Clothing etiquette

Hello!
I have a few questions. I tried already to look for answers in the old topics but found nothing. So sorry if this was discussed before (or if this is the wrong section) :notworthy: .
What’s ok to wear and what not in Taiwan? I love, for example, this t-shirt with tears in the back. And at home I would wear it without an another shirt under it.
Or I have other semi-transparent t-shirts that I would wear with a little top under.
Or is it rude to show a little bit of your décolleté? In Japan I used to cover everything (and people stared anyway), and I was wondering if it is the same here.

By the way, I’m new in this wonderful forum, so I’ll present myself! My name’s Vale, I arrived two weeks ago to Taipei to study Chinese and I’m 23. Nice to meet you all :bow: :bow:

You can wear whatever you want. If you show off cleavage, be prepared for people to gawk. And for perverts to take pictures when you’re not looking. I’ve seen all manners of clothing (or lack thereof) in Taipei. Just use some common sense and stay safe. And welcome to Taiwan.

Agree anything, western style is fine. From a guy perspective, less is best (sorry could not help it). You mentioned T-shirts, if you want to fit in with the locals, find some made in Taiwan with the words misspelled and the saying makes no sense. As far a modesty, many locals often show more than you would think appropriate. As for showing cleavage, definitely, greatly lacking with the Asian women.

Welcome to Tawian (Huānyíng guānglín).

Actually Huanying lai Taiwan (welcome to TAiwan )

Sorry if this is inappropriate, but you should know that local folks DO totally shun braless-ness.
Cleavage is coin of the realm, but pokey nipples (on women) are completely taboo.

Again, sorry if this is TMI or anything. :bow:

Yes I know. Actually the exact translation of Huānyíng guānglín is “Welcome to Family Mart”.

[quote=“schwanification”]Hello!
I have a few questions. I tried already to look for answers in the old topics but found nothing. So sorry if this was discussed before (or if this is the wrong section) :notworthy: .
What’s ok to wear and what not in Taiwan? I love, for example, this t-shirt with tears in the back. And at home I would wear it without an another shirt under it.
Or I have other semi-transparent t-shirts that I would wear with a little top under.
Or is it rude to show a little bit of your décolleté? In Japan I used to cover everything (and people stared anyway), and I was wondering if it is the same here.

By the way, I’m new in this wonderful forum, so I’ll present myself! My name’s Vale, I arrived two weeks ago to Taipei to study Chinese and I’m 23. Nice to meet you all :bow: :bow:[/quote]

If you are a guy, well, not much of a fuss. Womenwolk, though, will get stares and bad service and unwelcomed advances.

No decolette. You can show your underwear under the waist but not anything over.

[quote=“Rocket”]but pokey nipples (on women) are completely taboo.

Again, sorry if this is TMI or anything. :bow:[/quote]

Speak for yourself, most of us think the higher the beams the better.

[quote=“Micahel”][quote=“Rocket”]but pokey nipples (on women) are completely taboo.

Speak for yourself, most of us think the higher the beams the better.[/quote]

Quote the rest where it says “local folks”.

OK, assume you can speak for the locals.

Edit: Since you speak for the locals, how about the cleavage, would you stop and take a photo?

You can wear shorts and skirts are far up your bum as you like, but any part of a boob is titillating. :slight_smile:

Yes I know. Actually the exact translation of Huānyíng guānglín is “Welcome to Family Mart”.[/quote]

welll uhm, hate to be pedantic and my pinyin is nonexistant, but huanying guanlin is just roughly translatable as welcome your visit. It isnt just Family Mart that puts on that automatic welcome. I think the seven and others do as well? Again sorry to be pendantic :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Micahel”]OK, assume you can speak for the locals.

Edit: Since you speak for the locals, how about the cleavage, would you stop and take a photo?[/quote]

Where on earth did I say I was speaking “for” the locals?
I was speaking “about” the locals, like everyone else in this thread.

If you’re not a native speaker, I apologise for the confusion.

Yes I know. Actually the exact translation of Huānyíng guānglín is “Welcome to Family Mart”.[/quote]

welll uhm, hate to be pedantic and my pinyin is nonexistant, but huanying guanlin is just roughly translatable as welcome your visit. It isnt just Family Mart that puts on that automatic welcome. I think the seven and others do as well? Again sorry to be pendantic :P[/quote]

Yes pendantic and no sense of humor, you missed the joke. It means welcome, honored with your presence. Yes, that is what you hear at every Family Mart when you walk in.

[quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Micahel”]OK, assume you can speak for the locals.

Edit: Since you speak for the locals, how about the cleavage, would you stop and take a photo?[/quote]

If you’re not a native speaker, I apologise for the confusion.[/quote]

Maybe it was this, Quote the rest where it says “local folks”. Assume you must be local, otherwise how would you know?

[quote=“Micahel”][quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Micahel”]OK, assume you can speak for the locals.

Maybe it was this, Quote the rest where it says “local folks”. Assume you must be local, otherwise how would you know?[/quote]

Because I live here??

Me too, but not native TW, I am from the US.

[quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Micahel”][quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Micahel”]OK, assume you can speak for the locals.

Maybe it was this, Quote the rest where it says “local folks”. Assume you must be local, otherwise how would you know?[/quote]

Because I live here??[/quote]

Careful Micahel, you’re making the raccoon upset. Poke him too much and he might bite.

[quote=“Gryphon”][quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Micahel”][quote=“Rocket”][quote=“Micahel”]OK, assume you can speak for the locals.

Because I live here??[/quote]

Careful Micahel, you’re making the raccoon upset. Poke him too much and he might bite.
[/quote]

[quote=“Rocket”]Sorry if this is inappropriate, but you should know that local folks DO totally shun braless-ness.
Cleavage is coin of the realm, but pokey nipples (on women) are completely taboo.

Wow! I learned something today.

I thought nipples not being able to shine trough a C cup filled with cotton was the reason for never observing any in public.