Coming soon to Taiwan? Rise of xenophobia towards Westerners

But I’ve already read it. What do I do now?

20% are dog haters or you have some sort of “Devil dog”?

She’s a big, energetic puppy and a significant number of children and elderly are afraid of dogs. When I apologize to them and assure them she won’t bite, most are quite nice and many apologize to me saying they’re afraid of dogs.

I’ve been bitten several times by dogs whose owners assured me they don’t bite.

3 Likes

That is my take and I might have bern here nearly as long as you !
The recent Riverside park Israeli killer case didn’t seem to have much effect on perceptions of white uns so I doubt this will.

1 Like

Have you thought, perhaps, that you taste especially good?

5 Likes

he might have been asshole.

1 Like

Dogs do seem to love the taste of asshole.

3 Likes

The dog or the victim?

3 Likes
5 Likes

I was reading this thread and went back to real life for a moment, upon returning new notifications on updates here are about dogs and holes, not uncommon on this side of the jungle.

2 Likes

i think its fair enough… Taiwanese are not going to get violent anything. so i think most of us just go about our business without giving two shits. so in that respect its not bad but it still exists for sure. the pitchforks come out whenever there is an opportunity. and people are still quite backwards about certain things.

recently i was with my gfs family and one of the kids was complaining about how he is scared of having a black teacher. nobody corrected him, everyone had a good laugh about it. i’m sure this sort of thing goes on every day behind closed doors.

well those news storys crop up because there is a rabid audience for it. its usually not because of the unflattering acts being newsworthy or anything, such as the banana skin guy apology letter guy.

1 Like

That was your chance. Bring a little world view into their ignorant lives. By saying nothing you’re allowing it to continue. But I absolutely understand that scenario. I was in a similar awkward situation once upon a time where the boss called an employee “a monkey”. At the time I also looked around waiting for the 20 other people to say something but nobody did. Later on I realized if I don’t speak up nobody will.

Probably someone at that table wished to be corrected but as a previous poster hinted at, everyone here follows the crowd and will do what everyone else does. If it’s in to laugh at black people and the less fortunate you can guarantee they will here. I’ve countless other experiences of that kind of stuff here but I don’t want to derail the thread. Just hope we can all lookout for each other and let our voices heard in the event we find ourselves in these situations. If we don’t speak up nothing changes… even if the in laws are scary!

2 Likes

So basically you’re saying it’s us against them? :thinking:

That’s the spirit… :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

and I’m still not sure who are us. :thinking:

2 Likes

Johnny blue eyes, apparently…

1 Like

ok then. it’s you against them thing.

1 Like

I actually have gray eyes, so I guess I didn’t make the cut. :sunglasses:

1 Like

This is the norm for me as well, with a couple of potential mitigating circumstances:

• I live in Chiayi, and people are pretty laid-back
  • I am fluent enough to get by in nearly any situation, which most people I encounter find endearing
  • I am a bachelor, not necessarily by choice, so no miscegenation issues
  • I don’t go around advertising it, but my status as professor seems to give me some respect

On the other hand, some people are just IDIOTS, not necessarily racist. An example:

• My elderly neighbor and I chat in Chinese (he was born in China).
  • Met some of his idiotic family members coming down from Taipei (I’ve met them before; they were maskless and crammed into the elevator after me).
  • I tried to ignore the idiots in the extended family as they tried to drop English words (eg., “neighbor”) in reference to me/us.
  • Old man greeted me in Chinese, I replied in Taiwanese.
  • Idiot family member “You talk English to him.”
  • Old man, “How are you?”
  • I (the asshole just finishing paperwork for a full Saturday): “拜託!” with extreme eyerolling directed towards the idiot family member.
  • Wiser elder female in Chinese, “He can speak Chinese and Taiwanese, why use English?” (I guess trying to save face).
  • Continued to ignore them. I don’t need “face” from the twice a year visiting bonehead family members of my neighbor. I will still chat with him as usual, the usual minimum required for civility.
5 Likes

Lol. I hear you. I’m pretty zen about this at this point though. You talk what you want and I talk what I want is my philosophy.

5 Likes