Teaching English Requirements

Damn. I’ve just been searching, and yeah, it’s a confusing mess. The best discussion I’ve seen is in this thread, but there’s nothing authoritative in it; here’s one of the better posts:

Here’s a Taipei Times article that’s referenced in that thread…

… with the key quote:

Labor officials said that Article 46 of the Employment Services Act (就業服務法) states it is illegal for kindergartens to hire foreign staff, but may do so if the applicant fits the conditions outlined in Article 48 and Article 51.

These conditions include permanent residency in Taiwan, marriage to a Taiwanese spouse, having lineal relatives with a registered residence or refugee status, the officials said.

But at the moment I can’t find any clear quotation of the law, although that thread linked to above strongly suggests the English translation of the law is different from the Chinese version. Good times!

BiggusDickus, can you find a definite law or source for that? (EDIT, “that” = “The law was changed in 2009 forbidding buxibans from teaching English to under 6s”) For years I’ve thought that teaching English to under-6s is illegal, but after reading that other thread, now I have no idea.

EDIT: fantastic post from one of our alien overlords, but it’s huge …

2 Likes