Teaching English Requirements

Western 6 - ie their 6th birthday.

You mean 50k p/m is too high of an expectation?

No, I mean the opposite.

I have been out of buxiban teaching for quite a few years, though, but I find it hard to believe that the market has got so bad that a newbie couldn’t get 50k.

Oh, phew, okay… :smiley:

Iirc, if it is a buxiban, English teachers can teach students at any age. Whether the buxiban is actually a non-registered kinder is another issue.

Im pending this comment. I might have remembered wrongly.

True. Getting 50,000+ in total is reasonable. But I think getting that at ONE job is unlikely. They’ll probably have to work at a couple of different places with odd shifts.

Nope. The law was changed in 2009 forbidding buxibans from teaching English to under 6s. You can thank Dr Lin for that. She’s a right trouble maker.

1 Like

Waiitt… whats the difference??

So if a buxiban tells me they are registered as a buxiban and not a kindergarten its okay to teach 5 year olds?

So… 7?

first birthday- 1 , etc?

EDIT: Err wait… I see… nevermind! So six haha.

1 Like

Damn. I’ve just been searching, and yeah, it’s a confusing mess. The best discussion I’ve seen is in this thread, but there’s nothing authoritative in it; here’s one of the better posts:

Here’s a Taipei Times article that’s referenced in that thread…

… with the key quote:

Labor officials said that Article 46 of the Employment Services Act (就業服務法) states it is illegal for kindergartens to hire foreign staff, but may do so if the applicant fits the conditions outlined in Article 48 and Article 51.

These conditions include permanent residency in Taiwan, marriage to a Taiwanese spouse, having lineal relatives with a registered residence or refugee status, the officials said.

But at the moment I can’t find any clear quotation of the law, although that thread linked to above strongly suggests the English translation of the law is different from the Chinese version. Good times!

BiggusDickus, can you find a definite law or source for that? (EDIT, “that” = “The law was changed in 2009 forbidding buxibans from teaching English to under 6s”) For years I’ve thought that teaching English to under-6s is illegal, but after reading that other thread, now I have no idea.

EDIT: fantastic post from one of our alien overlords, but it’s huge …

2 Likes

Yeah, it usually takes a while to figure out the market and get a decent income. The OP’s going to have an absolute minimum of 14 hours a week with his ARC sponsor employer. So, assuming he manages to land a job, absolute bare minimum monthly income will be around 35k a month before 18% tax. Perhaps best to start from that worse case scenario. Seems overly cautious to me though.

1 Like

I talked to the MOE in New Taipei City and they didn’t give any age restriction for attending a Buxiban. Technically, as long as they don’t eat and sleep, you can work in a buxiban teaching the children songs and dances. I probably got some bad information though. At the time it seemed odd that there were tons of regulations for kindergartens and preschools but just a few for Buxibans.

Toward the OP’s question: It’s really simple to get a job teaching English. If you make your resume look great and you give a great demo with a bright shiny smile you can land all kinds of teaching jobs. Start applying today and they might even hire you via skype. If money is a concern just know that most people settle into jobs between 40,000 and 80,000 starting out. You have the advantage of being able to move to where your job is so that allows you to take the best job for the most money. Check ads on Tealit and Facebook Groups, hell even orseek.com. You will find a great job and love living on this utopian island paradise.

1 Like

Oh dang forgot about the 18% tax if you are in the country for less than 184 days in the calendar year. You might want to consider that OP. Does anyone know if he can get that back when he files taxes next year?

Here’s what was discussed back in 2009 when the rules to forbid teaching English to under 6s were first mooted:

1 Like

He’ll get some of it back in September 2019 assuming he starts work in the first half of this year.

It seems the draft has not been passed yet, as of 2017.

3 Likes

Really? Wow! I don’t have a clue what the current legal situation is, then. It’s all a bit of a grey area.

1 Like

I try to explain it simply.

If you are on a work based ARC, kindergarten cannot provide it, so working in a kinder is a violation of the Employment Services Act and Immigration Act in addition to The Statute for Preschool Educators. You will be deported.

If you have an open work permit or a marriage based ARC, it’s a violation of The Statute for Preschool Educators, so you will be fined, but not be deported. Officers from NIA would not catch you.

3 Likes

And if it’s a kindergarten registered as a buxiban?

Then the owner broke the law, the school will be fined or shut down and employees not on an APRC or JFRV will be fined and could be deported.

1 Like