Congress asks why mega-rich oil companies need welfare

Acting on a promise to end corporate welfare for the world’s richest companies, Congress is calling on representatives from the five largest U.S. oil companies to Capitol Hill to answer a few questions.

It seems that while posting record profits each quarter (in the tens of billions of dollars), the companies still find it necessary to vehemently fight to retain billion-dollar government tax breaks. With President Bush threatening to veto any legislation that may bring to an end to this form of corporate welfare, congress appears to be pressing ahead with its inquiry.

Congress Slams Oil Chiefs on Profits, Subsidies

because they need to keep the share price high to protect the Cheney and Bush families?

Why do you hate freedom? :raspberry:

Profit is a b!tch if someone else is making it <—Left Wing mantra.

Let the investigations begin. And end corporate farm subsidies while you’re at it. And stop giving money to PBS. And close down the US Dept. of Education. And…

Let me try to analyze what’s going on in your mind on this one…

I’m a Christian → I’m a Republican → Republicans support the oil industry → Support tax breaks for oil companies despite having just raked in record profits :loco:

Now let me try my version of logic:

The purpose of a tax break is for companies who need time for development before they can profit, providing jobs and creating wealth in the process → Oil companies last year made record profits → Oil companies don’t need tax breaks

What if I were to suggest that the money for these tax breaks would be much better given back to the American people (which I am)? Only a crazy, weed smoking, hip-hop loving, “left-wing” hippie would suggest such a… err… what the … issues… not easily definable into left-right model… brain… exploding…

(Something I have to chime in on since I think about this every time I see one of your posts: as an American I have to say your little “don’t mess with America” Bald Eagle GIF is rather embarassing, especially in the context of the rest of your bumper sticker-esque signature. If that’s not your intent my apologies but in my mind it certainly comes off that way. America is a great country, one of the best in the history of the world, but there’s something to be said for… tact. Dude. takes a huge hit)

1 Like

Sure…if it makes you feel good. That comment was directed at the penchant for left-wingers to speak ill of profits while flying in their private jets and living in their large mansion estates. But why make this a personal issue? Why not stick with the subject of the OP?

Speaking for me are you? Well, in this instance you happen to be correct. Allow me to add that I am a poor example of a ‘Christian.’ But yes, I do follow the ‘Christian’ faith.

Again…you are presuming to speak for me. Here you are only generally correct. The fact is that I more correctly aligned with a conservative/Libertarian political view.

Here, you appear to be veering away from your rather presumptuous speaking for me and moved into a self-fulfilling dialogue. One would be safe to say that some Republicans do support the ‘Oil industry.’ Also, I do believe that many Democrats do also support the ‘Oil Industry.’ Along with a number of people who would identify themselves as ‘Independents.’ So, it would seem this attempt at creating a flow-chart or ‘logic-chain’ is faulty if not venturing into self-defeating.

Interrupting here to comment - tax breaks for what exactly? Exploration? Building new refineries? Exploring alternative energy sources? What specific ‘tax breaks’ are you referring to?

Yes they have. Thats what publicy owned companies are designed to do…Make a profit. Keep in mind, shareholders pay the same energy costs as Jphn & Jane Q. Public.

OK…lets.

As previously discussed - there are other types of ‘tax breaks.’

Yes indeed they did.

Again, what ‘tax breaks’ do they not ‘need’? Which areas of ‘tax breaks’ should be curtailed?

Why? And to follow this rather weird thought, How? A ‘tax break’ is a suspension of collected revenue on a profit made by a person or a business entity. How can a non-collected revenue be given to “the people”?

Yeah…it wasn’t making any sense to me either.

Please do. I like a reasoned discussion.

To you? Get over it. I like it. Although I do use others from time to time.

Sorry there Bubba…too vague. I cannot respond in an appropriate and sincere manner to you unless I can decipher your comment.

The one that exploded just a few sentences ago?

Gee…a reference to smokin’ dope…like wow dude…You holdin’?. Pardon my lack of being impressed. I smoked my last doob in 1988. (Darn…thats 20 years ago!) Since then I’ve come to realize that smokin’ dope does not make one more witty, charming or increase ones ability in relevant informational processing.

Glad to see that we agree on this point.

You’re reticent to continue. It’s okay, I’m listening.

A hypothetical. A powerful debate tool indeed.

I cede this point, I’ve got nothing on you here.

Makes is too strong of a word here. I’d rather go with “persuades”.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I feel hurt, honestly…

Yes. Not bad, definitely good.

Exactly.

I’m a Christian and I sure as hell am not a Republican. Not a Democrat, either, but I do think it’s about time congress ends Big Oil welfare!

And small potato stock holders may pay the same energy prices, but the big boys at the top do not–simply because they’re too insulated. If they pump their own gas, it may still cost them three and a half dollars a gallon, but they never feel that the way the little guy feels it!

Hmm. A gallon of gas for the car, or a gallon of milk for the baby? Cost almost the same, so do I go to work, or feed the baby?

High rollers don’t have to think like that.

My oil-company loving republican family which includes me loves to hit the bong so lets leave poor Mary out of this.

As for Oil companies=profit… Stop driving if you don’t like it. If everyone who complains about this would stop using as much oil the oil companies wouldn’t be as profitable. But no, it is easier to bitch and whine. Everyone gets tax breaks in some fashion or another. Why should oil companies be left out? Because they make a assload of money? That’s not right.
Just like everyone can be a Bill Gates if they desire or are in the right place at the right time, so why should someone get punished for that by higher taxes or no tax breaks. Fair is fair Billie Jean.

Keep driving those SUV’s, having families with three cars, cutting the lawn twice a week, having that 3+ bedroom house for a two/three person family… It’s not the oil companies fault they are making so much money so why should they get punished. Stop using their product if you don’t want them to make money. But that would be too much of an inconvenience and it has been realized that going after the wealthy is not going to work. Time to blame someone else.

But I agree, those oil company execs are some greedy bastards, and I don’t like them at all, and I personally use absolutely very little fuel, I guess the only I partake in using would be riding the bus. But I still don’t think they need to be punished just for being greedy bastards.

Profit-making is fine. No problem with that: businesses need to make money. And left-wingers believe this, believe it or not.

Price-gouging ain’t fine, though. And neither are handouts for those who are rolling neck-high in dough.

Funny, I heard a right-winger complaining about high prices the other day…

Some further comments from Investors Busines Daily:

Another way of looking at this. Its not all black&white.
I am fully in favor of developing alternative energy forms - but there is a trade-off with many of these as well. And in some cases, such as the corn example give here, that will increase prices in another area of consumer goods.
Heck…its hitting beer prices as grain is diverted and hop prices are sky-rocketing and hops themselves are becoming scarce!

Well, now, of course, we’ll just have to go and pre-emptively strike and occupy the worlds largest hopps growers. (if that’s not us, that is)

yes, and a lot of grain goes towards animal feed… to feed hungry Americans wanting supersized burgers and steaks in their voracious appetite for beef.

But don’t expect any hearings on Joe “the steak griller”.

Those Bahsturds! Conspiracy!
It’s well & truly the thin edge of the wedge, I say!

That article doesn’t mention what specific tax breaks were being addressed, and whether or not they are unique to the oil industry, so I don’t see the point of debating the article.

In response to an earlier comment,I have a hard time seeing how the price gouging claim holds water if people are willing to pay it over the long term (and in the U.S. they apparently are). All that says is that people still think driving is better than whatever the alternative is. I think the price is high, so I walk, ride a bike, ride a scooter, or use public transit more. If you don’t make adjustments then you agree the price is right.

Besides, if Congress somehow kept the price artificially low, all that would do is cause waste of oil. People would be less careful with how they use oil, which would essentially result in waste of a resource that, as we are constantly reminded of, quite scarce.

A change of infrastructure will be necessary in most of America before modifications such as biking, walking, or public transport become viable options. There isn’t even available public transport for all but a tiny portion of my state, and even what is available is not adequate for handling increased volume of consumers who choose to avoid oil consumption. Pie in the sky sounds great, but most don’t have a ladder that tall.

That’s true to some extent, which is why I say long term. In the short term though people can use bicycles or scooters more – I used to commute over 10 miles via bike–carpool, make fewer separate trips, etc. I don’t see that many people doing those types of things…it’s usually just long lines of gas guzzlers with one person in them. Heck people in my apt. complex will drive to a grocery store that’s less than 1/4 mile away. Where’s the sense in that?

I can see the sense in it if you’re trying to cut out trips and it’s one trip every month or two weeks. How you gonna get all them victuals home on the bike?

Long lines of gas guzzlere with one person in them can’t be used to tell if folks are indeed cutting out trips and planning the ones they have to make to get everything done in the shortest rout. And I bet many of those guzzlers were bought at big incentives that made them cheaper just before prices started to skyrocket.

I’m just saying–the everyman does what he can. Most can’t do all that much. People with kids, for example, can’t bike, at least not with more than one kid. Durring winter months, few people are going to try to ride a bike. Carpooling isn’t even realistic with any combination of more than four kids, and not more than three with carseats.

This country was built around and for driving. That will have to change. If even half the cars were gone in the morning there would be ecconomic melt down next week as no one would know how to get to work.

This bio-fuels stuff is just one big cornspiracy.