Coronavirus 2020 - Your experience in home quarantine

Splitting this off from the mega thread for better visibility.

I’ve got two friends that returned from HK recently and were ordered to go into Home Quarantine.

So far it’s been a rather tame experience. Nobody has knocked on the door, nobody has called in to check on them. It’s been uber eats for lunch every day. One has been asked to go into his office for a few hours on Monday (masked up of course) because this quarantine doesn’t seem to be enforced.

Anyone else care to share their experiences?

1 Like

Isn’t that sort of illegal? It sure sounds illegal. In the other thread I asked a couple of times if anyone could find guidelines for what the actual quarantine rules are, but I don’t believe anyone provided any.

1 Like

If caught, they would be fined.

1 Like

Is there an English version of that information somewhere?

EDIT: OK, found this, from here. I’d still like more information on what the isolation and quarantine rules are - for example, in the monster thread some people were guessing that it’d mean everyone in the household was also under quarantine. I’d also like to know how the health checks work. Do people come visit you? Is there the manpower for that?

3 Likes

NO!

1 Like

It’s Taiwan. There’s a difference between legality and enforcement.

Rooftop suites are also illegal.

1 Like

NO!

This attitude is the number one reason I hate Taiwan. No laws, rules or standards of civilized conduct are necessary to follow in Taiwan if you personally don’t want to comply.

7 Likes

Yeah, and driving down the road at 150kph and running red lights may also be unenforced. But it’s still a seriously unethical activity that puts others in danger.

7 Likes

Every single illegal structure should be torn down.

3 Likes

They are allowed contact with outsiders? Carrefour and Welcome deliver too.

And deadly when on fire!

1 Like

Unclear, at least to me. This is part of the reason I’d like to see clear guidelines of what home quarantine actually involves. For example, the Chinese article linked to above suggests that people are violating the terms by having friends over to visit - but while that does seem to violate the spirit of the law, it doesn’t seem to violate anything stated in the (very limited) letter of the law that I’ve found. What happens to others living in the household? Is everybody housebound? Am I fine if I open the door to pay an Uber Eats driver, and breaking the law if I step out of the door? Or is it if I get in the elevator?

There have got to be clear and detailed English-language guidelines for this somewhere (or at least I would hope so, chabuduo la), but I still haven’t found them.

Was talking to a coworker the other day and he said that he and another coworker had gone to CNY at a friend’s house whose parents had just returned from traveling in China. When my (western) coworker brought the quarantine up to his (western) boss, the boss said to come in and work and there was no way they had the virus.
It’s well past that now, and thankfully nobody is sick, but it put my coworker in a tough position - if he’s not sick, then it’s not worth it to argue with his boss and work from home for 2 weeks. But if he complies and is sick, and becomes the next outbreak for Taiwan, everyone involved looks real stupid.

Another, separate question - a friend got back from traveling and has the flu. According to company rules (maybe TW rules? I’m not sure) having a fever means he has to self-quarantine for 14 days. What if it’s just a normal flu and he gets better? The spirit of the law - self-quarantine, take care of yourself, interact with the minimum amount of people - makes sense, but in practice it’s very confusing and there are a lot of holes.

3 Likes

I think that’s the point. Without proper guidance and clear enforcement it’s going to be a cha-bu-shitshow

3 Likes

Funny, that’s the number reason I like it. :rofl:

Do you call the nonsense Trump gets away with civilized conduct?

I’ve seen a few threads online from both Taiwanese and foreigners who report they use UberEats and ‘only’ go out to nearby stores for groceries. Nobody says that they have been contacted.

1 Like

2 Likes

I’m thinking that unless you show up at an airport, nobody is going to notice.

1 Like

Tell me what stores.

We had a plane change in HK (back from LA) on 2/4, but my daughter wasnt feeling well and had a fever, so we had to stay in HK and see the airport doctor the next day to get a “fit to fly” certificate. Luckily her fever was down, so we could fly back on the 6th.

Had it been the 7th, I couldnt have returned with my family, as on 2/7 no foreigners who had been through mainland or HK could enter Taiwan.

We are on home quarantine and have food delivered. We have people visit but they stay outside the door to our garage, and we sit inside about 2 meters away.

YOU WILL GET FINED IF YOU VIOLATE QUARANTINE AND SOMEONE REPORTS YOU. There are videocams everywhere, not worth it! Uber Eats rules!

5 Likes