Cool ! Poagao in DPP TV ad!

True, but being white he’s probably seen as a foreigner even by people who know he has an ROC passport.

[quote=“Flicka”][quote=“Omniloquacious”]It won’t surprise me to see Poagao being hoisted shoulder high as a hero of the pan-blue media for a while. They’ll be wanting to make the most of him as they’ve had precious few foreigners of any note willing to speak up for them either before or after the election.

Anyway, if it consoles them, then jolly good for all concerned, and I hope Poagao manages to cash in on it as much as he can.[/quote]

He’s not a foreigner.[/quote]

So how should we refer to him? A-do-ah (how DOES one romanize that word?)? Big nose? Caucasian? Person of European ancestry? Non-Chinese? Or what?

I’ll bet the presenters of the TVBS program referred to him as “foreign” in some way or other. And that, of course, is exactly how the overwhelming majority of the program’s viewer’s would have labeled him, no matter which country’s passport he happens to hold. He wouldn’t be of any interest to them if he were anything else.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]

So how should we refer to him? A-do-ah (how DOES one romanize that word?)? Big nose? Caucasian? Person of European ancestry? Non-Chinese? Or what?

I’ll bet the presenters of the TVBS pogram referred to him as “foreign” in some way or other. And that, of course, is exactly how the overwhelming majority of the program’s viewer’s would have labeled him, no matter which country’s passport he happens to hold. He wouldn’t be of any interest to them if he were anything else.[/quote]

I suppose you would refer to him the same way you refer to anyone that holds an ROC passport.

Okay, for some reason beyond my comprehension, my initial rejoinder to Flicka’s very silly comment in the preceding post was whisked off to the Flounder Forum. So let me try again.

Flicka, old fellow, do you really believe that Poagao was featured in the DPP campaign ad, was seized on and interviewed by the KMT after their March 13 rally, and appeared on the TVBS program because, like about 23 million other people here, he holds an ROC passport? Tired as you might be at the end of a long and difficult week, I’m sure you cannot possibly think that (I give you that much credit as you have proven in previous posts that you’re by no means the least intelligent poster on these forums).

Now, do you think it could possibly have had something to do with the fact that he is a white-faced person of European ancestry who happens to have acquired an ROC passport? Eureka! Yes! Oh, the light is so blinding now, isn’t it! Therefore, is it not rather pertinent to refer to the fact that he has this special distinguishing characteristic, this foreignness of appearance, as the factor that makes him so valuable to certain partisan sections of the media under the present circumstances?

But, alas, you pedantically object to referring to him as a “foreigner” because, according to your understanding of that word, it only applies to non-holders of ROC passports, and hey, Poagao has one of those, so he’s technically a Taiwanese, and one shouldn’t refer to him in any other way, even though not doing so will render the points one is striving to make quite devoid of any intelligible meaning. Oh dear!

Yet never mind, let’s go along with that, and ask you what other label one might use to distinguish him from all those other non-foreigner ROC passport holders. But instead of making any sensible or helpful reply to that inquiry, you reply with a remark that is as stunningly fatuous as anything I’ve ever seen anywhere on the Internet. And you wonder why that elicits a rather pointedly head-shaking response, a questioning of the extent to which you were exercising all of what I’m sure are normally your razor-sharp mental faculties when you made it – a response which you promptly have shipped off to the dungeons of Forumosa where it won’t so embarrassingly spotlight the offending vacuity.

Would you now like to have another stab at writing something with more sense and substance, or shall we just leave it at this?

Didn’t correct that Freudian slip in time, eh? Well, the spelling is close… :wink:

In the local papers I saw him referred to as an “American with Taiwanese nationality” (台籍美人) – though that could also be translated as “Taiwanese Beauty.” :smiley:

Any news on him?

What happened to his web site?

[quote=“Mr He”]Any news on him?

What happened to his web site?[/quote]

poagao.org/pjournal.htm explains it all…

Thanks, not a lot happened, apart from running over bandwith. At least he did not get into serious trouble, which is good.

Anyone who can get through the Taiwanese military experience without having grown up in Taiwan is a survivor. I had no doubt Poagao would be fine.

Everyone goes through times where priorities are reexamined and a new direction is sought out. Very healthy process. Best of luck Poagao.

Did anyone see the Poagao spread in Next Magazine’s April 8th edition?
Good pics of you in there, Poagao!
:slight_smile:

I don’t know Poagao, nor have I seen his pic, but I gather that he is “famous” just for giving up his US passport for an ROC one. Is that it? I mean he is not a famous actor here or talk show host or something, is he?

And for getting drafted. :sunglasses: And for writing a book about it. :slight_smile: And for killing a whole lotta pigs. :astonished: And for his devastating good looks. :howyoudoin:

Not a very high bar to fame, sounds like.
Maybe I can be famous for having the biggest beard…no, wait…that would be Mr. Kennedy…

And for flashing Taiwanese people leading to a swing vote of 29,000 thereby electing Chen Shui Bian president.

:rainbow:

And for flashing Taiwanese people leading to a swing vote of 29,000 thereby electing Chen Shuibian president.

:rainbow:[/quote]

And a pretty big ding dong.

[quote=“Flicka”]And a pretty big ding dong.[/quote]He said earlier that isn’t his ding dong.