Coalition of English Teachers Against the Use of Fake Degree

C.E.T.A.U.F.D. is what they call themselves. :laughing: Have you heard about these guys? A while back they tried to post a list of the names of English teachers who are using fake degrees on a website based in Kaohsiung. The Yahoo! group moderator did not approve the posts and he was subsequently threatened in various ways by members of this coalition. The Yahoo! group moderator eventually banned their accounts. But they came backā€¦ :roflmao:

They pretended to be an international courier service and they offered free flights for people who were flying overseas from Taiwan. They posted an add on the same Yahoo! group under the alias International Courier Services. When people replied to the add, they were asked to provide their name, passport number and occupation among other personal details.

A while later, someone posted the following (Scroll to the end. No need to read the whole thing).

[quote]Looking for all items cheapā€¦
Posted by: ā€œcetaufd@ymail.comā€ cetaufd@ymail.com
Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:04 pm (PDT)

Friends, Foreigners, Countrymen lend us your ears.

Friends, Foreigners, Countrymen lend us your ears
We come to bury a baccalaureate, not to praise it.
The evil that people do lives after them;
And the good is often buried with those of honest bones;
So let it be with truth. The noble fakers
Have told you that truth isnā€™t ambitious:
And they told this to countless of you
Who have come to Taiwan absent of the truth.
If this is so, it is a terrible mistake.
And truth will answer it terribly.
Here, where fraudulent documents,
Degrees held by us,
By friends, by foreigners, by expats
Exceeds those that are legitimate.
But fraudsters are honorable people
So they are all, all honorable people -
We come to speak at the funeral of the baccalaureate.
We, like many of you, faithfully pursued a baccalaureate
And in doing so, sacrificed as much time
As money, labour, doubt, self-doubt, and years.
And lest we forget the blood, the sweat and yes, the tears.
And we were told that this pursuit
Is just and faithful and that in turn
It will be just and faithful to you.
In short, you will get out of it
As much as you have put in to it.
So where does that leave us,
When we are surrounded by the unfaithful?
The liars and the fakers
Regard this with nary a thought or care.
And they are honorable people?
Ambition should be understood as sterner stuff.
Not fake, not blind, but aspiring to dream and to reach beyond
What is recognized or what limits us.
We have sacrificed much to simply possess something that is legitimate.
This is not to say that we are better than many of you,
Or even better teachers, no not at all.
But, that a rule was established before any of us arrived,
So that a standard may be observed, that is all.
And as simple as that is,
So is the simple fact that teaching English itself
Is made base not only by stagnant wages,
But also by relentless agents, lack-luster workplaces
And by countless fakers who have cried foul in the name of teaching.
Cried foul against so called cheaters, schools, unpaid wages,
And even the customs and culture of the local people!
When, it is not in their place to do so,
When they come bearing fake documents in the first place!
And, sure, they are honorable people?
Truth may be ambitious,
But to fake it is ambition gone blind.
And, as history continues to show us, blind ambition harms everyone.
There are alternatives to faking a degree
In order to stay here, you need to sacrifice more as we.
That is all.
So here we are to speak what we do know and submit.
You all did love the baccalaureate once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for it?
In the name of the good fight, bear with a fuss;
Our hearts are in the coffin there with the baccalaureate
And we must pause till it comes back to us.

C.E.T.A.U.F.D.
Coalition of English Teachers Against the Use of Fake Degrees.

[color=#BF0000]PS. Thank you to the genius of some of our members who came up with the plan to collect information on many of you who have answered a bogus add soliciting for people to become global couriers. We are processing that information looking for fake degree holders amongst you as we speak (Whatā€™s the appropriate word, idiot, fool, or consummate freeloader???).
For some of you it may be time to pray.

Alas, when in Rome do as the Romans do.
Join our fight people!!
For SPARTA!![/color]
[/quote]

These people really make me laugh. What does a major in X,Y,Z have to do with teaching English as a second language? Nothing. My limited experience teaching in Taiwan tells me that having a degree only enables you to teach legally, but it has no bearing on whether you have the ability teach or not.

I find it quite funny that they pull an online scam to collect private information about people who may or may not teach illegally. :loco:

Heads up all of you ā€œunqualifiedā€ English teachers! The C.E.T.A.U.F.D have their eyes on you! :laughing:

Having a degree still doesnā€™t make you qualified to teach.
You just have to go as far as looking at all these buxiban ā€˜ā€˜teachersā€™ā€™ and all teaching
really involves is a white face and just general basic conversation and playing games.

And as for that butchery to Mark Antonyā€™s speech. Stick the frigging lot of them in the coffin along with Caesar, the truth, the baccalaureate (wtf they frogs or what?) and their sacred bleeding hearts.

But, for my own part, it was Greek to me.

And a good thing :slight_smile:

Those wankers need a good thrashing. Preferably with a fistful of parchment!

I have my diploma in Ufology that I would like to throw in their faces! They wouldnā€™t know a real degree if it hit them in theā€¦

wait a sec! You trying to get a rise out of me or what?

Really? Who has enough free time and motivation to start a scam just to find people with fake degrees. First of all, if this ā€œcoalitionā€ isnā€™t just a joke, I would imagine its membership consists of one angry guy with an English major (hence the Shakespeare), who lost his job to an unlicensed teacher. Secondly, how can you check if someone has a fake degree without knowing where they claim to have gone to school. Also, if you are gonna spend your time and energy on moral crusades, at least find something a bit more worthwhile.

Anyone that was dumb enough to reply to their international courier scam with their personal information shouldnā€™t be teaching anyway. :2cents:

Anyone with a degree should not be driving a taxi. I propose a coalition to stop anyone holding a degree from driving a taxi. Whose with me ??

If weā€™re going to rat out foreigners with fake degrees, what will they do next? When will it ever stop? If you ratted out every foreigner here with something to hide, :no-no: there would be nobody left.

Nonsense. I have two degrees and am a paragon of morality. I have never taken an illicit substance, nor have I had sex outside of marriage. I never gamble, smoke or drink liquor. And there are a lot of foreigners out there that share my ethical stance. Please, Sir, donā€™t lump us all together. Some of us are fine, wholesome, upstanding individuals. :no-no:

Lol, I think that is their point! (:

But yes, anyone stupid enough to fall for a scam should not be teaching children. (:

[quote=ā€œpqkdzrwtā€]
But yes, anyone stupid enough to fall for a scam should not be teaching children. (:[/quote]Youā€™d be surprisedā€¦ It is a pretty good scam. Itā€™s not like international couriers are unheard of. It really sounded legit. I guess the Yahoo! group moderator shouldnā€™t teach English, either, since he approved the postings. :wink:

Unfortunately, they are. How many times do you think the students have known more about English than the teachers on this island? :astonished:

Nonsense. I have two degrees and am a paragon of morality. I have never taken an illicit substance, nor have I had sex outside of marriage. I never gamble, smoke or drink liquor. And there are a lot of foreigners out there that share my ethical stance. Please, Sir, donā€™t lump us all together. Some of us are fine, wholesome, upstanding individuals. :no-no:[/quote]

I, on the other hand, have enjoyed my life :sunglasses: .

Mormons?

Mormons?[/quote]
Me

Mormons?[/quote]
Iā€™d rat those mofos out in an instance. Intellectually vapid, to say nothing about dishonesty and the willing pulling of wool over their own eyes.
I used to carry their own lame version of the bible to test them. Asshats, for the most part, canā€™t even muster a reasonable defence when harried amidships.
Pogue Mahone!

My former wife always wanted me to fake a degree for her.

I refused, after all, I studied a few years in order to get it, why should someone using photoshop to cheat get the same advantages as I got by hard work?

The problem isnā€™t fake degrees. Its the fact degrees exist where you cannot distinguish between the person who studied and the person who used photoshop.