College admissions in Taiwan/transfers

I don’t really understand how college admissions work in Taiwan.

If I want to study something in Taiwan, how do I go about doing it?

I’m a bog standard Taiwanese, I don’t have overseas Taiwanese identity (I don’t even know how that works), but my Chinese isn’t at high school level so if I gotta take tests, there’s no way I’d have a fair competition with Taiwanese.

So do Taiwan colleges accept transfers, or do they have transfer admission?

Thinking of studying engineering. Not worried about job prospect at this time, just need to study and learn stuff.

Generally speaking, yes, they accept transfer admissions. However to the best of my knowledge you need to be enrolled in another university in order to transfer.
A good first step will be to contact the faculty you want to study in, and ask them about enrollement and the requirements. Many universities allow people to sit in on lectures, maybe that is something you can do to (just listen to the lectures, without taking tests or getting a diploma). You could ask about this option too.

What do you mean enrolled in another university? Does it have to be concurrent?

I got a bunch of credits from my enrollment at UT Austin.

I suspect the private universities will let you in as long as you can pay. Just contact them, they are desperate for students

The national universities are also lowering expectations in order to fill seats. They will be cheaper and more prestigious, but also more competitive

Quality differences will depend on the specific program at these or thise universities. If you just want to learn stuff universities aren’t always a good choice. You can learn more on the Internet, and more efficiently. If you want connections and credentials, then universities are a better choice

The universities are all pushing English courses and programs, just look for an engineering program in English

1 Like


國立臺灣大學 111 學年度轉學生招生簡章

Qualifications for reference
Anyone who meets one of the following qualifications can apply for the second-year transfer student admissions examination of each department (group) of the school in accordance with the relevant regulations of this brochure. more than one semester. 2. Students who have completed the first semester of the first year of a two-year bachelor’s program. 3. College students have one of the following circumstances:
(1) Obtain a diploma from a technical school or graduate from a specialized course.
(2) Students who have completed the prescribed years of study. 4. Pass the self-study academic qualification examination, and hold a certificate of passing the academic qualification assessment of the degree of graduation from a technical school. 5. Be at least 22 years old, have completed (completion) a senior high school, or have completed the required years of study in a senior high school
One of the qualifications, and have taken courses in the following different subjects with a cumulative total of more than 80 credits, and hold credit certificates: (1) University-level credit courses of universities or universities in the air.
(2) Schools above junior colleges promote education credit courses.
(3) Non-formal education courses approved by the Ministry of Education. (4) Vocational training institutions offering vocational continuing education credit courses approved by the Ministry of Education
(5) Vocational continuing education credit courses in colleges or above.
6. A full-time student who has completed 36 credits in the Air University.
Applicants with foreign academic qualifications must meet the requirements of the university’s procedures for the recognition of foreign academic qualifications, the procedures for the verification and recognition of academic qualifications in Hong Kong and Macau, the procedures for the recognition of academic qualifications in the mainland, or Article 9 of the standards for the recognition of equivalent academic qualifications for admission to universities. Note: 1. This enrollment does not accept applications from mainland students (including those studying in Taiwan).

  1. Hong Kong and Macau students are limited to applicants who have already taken bachelor courses in Taiwan or have permanent residency in Taiwan.

Yes, you have to be an active student in order to transfer to a Taiwanese university. And even then, it is up to the TW university to decide if they accept it or not.
Sadly, you can’t get into a TW university because 20 years ago you were a student in another university in Texas.

Transfer means from one to the other, you can’t transfer universities if you aren’t enrolled

Some universities might recognize your old credits, some might not. As @izzy says, best thing to do is contact the local universities that you are interested in and see what they say

My guess in Taiwan is that the MoE won’t allow them to recognize the credits unless you go through a notarization and authorization process with TECO. Why not contact UT Austin and see if they already have partnerships with Taiwanese universities?

If the credits are more than 10 years old, don’t be surprised if nobody wants to recognize them. Especially for things like math, which don’t change much but we do forget, or things like computers, which do change a lot, older credits should be retaken

I know UT Austin (actually any Texas public universities) have an “academic fresh start” thing where any credits over 10 years old can be erased from record (helpful if your grades back then wasn’t too great…).

So how does TW universities deal with gap years and restarting after dropping out?

If you start from the first year again,“特殊選才招生” could be a way to be admitted by taiwanese university without taking the college entrance exams. you might need to take SAT, or similar test in some foreign country, or IB test, to be eligible. im not sure, so ask to any school with english taught program which you want to go, if they do 特殊選才招生 and how you can apply. most of them do interview, and some of them do their own paper test, which might be taken in english.

the below are all in chinese, so use machine translator or someone who can explain it to you, if needed.

brief explanation on the recruitment system

schools that used the system this school year, and their schedules, capacity, links to their own guidelines etc.

I already took the SAT/ACT or whatever college entrance test. I wouldn’t have gotten to UT Austin otherwise.

I’m not sure the old SAT they accept. each department could request different things, so you better ask them.

Many schools have 在職專班 on-the-job programs.


Probably not well. See my posts above

This, @Taiwan_Luthiers. Do this.

I was able to audit classes at NCCU for a very small fee and didn’t have to go through a rigorous admissions process. This was many years ago so I don’t remember the process exactly, but I ended up dropping them because the courses were extremely poorly taught. I’m now doing an online master’s at UT Austin, which I highly recommend.

I didn’t think UT Austin does online degrees, I know they offer online classes via Canvas but you still had to show up to a physical classroom for a couple of days in order to be counted as “in residence”.

Plus I don’t think I can get into UT Austin’s engineering program, they are VERY competitive.

I’ve not had good experience with Taiwanese professors though… If you thought American professors are the ivory tower types, you haven’t seen Taiwanese professors.

The program I’m doing is fully online:

Maybe they don’t do online undergraduate degrees, but he just told you he is doing an online masters degree with them.

This comes back to: if you want to learn, use the internet; if you want a quality program, going to the vaunted national universities means nothing (there are good and bad programs all over). Universities offer credential, one that can often be paid for without requiring much learning

As opposed to “online”?

There are a variety, some of the professors I work with are excellent. Same with professors in any country

1 Like

@Taiwan_Luthiers, i guess you don’t want to retake general/basic classes you already learnt, unless you want a degree. maybe most schools do this.

for basic classes, many schools open them online.

Yea I really like to avoid taking classes on classical chinese literature if I can help it… but Germany is the only country I know of that skips all the general education crap (those were taken in high school there).