new location.

Excuse me for sounding dim, but what IS a churrascaria, anyway?
Is it like a tapas place?
Do you mean Churros, those corn sticks, as in Mexican junk food?
Please enlighten me. Thanks.

That’s OK, Alien, we already knew you were dim

Churrascaria wouldn’t appeal to you – its MEAT, MEAT and more MEAT, red, greasy, dripping with blood and juices, carved off a giant skewer at your table by a gaucho with a sword. I kid you not.

Or if you want to be boring, I guess you could call it Brazilian/Agentinian BBQ.

thanks sandyman,

no wonder I hadn’t heard of it.
give me a nice ripe banana, fried, and dipped in honey. where can you get that?

Its the best barbecue ever! I luuuv meat. Usually the gauchos dip the meat in lemon, garlic, chicken soup (?), chervil…one night before barbecued… Then they serve you all different types of meat usually cow in the sword Sandman mentions. With some red wine, yum! Hope its still alive!

Alien might like Chinchulinas! if you like meat youll luv it.

If any of you get exact locations, I’d like to try it out.

rockgirl,

what is Chinchulinas?
btw, i DON’T do meat!
unless the animal from whence it came doesn’t have soulful eyes, fur, and four legs…

tentacles, no legs, and claws, are ok.

Chinchulinas might seem a bit gross, but they are pretty good actually.

Its a braid made up of… cow intestines…and into carbon barbecue.

This is a confesion, I hope my parents dont read this! But my parents are Taoists and vegetarian for over 25 years. They have a vegetarian restaurant, so one day, me and my friends decided to have an outdoor barbecue, a churrasco at the park. But we didnt have a place to prepare the meat, which has to be dipped in all that stuff. So, we bought some chinchulinas,meat, salad and loads from the market. No place to prepare, since I had the keys to my parents place, I suggested it. My parents should had seen us braiding the chinchulinas, long meters long. One person standing on a chair, holding one of the extremes, while the other braiding… I felt really guilty afterwards since we have buda paintings and incense, etc… but barbecue came out quite good, although after everybody finished eating, somebody said the chinchulinas werent washed!!!

No idea where this place might be.

Gwen,
Write back. Suzy66q@hotmail.com
We might have a parrillada anytime soon.

Any recent sightings/experiences with any of these joints?
Quality and price info would be good.

I’ve been to the one on Nanjing E Road just east of Guangfu North Road. Its on the south side of Nanjing (eastbound), 2 floors below The Living Room

That was the first one I’d ever been to - 2 years ago? It was ok, but I gotta tell you about the one I was in 2 weeks ago here in Shanghai: Latina in Xintiandi.

“Holy Cow” is the way to put it - they came with all kinds of cuts of BBQ. Unlike in the one in Taipei that I went to, you are given a little paper cut out - green on one side that says “OK” or something like that and red on the other side that says “NO” so the waiters will not come by your side and offer you more glorious meat when you are resting.

Latina has a nice buffet set, which includes 5 bowls of black beans that you can dollop on your rice and other side orders. I’m working up an appetite just remembering it all

It costs RMB 75 for lunch, and I understand the place is usually full. When I was there, I was one of many giddy carnivores frolicking to and from the buffet and greeting the Churrascariedos (or whatever you call those fine people with the long skewers of meat)

There’s a map to Latina in Puxi (Shanghai): smartshanghai.com/venue/1055/Latina_shanghai

[quote=“Goose Egg”]I’ve been to the one on Nanjing E Road just east of Guangfu North Road. Its on the south side of Nanjing (eastbound), 2 floors below The Living Room

That was the first one I’d ever been to - 2 years ago? It was ok, but I gotta tell you about the one I was in 2 weeks ago here in Shanghai: Latina in Xintiandi.

“Holy Cow” is the way to put it - they came with all kinds of cuts of BBQ. Unlike in the one in Taipei that I went to, you are given a little paper cut out - green on one side that says “OK” or something like that and red on the other side that says “NO” so the waiters will not come by your side and offer you more glorious meat when you are resting.

Latina has a nice buffet set, which includes 5 bowls of black beans that you can dollop on your rice and other side orders. I’m working up an appetite just remembering it all

It costs RMB 75 for lunch, and I understand the place is usually full. When I was there, I was one of many giddy carnivores frolicking to and from the buffet and greeting the Churrascariedos (or whatever you call those fine people with the long skewers of meat)

There’s a map to Latina in Puxi (Shanghai): smartshanghai.com/venue/1055/Latina_shanghai[/quote]

Yeah yeah rub it in Gus. :fume:

As far as I know all of the places in Taipei shut down several years ago. Can someone with some “REAL” information provide it?

Love you, you big Goose. :laughing:

12 years ago they seemed to be everywhere in Taipei - a big craze. Now, sadly, most are history. But the one near the Living Room is one of the originals and it’s fantastic. A must-do for unrepentant meatatarians.

You must be up there with Lord Lucan’s salary.

just
too
easy

Are there any more of these places around, besides the one under The Living Room? (is it still there?)
This thread has me drooling.

Bump, 'cause my birthday’s coming up, and I juuuuust might be able to inflict some Churrascarianism on my poor girls for the occasion.
So, once again, anyone been recently or know of any recent action on this front??

(Zen-ster, thanks for the REmind… :notworthy: )

I found it… I think. I googled “Living Room” then copied that address in Chinese, did some google magic. Looks like it’s on No. 6, Nanjing E Road, Sec 5, 2 FL. I might have to check this place out next week… now the question is, do they have the churrascaria cheese bread!!!

fo-go.eatingout.com.tw/intrdouce.html

地址:台北市松山區南京東路五段6號2樓
(光復北路口、力霸飯店旁)
電話:02-27655959 FAX:02-27493615
營業時間:11:30~15:00 / 17:30~22:30

[quote=“hungryintaipei”]I found it… I think. I googled “Living Room” then copied that address in Chinese, did some google magic. Looks like it’s on No. 6, Nanjing E Road, Sec 5, 2 FL. I might have to check this place out next week… now the question is, do they have the churrascaria cheese bread!!!

fo-go.eatingout.com.tw/intrdouce.html

地址:台北市松山區南京東路五段6號2樓
(光復北路口、力霸飯店旁)
電話:02-27655959 FAX:02-27493615
營業時間:11:30~15:00 / 17:30~22:30[/quote]I’m pretty sure that place closed down last year.