Classic Posts ★★★★★

Forumosa has been around over three years. During that time there have been nearly one hundred thousand posts. Most have been mediocre, silly, stupid, irrelevant, rants, and whiney. But a tiny fraction have been absolutely outstanding.

The only problem is that the great posts are buried deep in the threads of all these forums and may never see the light of day again. Unless you remember one and bring it to everyone’s attention.

That is what this thread is all about - dredging through the mass of threads to rediscover the classic posts from the past couple of years and then putting them into this thread.

What do you remember was a classic post?

2 Likes

Here is one I found earlier today at Pet Peeves in Taiwan - #101 by Omniloquacious

It is the “padded bra” post by Omniloquacious from Mon Oct 28, 2002

One of the things that disappoints me most about Taiwan is the bras. It’s not just the padding, which is bad enough. The worst of it is that the bras are always there, whether padded or not. How often does one see a girl proudly displaying an emancipated pair of braless boobs nestling delightfully beneath her t-shirt, blouse, tank-top, sweater or dress? Almost never, unless she’s with a foreigner. Even in mid-summer, when wearing a bra must be torture, they’re still always there. And often they, or at least their pads, are worn under swimsuits, for goodness sake!

Does anyone agree with me that the bra is one of the ugliest garments ever invented? And isn’t it rather unnecessary for most smaller-breasted Chinese girls, whose boobs are not going to sag to their waists without it? Rather than enhancing the beauty of a Chinese woman’s form (as the ads would have you believe), the ubiquitous bra masks and detracts from its wearer’s allure.

When are Taiwan’s ladies going to learn from their liberated Western sisters and burn their bras? Roll on the day!

OK, so I voted for my own post…and people seemed to like the story of Gram that is somewhere here… :wink:

This one, from Eyton of the much-maligned Taipei Times, is one of my favorites:

"The paper everyone likes to mock needs a copy editor. Time for those of you who deride our efforts to show us how much better you are

Here’s an instant classic:

I also liked the one posted about a year ago that compared living in Taiwan to being at home when your mom was gone and your dad was watching the house. Can’t remember the thread or poster… but that was classic.

I’ve edited this a bit and added it to the Forumosa Blog.

If there is a post here that you feel should be considered a Classic, let someone know by having it added to the Classic Posts page.

We’ll add a Classic Posts image to the post and list it in our blog :slight_smile:

Excelsior!

Outstanding. I have been playing around with the idea of suggesting a forumosan archivist and now you have done it. I guess that means I don’t have to bother Maoman with drunken calls at 4 in the morning to discuss my “idea”. :laughing:

gustav saved
and the thread where we convinced igorveni not to kill the dude who grabbed his son.

How about the classic post when BroonAle described getting Geraldine fixed by a local mechanic using crap Chinese… that was genius :laughing:

Hi Gus,

I think there’s a mistake in the blog. As you may or may not know, the link to BuLaiEn’s post is to a thread with no posts from him. Unless he uses different user names, the post isn’t from him.

bobepine

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw his signature. I hadn’t read the post through since I don’t need info about marriage in Taiwan. :blush:

Bu Lai En stepped into the name change machine. He was once Sir Donald Bradman.

Oh and the thread between Fred Smith, Broonale etc “Penguinism”

This has always been one of my favorite posts on Forumosa. It was posted in the Living in Taiwan Forum in the Things We Like About Taiwan thread. The poster is still here, but, he has changed his posting name. Here is the post:

That’s a classic post.

1 Like

I always loved that line in particular too. Here’s one from Jubom which might in some paradoxical sort of way relate. Anyway, I’m pretty sure it’s a classic.

Jubom wrote:

Here is another Classic:

1 Like

Classic comical post.

Ever been to 45 or Spin? - #11 by mwalimu Racial Attack at Spin

Here’s one from little b bob.

I recalled this post today when discussing the Nobel. It’s a true classic. The throne of Nebacannezzar indeed.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … htar#68862