CKS airport runner

Did you ever think that this post makes you sound like a loser?

Despite all of this guy’s alleged shortcomings, he at least took the time to learn Mandarin. Tones or no tones, you sound like a snob for commenting this way.

[quote]Taifeitang wrote: By the way, I didn’t think his Chinese was all that hot. ‘Typical’ foreigner pronunciation (i.e. ignoring the tones) and bad syntax in the bit I saw on TV. Just another loser making the rest of us look bad

Did you ever think that this post makes you sound like a loser?
Despite all of this guy’s alleged shortcomings, he at least took the time to learn Mandarin. Tones or no tones, you sound like a snob for commenting this way.
[/quote]

Sorry, it wasn’t my intention to come across as a loser. The OP commented that the guy spoke in fluent Mandarin.

I was disagreeing with the OP’s statement.

Tones are essential to fluent Mandarin. This is not being snobby, this is fact.

The speech the guy used on TV was broken and grammatically poor. This is not being snobby, this is fact.

It may appear that I felt he was making foreigners look bad because of his poor Chinese. Not so. He was making foreigners look bad because he was an idiot. I have no problem with people who can’t speak Chinese. That’s their affair, not mine. I have no problem with people who speak bad Chinese. It’s not an easy language and my own Chinese is far from perfect. My aim was to clarify that although the OP said this guy had fluent Chinese, in my opinion that was not the case. It was a fairly inconsequential aside, at least to me, and not the main point of my post.

TFT

[quote=“Durins Bane”]

:NSFW:

break.com/index/bb6436.html[/quote]

“I saw the bastard walk in. I knew he’d be trouble. It was like had had ‘fuck you’ written on his face.”

[quote=“bluenoseintainan”]http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1PFMWT1GQOV8Y2G381XMCWT6JY

If you did not catch the news there is a great report there you can download[/quote]

What’s a DAT file?

[quote=“porcelainprincess”][quote=“bluenoseintainan”]http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1PFMWT1GQOV8Y2G381XMCWT6JY

If you did not catch the news there is a great report there you can download[/quote]

What’s a DAT file?[/quote]

That’s the video. Run it from Windows Media Player. You may have to open it from a menu in the media player. Same kind of file found on a VCD.

[quote=“ImaniOU”][quote=“porcelainprincess”][quote=“bluenoseintainan”]http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1PFMWT1GQOV8Y2G381XMCWT6JY

What’s a DAT file?[/quote]

That’s the video. Run it from Windows Media Player. You may have to open it from a menu in the media player. Same kind of file found on a VCD.[/quote]
Thanks, I didn’t know that!

[quote]Did you ever think that this post makes you sound like a loser?

Despite all of this guy’s alleged shortcomings, he at least took the time to learn Mandarin. Tones or no tones, you sound like a snob for commenting this way. [/quote]

No what

[quote][quote]Did you ever think that this post makes you sound like a loser?

Despite all of this guy’s alleged shortcomings, he at least took the time to learn Mandarin. Tones or no tones, you sound like a snob for commenting this way.[/quote]

No what

Saying that “at least he took the time to learn Mandarin, tones or no tones” is like saying “at least he took the time to learn English, vowels or no vowels.” Christ, that video made my skin crawl. And I’m sure every time I go to the night market, half the people there think of retards like him when they see me. Thanks a bunch.

Ah, but you see, you’re language skills weren’t quite good enough to pick up the fact he was actually speaking in a strong Sichuan dialect. Naturally his third tones were dropping like flies and his pronunciation not quite correct to your ear. However, in Chengdu he is being lauded as an up and coming TV star.

Puhlease. :unamused: The language competition thing is such a bore.

You know the only real mistake someone can make is to try and speak to another native English speaker in Chinese in the absence of Chinese that can’t speak English. That deserves a solid thumping. All other crimes are mildly amusing but don’t really deserve such harsh treatment.

HG

Go along with most of that

Maybe our value systems differ significantly, but I think that ending up on national TV in handcuffs yelling “Chen Shuibian zuihao!” is much more deserving of a kick to the crotch than trying to speak Chinese to a native English speaker.

Oh I was just talking about the crimes of speaking the language, not the content. I propose a joint kicking for the content. :slight_smile:

HG

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“bluenoseintainan”]Chris …[snip] had a definite affection for sleeping with Taiwanese women, none of whom one could say were of the best breed.
[/quote]

Please keep this kind of opinion to yourself.[/quote]

Why? You know some of those girls personally?

Maybe she is one of those girls

So has anybody heard what happened to this character?

They sent him back from whence he came.
What more is there to hear about?

Upon arriving at Vancouver International Airport and before catching a plane to Regina, HR representatives from Brown Brothers Harriman, Goldman Sachs, the Carlyle Group, and Lehman Brothers were all fighting to recruit this fine example of Canadian talent. :laughing:

[quote]They sent him back from whence he came.
What more is there to hear about?[/quote]

Please this guy is worthy of a

Wow! I had no idea that my departure would invite so much speculation! From my many unpaid bartabs, to my chinese, to overall comments on my character, its a lot to take in! The court of public opinion is certainly interesting. While I was living in Taiwan, I never actually read any of this shit, my life was far too interesting to bother, and I had heard from friends who regularly read it that it was mostly filled by idiots. This was evidenced by some of the posts that I read.
I guess I’ll answer a few of the questions that were debated in this little forum on ME. The question that seemed to evoke the biggest response was: Why would I run? I guess I would have to say, why the hell not? I had a lot of shit that I needed from my place, as when I left, I was unaware that I wouldn’t be let back in. Suffice it to say that in 7 years, you manage to accumulate a few things of value. And yes, the girlfriend thing did play a part. And yes, it was stupid. But if you know me, not at all unexepected.
Secondly, the many unpaid bar tabs. Not at many bars, only at one, and I was in the process of paying it down from what had been a staggering 21,000 dollar tab! I had succeeded in paying down to something like 9,000, before my unexpected exile. Someone had said 40,000? Rumour is a terrible thing!
Thirdly, the whole Chinese question. My Chinese, while it may not be as good as some peoples, is pretty damn good. Those pathetic losers who are hacking on me about my tones, why don’t you just spend some more time with your head buried in your ass? There’s probably a good Chinese book up there…
Fourthly, my sex life! My God! I couldn’t believe it when I was reading about it in some forum! Unbelievable. Suffice it to say, I was a busy guy, and I was a teacher not only of English, but on how to maintain and hold a stable that held many a horse! I indoctrinated many a hopeless lad on the art of getting laid in Tiawan, and I can assure you that the loser who brought up the whole bar tab thing(I know who you are)is one of those pathetic freaks who spends his time hanging out at Willy’s with all the engineers, and is deeply conflicted because he just can’t get laid, and he has no friends. Don’t worry chief, some people were meant to be losers.

Lastly, I would just like to say that I have lived my life to the fullest, and I make no apologies to anyone for the way that I have sucked the very marrow from it. To all those who saw me all cuffed up like that, know that I chose it willingly, as a way to say goodbye to a country that had treated me so well. Viva Taiwan! Viva the Phoenix!
Sasquatch