Colonoscopy open discussion

The people who turn up in a doctor’s office are often afflicted with some sort of gag-inducing ickiness, and doctors basically just get used to it. I guess poo becomes a rather mundane variant of all the other nasty things that our bodies can produce. And perhaps there’s only a limited number of things that can go wrong with what’s basically a pipe with a valve at the end, so it’s a nice humdrum job with a good salary. It’s like having a Dyno-rod franchise, except you get a nicer car.

2 Likes

Disgust is a learned response. The things I’ve seen in Special Needs! You simply don’t forget your first exploding stoma bag. A real literal and figurative shower of shit :joy:

1 Like

It seems to me that the main difference between doctors and sewage operatives is that the latter get high-tech PPE. Doctors get a blue mask and some gloves that tend to split.

1 Like

Do we really want “colonoscopy” and “open” in the same title? :thinking:

I had 2 done already (one every 5 years).
personally the preparation (enemas and laxatives) was more difficult than the exam itself.
First was without sedation - you dont feel too much discomfort physically, its not that bad.
Second was with sedation - you dont feel anything at all.

I recommend taking the sedation option.

4 Likes

I second that. I had my first ever colonoscopy and upper endoscopy last year during a full health exam (yep, they went in at both ends). Everyone I talked to beforehand suggested paying the extra money for sedation; I did, and the procedures were a breeze. Except the preparation, like you said.

1 Like

I had colonoscopy in U.K. and I was given a home enema kit type of thing.
No evening meal night before.
Pushed a rubber bung up the rectum, squirted fluid in waited 10 minutes and let it come out. Felt good after.
I had the search done no sedation, 2 polyps where snipped off didn’t feel a thing.

Me, only had it once but had a weird reaction when I woke up. They gave me morphine, but then threw me out the ward for being too chatty.

1 Like

My original point was the lack of intelligence coupled with lack of diligence (professionalism?) that is displayed by doctors, nurses and the hospitals in general. Tthungs like cross contamination, sanitation etc which can lead to people getting sick. In this case think hepatitis, parasites and the like. Sort of how about half the time phlebotomists dont wear gloves taking drugs. personally I dont want her doing a half ass wipe of 70% isopropyl on her hands after taking a twitching drug fiend then finger my skins needle insertion point. Just bad practice.

I wasnt talking about “oh my bum hurts, this is icky” :slight_smile:

Just to clarify :upside_down_face:

After — riiiiight.

You’re right. Perhaps “tight discussion” is more appropriate.

I did these in the last half year without full-body anesthesia. They told me I needed a Covid test at the hospital to be able to enter the hospital the next day. I was upset because it cost 1000 and NHI did not cover it. That was my first and only Covid test so far.

The throat one is fine. They use a spray with anesthetic and spray into the back of your throat. It was not too bad.

Then for the colonoscopy.

The stuff they give you to clean your bowels in the days leading up to it has sugar in it and I am on keto, which apparently they did not understand and were unable to offer alternatives for. I also drank a lot of soup broth with some olive oil in it, since all of the things they said I could eat had sugar too. So basically I got very few calories for about 2 days, which did not bother me much.

The colonoscopy was a bit of a nightmare though. I would need to have a hard think about anesthesia if I had to do one again. I still probably would not get it though.

1 Like

Just had a colonoscopy on Tuesday. Have had 5 in last twenty years. Not sure if every clinic uses same method but the last two times have been much easier because:
1)laxative mixture no longer is such sour taste…well, almost no taste at all
2)coating for throat now even taste okay…and not much needed
3)no more bloating due to air pumped into colon. I have yet to ask doctor if now using CO2 or what?
4)almost no groggy feeling upon waking up from sedation
I have never had colonoscopy without sedation…simply because I am a wimp.

2 Likes

Once again references from the movie Idiocracy ring true :joy:

In some circumstances, Taiwan health care is embarrassingly close to this reality. Not there yet, but in the region.

I’m guessing the mental stress could be potentially worth it more than than the physical duress for some people. Like me.

My bum squeezes tight even if my own fingers get too close.

What are you doing with your fingers down there? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Wiping my ass. Is there some way to wipe your ass without fingers getting close? I don’t have a water shotgun but maybe I should get one.

Get the bum gun. Worth every penny. :+1:

3 Likes

I cannot do an endoscopy without general anaesthesia, because my gag reflex is too strong. And they’re not putting a camera up my asshole without general, either.
Try to get both done at the same time. The cost is 6k.

Never the Twain shall meet!