Coming soon to Taiwan? Rise of xenophobia towards Westerners

Aren’t Americans technically Easterners for Taiwanese?
:ponder:

1 Like

Not if you look west.

1 Like

If I look to the west I see Mainland China :grin:

Forgot to thank you for this. I have an open tab on my phone now so I can show students. Came in handy last night for the oldies.

2 Likes

btw. you can click on the Nationality to search for case number and deitails from that nationality

e.g. Americans

1 Like

Look harder!

1 Like

Best I keep my UK accent and mouth shut!
I’ve been a good boy avoiding MRT, markets, pub wearing a mask since end of Jan but residents who known me 6 months won’t share a lift.
Don’t wish to be deported for losing my cool.
Started a online course to keep inside go cycling with full mask sunglasses and helmet.

Magic class? Is she at clown school?

3 Likes

You see who her father is??
Every fuckin day is clown school :clown_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, but can they claim government regulation that doesn’t exist?
If that’s true, I wish some cafes wouldn’t allow kids. Just the ones I go to.

If that’s true, it seems like claiming there is is a violation of some law. It’s not fake news, but it’s close.

Yeah, I think that has a lot to do with it. I’ve been in a several different countries where I stuck out, and even in troubled times I don’t think I’ve ever experienced any discrimination of any type anywhere. But then I knew a woman who was randomly attacked during a troubled time in the same country.

Or in a Harry Potter book?

1 Like

That seems to be par for the course here in Taiwan. Arguing with them and they cite completely fake laws cause they know westerners like to ‘follow the law’ so claiming government is their way of making us comply with the rules.

Again, everyone does this, when customer doesn’t accept THE ALL MIGHTY LAOBAN’s given-from-god’s rules, then claim Government made them do it.

It’s probably legal. The banks do this. The buxibans do this. And now the bars are doing it.

Remember. Say whatever you need to say to get those pesky foreigners outta there.

3 Likes

That opens a world of possibilities.

Not many I know.

It’s great to read this. My experiences are very similar.

In fact, 10 minutes ago, as I was leaving a 7-11, I encountered a random Ah-mah. She smiled at me automatically, and then waved at me. We were quite close, practically face to face. I waved back and she smiled even wider. I wasn’t doing or saying or buying anything particularly special, she was just a nice lady being nice to a random stranger who happened to be white.

Another example from a few months back was meeting the grandmother of one of my primary school students. She was deaf but we managed to have an impromptu improvised sign language conversation for a good 5 or 10 minutes. She’d never seen me before, and maybe has never even seen a white person before, since that was in a quite remote area.

It restores my faith in humanity to have these kind of pleasant encounters, and ones where spoken language is not a factor.

I would say that for every one nutter there are probably 20 kind and amiable individuals. Even the nutters can become tolerable or even pleasant after you get to know them. I wonder if it has something to do with the differences between large city folk vs. people living in more rural or smaller cities.

4 Likes

Yep there’s always going to be a couple of nutters and/or morons, and they will say and do nutty and/or moronic things. Probably to you

2 Likes

Absolutely! I have several of those kind of stories I could share as well, but I don’t think my stories are of great interest to the average reader. Just to reassure Forumosans that Taiwan is not known for racism, I conducted a few Google searches using autofill. You can find some interesting results related to what has been searched in the past. None of the results had anything to do with racism

3 Likes

Why is Taiwan so hot? Yes…that’s definitely what I want to know.

7 Likes

Yeah! That’s a real problem I wish could be solved. Nearly the only part of life Taiwan that I can’t 習慣 (xiguan). My home AC runs whenever I’m home, apart from a month (max) during the colder days of winter. My main bedroom faces East, but not exposed to that much sunlight. Nevertheless, always hot.

Jan/Feb electricity bill the lowest ever (only 1600). Mostly due to my AC having a busted bearing which squeaked and annoyed my bitchy neighbors.

Anywho, heat and electricity bills: no respecter of persons.

1 Like

I came from Singapore, so I love how cool it is. Still, I only needed to wear pants about 15 times in the last 9 months, yet people still dress up like they’re planning on conquering Mt Everest.

3 Likes

Yeah, compared to Singapore. That place is brutal. I don’t see how anyone can live there really, given the choice of moving somewhere else.

Clean, safe, and organized. You don’t have to hunt for 30 minutes to find a garbage can. The laws don’t contradict each other or favor frivolous and fraudulent litigation. The dictators are largely benevolent, and it’s not like people want freedom anyway. Fewer clothing costs as you only have to have clothes for one season. You lose weight because you are too hot to eat.

It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty good on average.

6 Likes