Confused About Teaching Kindy ... Again

This topic comes up sometimes and there’s so much disinformation about it, especially the claim that it is illegal for all foreigners to teach kindy, or that it is illegal to teach English to children under six. There is no law against either of these. If anyone claims otherwise, ask them to show you the law.

Here are the facts:

The MOE doesn’t like kindies teaching English to children under 6. Their general guidelines are that it should be limited to lesssons which take up less than half a day, but not immersion English instruction. Schools that break these regulations could fail to have their licenses renewed (in theory, after warnings).

Foreigners can’t get an ARC to teach kindy, and are not allowed to work in a kindy or the kindy department of a buxiban. They could lose their ARC or even get deported if caught.

Foreginers on a JPRV (or as far as I know APRC or working holiday visa) are not specifically proscribed against teaching kindy in the same way as ARC holders.

BUT all teaching kindergarten staff, whether foreign or local, or staff working in the kindergarten departments of schools registered as buxibans, have to be certified (I am unsure of the qualification/certification details) in some way by the MOE to teach kindergarten (to teach them anything, not just English). Of course most schools flout this rule to some extent with their local teachers. If the school is caught hiring uncertified teachers they may also have trouble with their licence (again after warnings).

Well, I may just be another one with the ‘facts’ but this is based on ten years of teaching with a JFRV, enquiries to police, labor department, NIA and MOE. I’ve had the police come in to kindergarten when I was teaching. My boss has researched it thoroughly, and I have checked the laws. Don’t claim that there is a law against foreigners teaching English to kindergarten students unless you can actually show us the law - they’re all availbale online in English :slight_smile: