Coldplay: X&Y new album

Even though the world release is this coming monday, FNAC at Asiaworld have been selling it since yesterday.

(For anyone that is interested)

Got mine today, Mmmmm. I’ve only played it twice in the car (not ideal first listening conditions)

I think this one is probably a “grower” unlike both their previous efforts which were love at first hear.

I also hear way too much U2 on this album… (never been a fan)

What’s that tune with the silly percussion section in the middle? :noway:

Anyway, what do you think?

L :smiley:

well, I bought 3 discs today and I haven’t tried that one yet!!! I’d prefer an hour to do that which I haven’t had yet.

Ah, Coldplay. The new Radiohead, which is to say good, but hideously overrated and overhyped. And the fact the lead singer actually thought “Apple” was a good name for his child makes me lose a lot of respect for him.

Maybe he’s a Mac fan.

I’m gonna call mine “Powerbook”

L :slight_smile:

iPod has a ring to it too :smiley:

Did you read today’s NYT?

[quote]THERE’S nothing wrong with self-pity. As a spur to songwriting, it’s right up there with lust, anger and greed, and probably better than the remaining deadly sins. There’s nothing wrong, either, with striving for musical grandeur, using every bit of skill and studio illusion to create a sound large enough to get lost in. Male sensitivity, a quality that’s under siege in a pop culture full of unrepentant bullying and machismo, shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand, no matter how risible it can be in practice. And building a sound on the lessons of past bands is virtually unavoidable. But put them all together and they add up to Coldplay, the most insufferable band of the decade. . .

Clearly, Coldplay is beloved: by moony high school girls and their solace-seeking parents, by hip-hop producers who sample its rich instrumental sounds and by emo rockers who admire Chris Martin’s heart-on-sleeve lyrics. The band emanates good intentions, from Mr. Martin’s political statements to lyrics insisting on its own benevolence. Coldplay is admired by everyone - everyone except me. . .[/quote]
nytimes.com/2005/06/05/arts/ … html?8hpib

I agree. There are much better fruits he could have named his kid after.

Thank Christ! I’m not alone! :laughing:

Well, he’s not the brightest apple in the barrel.

[quote]CHRIS MARTIN believes the World War II could have been prevented if ADOLF HITLER had listened to BOB MARLEY whilst smoking marijuana.

The COLDPLAY frontman rates music’s power on the listener so highly - he wonders if key moments in history could have had a different outcome if those influential figures had listened to certain tunes.

Martin, 28, says, "Actually, to be fair, I was wondering whether certain people would change if they heard certain songs.

"Would it be really possible to start Nazi Germany if you’d just been listening to Bob Marley’s EXODUS back-to-back for the past three weeks and getting stoned? Would the idea of the Holocaust seem so appealing?

"I know this sounds so trite, but I mean it seriously, because music is something that every human responds to.

“That’s a reason why people who’ve had bad relationships with their parents listen to angry stuff.”

He adds, "It would be interesting to see how the world would be different if DICK CHENEY (US Vice President) really listened to RADIOHEAD’s OK COMPUTER.

“I think the world would probably improve. That album is f***ing brilliant. It changed my life, so why wouldn’t it change his?”
[/quote]

As a casual listener(ie someone that’s only heard Yellow) are the songs as catchy as Yellow? To me, they’ve always been a one-hit wonder.

If Limey had said early 80’s U2 my interest in this particular album would have picked up.

a Coldplay special is running on MTV right now actually

Matchstick man, no it’s that horrible overblown pompus sound they started around “Pop”. Although when watching the MTV thing last night I thought that Coldplay’s sound hadn’t changed that much from the last record. Good show last night. I was surprised to see Chris having so much energy on stage. He’s way into playing live, you could tell he was hyped by the way he moved and acted on stage. I was expecting more orf a shoe gazing mumbling front man.

I predicted the new album was a grower. I was walking down the beach in ?? yesterday and bits of it came floating back to me. Interesting. Truant. What do you think, now you’ve had a chance to listen?

Mm, I’d certainly recommend “A rush of blood to the head” their second CD. It’s a little heavier than "“Yellow” and the material on “Parachutes” but a damn fine record. Perhaps ( dare I say it, at this early stage, their best)

Did you read today’s NYT?

[quote]THERE’S nothing wrong with self-pity. As a spur to songwriting, it’s right up there with lust, anger and greed, and probably better than the remaining deadly sins. There’s nothing wrong, either, with striving for musical grandeur, using every bit of skill and studio illusion to create a sound large enough to get lost in. Male sensitivity, a quality that’s under siege in a pop culture full of unrepentant bullying and machismo, shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand, no matter how risible it can be in practice. And building a sound on the lessons of past bands is virtually unavoidable. But put them all together and they add up to Coldplay, the most insufferable band of the decade. . .

Clearly, Coldplay is beloved: by moony high school girls and their solace-seeking parents, by hip-hop producers who sample its rich instrumental sounds and by emo rockers who admire Chris Martin’s heart-on-sleeve lyrics. The band emanates good intentions, from Mr. Martin’s political statements to lyrics insisting on its own benevolence. Coldplay is admired by everyone - everyone except me. . .[/quote]
nytimes.com/2005/06/05/arts/ … html?8hpib[/quote]

This doesn’t surprise me, coming from a country where Creed is one of the most popular bands in recent years.

They are not the new Radiohead but there is a depth and grandeur in similar vein to Radiohead. I bought the CD on Saturday too and I love it even if he did name his child Apple.

[quote=“Mugatu”]Did you read today’s NYT?

This doesn’t surprise me, coming from a country where Creed is one of the most popular bands in recent years.

They are not the new Radiohead but there is a depth and grandeur in similar vein to Radiohead.[/quote]

I’ve never heard of Creed. For that matter I couldn’t name a single song by Radiohead or Coldplay. :blush: U2, they put out some great albums.

Maybe I should start watching MTV to see what kids are listening to these days. :ponder:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Mugatu”]Did you read today’s NYT?

They are not the new Radiohead but there is a depth and grandeur in similar vein to Radiohead.[/quote]

I’ve never heard of Creed. [/quote]

Don’t forget Garth Brooks, Dixie Chicks, Shania Twain and the rest in the multi billion dollar country music industry.
Robbie Williams still is relatively unknown in the states also.

Hopefully he’ll stay that way.

Just downloaded this. I’m not a huge fan of Coldplay, but I really like some of the songs on “A Rush of Blood to the Head.” That being said, just about every song on this album is terrible. The sound is OK, but the lyrics are painfully terrible. Really. My eardrums are bleeding.

Ahh, it’s a grower, honestly. I’ve been listening to it this week and really been enjoying it. I never thought I’d say that after the first listen. Try headphones for a different feel!

yes its a grower and yes bits pop into your head when you’re walking around. agreed!

the hype will put people off though - some people just refuse to like anything that too many people like. how many people do you know refuse to read harry potter? i know loads.

the lyrics are sometimes… weak… mmmaybe… but maybe they dont have a very specific meaning so you can make them mean whatever you want. not everyone writes songs like james taylor.

it doesnt have the power or majesty of ‘a rush of blood’ but i think ill be listening to it for a good while. it has its high moments too - ‘everything i - know - is - wrong’ ‘from the first line of the first page’