Cody Wilson of 3D Printed Gun fame accused of sex with minor, flees to Taiwan?

Yep. I’d put it next to people who upload schematics for building home made bombs using common household items like a rice cooker, iron balls, etc. Gee, nothing bad can happen right, it is to defend the people from the oppressive gummit, it is within their rights, right? Nothing bad can happen cough Boston cough elections

It only takes one bullet. They only have to get it right once.

What if he was selling information on how to build nukes? Would you feel the same way?

Fortunately, bullets are quite hard to manufacture. You could conceivably equip a gunsmith’s shop with a few hundred thousand $ and turn out very professional (metal) guns, and I’m actually quite surprised so few criminals have figured this out. It’d be well within the means of a mid-level drug dealer to do this.

Bullets … not so much, because the chemicals required for the primer can’t be easily obtained without setting off lots of alarm bells, and you’re likely to blow yourself up during assembly. IMO there are ways around that, but I certainly wouldn’t waltz around publicizing such ideas. I ponder these things purely as technical challenges.

Again, they need only one.

Imagine if tomorrow someone used a plastic gun to shoot Tsai, Ma, Korean or any of the current myriad of candidates for office in the coming elections. The mess…

He’d have to get real lucky. Apparently those plastic things are hopelessly inaccurate. Anyone attempting such a thing would most likely hit an innocent bystander. Anyone intent on a political assassination would get a proper gun. The guy who shot Chen had a homemade job and missed (personally, I think that it was all an elaborate setup, but that’s just me).

I suspect the people most interested in Wilson’s products are low-level hoodlums.

Aborigines here do make their own guns, although there are lots of restrictions. Mafia people probably have easier ways to get them–and remember, it’s not really in their interest to sell them to whoever wants one, that would just attract uncomfortable attention to their more profitable activities. Some ordinary criminal looking to get rich wouldn’t go to the trouble to learn gunsmithing, I suspect, otherwise they’d devote that same level of effort to investment banking or something.

Well eventually technology will probably advance enough that nukes can be built more easily. I guess we need to makes our laws current. But the problem is probably getting nuclear materials.

I don’t know, I’m wondering if it is a breach of rights afforded by the US constitution. There are already blue prints that found their way on the internet. There will be more and it will become easier and more available.

I was thinking of organised gangs or terrorist groups, which could easily fund the equipment and the expertise, and would have enough, uh, internal demand to make a bit of vertical integration worthwhile. Basically, I’m surprised the global situation isn’t far worse than it appears, given the technology available.

I remember reading somewhere about some Colombian gang who’d built a functioning submarine for smuggling, so I don’t think it’s pure inertia or laziness that puts them off the idea; I’d be curious to know what it is that stops them. Maybe you’re right that it’s just easier to buy guns on the black market.

All the gun talk. He paid to have sex with a minor. Because that.

An arrest warrant had been issued Tuesday ]for Cody Wilson after a 16-year-old told investigators that a 30-year-old man had paid her $500 to have sex at an Austin hotel in August.

Police said that the victim told them that she had met the man online and exchanged texts, in which he identified himself as Wilson, and traded explicit photos. Surveillance video from the hotel shows Wilson entering with the minor and later walking towards a guest room, according to the police report.

“The U.S. Marshals Service is aware of Cody Wilson’s arrest. We are fully engaged with our international partners on this matter,” the federal agency said in a statement. “This is the only information we will be providing at this time.”

They do not need accuracy. They do not even have to kill or main. Just mess up. Watch the world burn. Start a cascade of events.

Worked in WWI.

They have several actually.

Well yes, but in that case the guy did have a proper gun and killed the intended target :slight_smile:

Never really understood how that even panned out how it did. I’ve read the detailed history on the subsequent chain of events and it still doesn’t make any sense. I think (I hope) diplomacy is conducted in a very different way today. Policymakers might not learn much from history, but I think they picked up a few lessons from that particular event.

What, submarines? Wouldn’t surprise me. Once they’ve figured out how to do it I guess they’ll start churning them out like sausages.

After how many tries? And they still debate whether it was a lucky break.

It takes a lot to keep us countries undeveloped, but it ain’t lack of brains. Unfortunately, most of those brains work for the elite in making sure most people stay poor and in their proper place of ignorance and obedience to the system.

Heck I was reading the Internet five cent army they got down there rivals China’s and Russia’s. No need to outsource. All that training in call centers paid off.

In that case though, you’re speaking of unceasing random violence. It’s ubiquitous, and it maintains itself in a sort of feedback loop, with stupidity and lawlessness creating fertile ground for more stupidity and lawlessness.

I don’t see any possibility of that happening in (say) Taiwan however many plastic guns came onto the market. When Chen was “assassinated”, the newspapers had a field day, the judiciary do what they do, and life returned to normal.

Yep. But we have a lot of 3rd column vermin in the country now. They are slowly eroding faith in the rule of law and it is downhill from there.

In Taiwan? Do you mean like revolutionary groups? I’ve not heard of this. Who are you referring to?

Between bought media, politicians, mafia and plain agents they can mess up right. And yes, they are armed and can access all kinds of media or physical weapons.

I heard this as well, they moved so much product that the cost of the submarine was less than the profit loss due to seizures.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Terrorist attack in Iran