Compliments and Flattery

:roflmao: been there done that. Last august I got a hair cut, I had to hide under a bandana for a few months (unpretty at best). Now I am okay but won’t go to a hairstylist in Taiwan if my life depended on it. Not worth the social death!

JP you are the BEST!!! The first best person here.

Don’t :no-no: she’ll fall in love with you. :laughing:

I love all of you. You are the most articulatist person that I knows! :notworthy:

:roflmao: been there done that. Last august I got a hair cut, I had to hide under a bandana for a few months (unpretty at best). Now I am okay but won’t go to a hairstylist in Taiwan if my life depended on it. Not worth the social death!

[/quote]

Yeah, really grrrrim. Cheap, though. Aveda for colouring!

No, it’s just a nice thing to do (something nice people understand).

Don’t :no-no: she’ll fall in love with you. :laughing:[/quote]

Well, I most certainly won’t tell her of my fluffy bunny fantasies, inspired by her lissom nose: Headband with pink rabbit ears, belt with cottontail.

. . .

Edit: I believe a BC post disappeared.

Buttercup is very smart. I always read her posts because she writes so well and isn’t afraid of expressing an opinion. I find people without opinions boring.

Anything in temp is definitely worth a read. In particular, I love it when she says, “I don’t do internet fights anymore . . .”

:popcorn:

Zender’s temp work is also worth archiving. :2cents:

[quote=“Thelonlieste”]Edit: I believe a BC post disappeared.

Buttercup is very smart. I always read her posts because she writes so well and isn’t afraid of expressing an opinion. I find people without opinions boring.

Anything in temp is definitely worth a read. In particular, I love it when she says, “I don’t do internet fights anymore . . .”

:popcorn:

Zender’s temp work is also worth archiving. :2cents:[/quote]

Flattery will get you nowhere!

Yeah, my post got eaten. It’s not in temp, and it wasn’t naughty, so, I guess gremlins ate it. Never mind.

‘No, it’s just a nice thing to do (something nice people understand).’

I was explaining that if I’m going to talk about superficial blah, I’d rather talk about lighting farts, or whether dinosaurs evolved from reptiles or birds, than whether my hair is nice, because either it does, and I already know because it’s on my head, or the complimenter is talking me up to get something, in a dog-like display of submission.

JP you are the BEST!!! The first best person here.[/quote]

Oh, no! I’m planning on getting a haircut next week and I was already scared, but now I’m terrified! :frowning:

And to get back on topic, Divea you are awesome and by far one of my favorite people on this board. You are always so nice!!! I wish I could be that nice all the time, but people piss me off too much :doh:

Your mother was not a hampster, and your father doesn’t smell of elderberries.

Me: Wow, your father owns a brewery!? That’s bloody fantastic!
She: Sod off, you drunkard!

A bit of a slap in the face in return for a well-meant compliment.

:s

Me last night (being close to wife): Hmmmm… you smell so good.

Me (…): No wait, that’s me. I took some of your moisture cream.

Im naturally closer to BC and divea than DB on this, I think its marks one of the great social divides between US and Anglo cultures

“British sportmanship” is to buck up and play well, and we tend to internalise our play . So if i cock up, I’ll hang my head down and be like “my bad.” Therefore, I found playing on US sports teams very unsettling at first since even a crappy play would get a “yeah, you go, great play!” [just as i am self depreciating] :unamused:

However, after a while I kind got used to it and began to appreciate and respect my US counterparts for being supportive “through thick and thin” and “looking forward to brighter prospects rather than regretting past errors”. Without going into a post colonial analysis of the diverging social attitudes, I would like to thank all my american chums for showing the world to “always look on the bright side of life”

or was that us brits?

:blush:

Regardless, thank you America, and more especialyl thank you butter, jimi, divea, and most of all dragon

We all rock, don’t we? :laughing:

Me: Does my bum look big in this?
Sis: Yes. Like two pigs fighting in a binbag. Don’t stand near the wireless box - you’ll block the signal.
Me: Bah.
Sis: Wear that grey rag - you look like less of a wildebeest in that.

Meaning - ‘you look nice in the grey dress’. Standard informal Brit discourse.

Plus, you have to remember that Dragonbones is American. They say all KINDS of daft stuff over there, such as complete strangers instructing other complete strangers to “have a nice day, y’hear?”
Foreigners are weird.

It does seem quite British to not like compliments, or to only offer them in the form of insults. A friend recently back from Australia told me I looked ‘well’ the other day. “Stop with the foreign bullshit,” was my curt reply.

Guilty as charged. :aiyo:

Why, I remember once after talking to sandman, as I was leaving, I said, “It’s been nice talkin’ to ya.”

I lied; it weren’t nice atall. :neutral:

But I am not British (or English, or welsh, or scottish or irish or…). Does this mean, that I can never learn to say a polite thank -you with a smile and sideways bending of the neck, am I condemned to head shaking, going na li na li :laughing: