Cold Feet about Taiwan Move

I have posted a few times and everyone has been really helpful. So, we ended up making the decision to come to Taiwan. As soon as we did that, panic hit for me. Not for my wife, who still has mixed feelings about it, but for me, who was super duper really excited the whole time.

I think I am most worried about not being able to go on amazing road trips like we do in the USA, and going camping in beautiful places. My wife says Taiwan camping is kind of lame, as tents are just right next to each other, rather than having like a big lot with a picnic table, fire pit, etc. She also showed me some pics of these little camping spots and it does not look like it would be fun sleeping in a tent about 2 feet from another tent on each side.

The move also feels so final. I’ve moved a lot in my life, maybe 30 or more times all in all. I would like to settle down somewhere, but I always hear opportunity and adventure calling somewhere else, so I move on. The wife said she is sick of that.

I AM excited about the new job. It is the perfect job for me. Like, if I could come up with my dream job and design it myself, that would be the job that is waiting for me in Taiwan! However, my wife is worried about joining the Taiwanese work force again as a Taiwanese person. She is a beautician/hair stylist/esthetician (salon work). She actually has a college degree and is licensed in multiple states here in the US. She is worried that this kind of work will suck in Taiwan. I keep telling her that her American education and experience will help her stand out even more in Taiwan than they do here (and getting licensed in Taiwan is super simple compared to here), so she can be more selective with where she wants to work, can advertise especially for foreigners (of all kinds of ethnicities with all kinds of hair and complexions), but she still worries. So her worry has of course become my worry.

Anyway, maybe I just need some encouragement, since my wife also got her US citizenship and we can come back if we want to, especially since IF I am successful at this job it will open tons of doors for me (and her actually), but the cold feet has been keeping me up at nights (literally). Thank you for reading this tldr post.

7 Likes

Hello @Macdaddy you can consult with experienced posters such as @TT who can tell you whether such “beautful places” exist. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

What exactly is your job? Taiwanese work culture can be an adjustment.

2 Likes

I can only speak from my own experience, but I’ve been in Taiwan for two years (and the US for six years prior) and I can say that I’ve enjoyed my road trips here far more.

I know there are some things that Taiwan doesn’t offer, but I’m still happy here because I know that the US will still be there if I ever get tired of Taiwan. Perhaps that might be of some encouragement to you.

This should be the number one consideration in my opinion. Most people spend the vast majority of their day at work, so you should find a job you are happy with. Of course, the same goes for your wife. I think a salon marketed to expats is a great idea.

There is always going to be cold feet, but if the feeling intensifies and persists, it may be an indication that this isn’t the right move for your family.

2 Likes

On the other hand, it’s easy to get away to SE Asia.

3 Likes

If you go to a busy place, peak season, Saturday nights, maybe. Generally this hasn’t been my experience, but I avoid the places that will be busy.

If she can’t open her own business doing this, she might consider English teaching

It’s a beautiful tropical island with low cost of living and is well developed in the sense that it is convenient. I like the weather where I am, the people are pleasant enough, and i am still exploring the great natural beauty. Don’t believe the online hype about the food, but if you or the wife cook, or you live in Taipei where there are more options, it will be bearable :smiley:

I moved here to stay, but the longer I’m here the less likely I feel that is (no Taiwanese girlfriend, let alone wife). Absolutely no regrets about coming here, 2 years later

3 Likes

She could open her own salon and target westerners who want English speaking person.

7 Likes

They do. Some are in lovely remote areas.

3 Likes

Road trips? Camping? Sounds like you’re just making excuses. Road trips and camping are not the most important thing in life. And, you can do those things in Taiwan. Yes, they will be different from the U.S., but isn’t that partially why you’re moving? To experience something different?

Nothing is forever. “Do, or do not. There is no try.”

That’s a big deal! It’s important to get some benefit or satisfaction from one’s work. I think your work hapiness and your spouse’s happiness should be two major factors in your decision making.

You could make it your (team) goal to open your wife’s own salon in Taiwan.

You worry too much. You have an exit plan! You and your wife have U.S. citizenship? You don’t have kids? Then you’re free to do whatever you want. Just go for it.

8 Likes

That is a very legitimate concern, but:

1. she doesnt have to do just that, there are other career options she can try and pursue.

2. not all places suck, but will take some time to find a good place.

3. she can find her own niche (like foreigners, though this is not a major challenge now as it was before).

things are difficult for any spouse that is following her husband. You have a dream job lined up, but she is giving up on her career to follow you.
imagine she wasnt Taiwanese, didnt have work roghts, didnt speak the language? would you still do the move?
or if she had a different profession, like a lawyer or architect ? would you still move?

taking care of what she will do in this move is very important, her feelings will impact you too.

4 Likes

There are many places to do beautiful road trips in Taiwan. A few places to get you started are:

1. Eastern Rift Valley
  2. Alishan (but not the town itself. Awful tourist trap.)
  3. Smangus
  4. Southern Cross Highway

As for camping, the more remote sites in the National Parks are usually pretty empty on weekdays.

There are many, many commercial camping sites in Taiwan. Weekends can be pretty quite busy. Weekdays much less so. Here’s a very good one in the greater Taipei area with great swimming.

Taiwan is a paradise for anyone who enjoys the outdoors.

The Philippines, Vietnam, southeastern China, India etc also offer great road trips.

2 Likes

Please tell your wife we furriners pay top dollar to beauticians who can work with foreigners’ hair, at least 4 times what folks pay the usual chain salons.

We got a friend who does nails Latin American style. Booked full. There is this woman from Eastern Europe who does blonde hair dye mostly, very popular. People trek from Hsinchu and beyond for blonde dye in Tianmu salons because they have experience with foreigners’ hair. We pay top dollar for imported shampoo for curly hair, which is obviously not available in supermarkets.

Those are a few examples. Someone doing facials Western style? I know one, very expensive.

I think beauty would be a foreigner oriented business that works well here. She should not work for someone else here but open her own private beauty consulting. She will be miserable with working conditions/salary/etc. as an employee but as a boss she’ll be delighted. SME have a lot of support here, lot less hasse than the West.

8 Likes

Hi, I am in the same situation.
How did you find a job in Taiwan from the US, if I may ask?

If you have a house where you’re from, or if you travel light, give it a year. If it doesn’t work out, ask for a reassignment or find a new job. A year isn’t long, and at least you’ll know.

3 Likes

Less so when she grew up in Taiwan.

He could try moving here without his wife and doing things on his own. That would be more challenging.

1 Like

There is no town in Alishan called Alishan. If you mean the national park, crowded on weekends and summer time when vacationers come to escape the heat in the low lands.

1 Like

Beware indeed . Taiwan is not like going to another American state it is a completely different planet a different state of consciousness

The air is different, the sun shines differently. Your spirit enters a different magnetic field

Taiwan is a magic potion that is slow acting
But you will never be rid of its pull once it takes hold

Like the posting ‘’ when is the best time to leave Taiwan? ‘’. That would be about an hour Before you arrive

You are going to be bewildered you will in short order be confused and lose your sense of direction as your soul adjust to the gravity of Taiwan

You will love and hate
Taiwan probably mostly hate until a balance
Is reached

The ‘magnetic draw of Taiwan is already affecting you as you contemplate your imminent arrival ! The dark matter is at work already. You feel a sense of finality and this is understandable

It will NOT be anything like the USA nothing like it

Ok ok relax you have about three years before the Taiwan poison takes effect

The saying is if you survive three years on Taiwan then you will possibly be sentenced to 30 to life

4 Likes

I mean the Alishan National Scenic Area.

That is one tiny part of the Alishan and central mountain range.