Coronavirus 2020 - Your experience in home quarantine

Thanks for the details @ReBorn - I don’t suppose the government or health authority or whoever’s responsible gave you a pamphlet or a list of rules to follow? Are people coming to check on you, as seems to be part of the policy based on the sheet I linked to above?

And congratulations on getting back just before the gates slammed shut!

1 Like

Do you have a first floor apartment with an enclosed patio or sunroom?

No, I live in an actual house in the countryside on a fairly large chunk of land. No neighbors nearby. Everything about my house is 100% legal and I have the paperwork to prove it.

Lucky man. I’m still a few years away from being able do the same in the remote eastern coast. It’s too far of a drive for the responsibilities I have now, but I’m looking forward to it.

Technically most of those patios/sunrooms are illegal because they extend outside the property line. However, the only way people could access them is by walking through your apartment. It would be petty to complain about them or have them torn down. Illegal shanties on the roof should be torn down IMO, but I would be opposed to tearing down some of shacks the extremely poor build on ground level. There needs to be some leeway in enforcement of many laws.

1 Like

Not my quote.

“well, carrefour , px Costco , welcome”

I can’t find the thread but somebody said they were tired of having every meal in their nearby convenience store because they were under quarantine.

There was recent news that a foreigner was quarantined in his hotel room for 14 days, but he left the room for a smoke in the hallway and was fined $10K. This was Taiwan News so it’s short on details.

There seems to be two things, home quarantine and home isolation. The second is more serious and a doctor comes to check on them twice a day as I understood it. I didn’t understand if it meant you were required to be alone at home or kept isolated in a room. With home quarantine, it was recommended to avoid your family members and everyone wear a mask. Presumably, everyone in the home is under quarantine if one person is. There’s also what looks like autonomous health maintenance where you can go out but are asked to do so as little as possible and wear a mask at all times.

That’s part of what’s really unclear for me - based solely on the sheet I linked to above, which remains the only English-language guidelines I’ve seen, I think it’s unfair to have that guy fined (here’s the Taiwan News story). He remained in the designated place of quarantine - the hotel. Now, maybe there were other clearer guidelines - “Don’t leave your hotel room!” - but I don’t know if those existed (if they did exist, of course the punishment is appropriate). The Taiwan News article says this was “a clear violation of the quarantine”, but, well, I’m not sure I believe that. (Is it a violation of the principle of the quarantine, absolutely, but I don’t know if it was a violation of the rules he’d been told, and that’s how the punishment should be determined.)

And I don’t like the way that sheet is written. It’s got “Remain in home or designated place of quarantine / Prohibited from taking public transportation / Prohibited from leaving the country” - which to me implies that “Going on the MRT is really bad, but leaving your home is just kind of bad.” The sheet also says that you should have health checks (daily if under home quarantine, twice daily if under home isolation): but with that listed on the sheet, if no one shows up, that could easily be seen as an indication that “Oh, never mind, you’re not under quarantine.” Like if you get a speeding ticket, but then no fine ever shows up in the mail, you may figure “Huh, guess I’m in the clear.”

I don’t know, and I’m curious about this too. New South Wales (Australia) has clearer guidelines for what seems to be similar policies, and for them, no, others in the household are NOT under isolation, but are suggested to try their best to stay clear of the people who are in isolation. Quoted with some emphasis added below.

Separate yourselves from other people in your home

If you are sharing the home with others, as much as possible, you should stay in a different room from other people or be separated as much as possible. …

Advice for others in the household

Other members of the household are not required to be isolated unless they have also:

• travelled to Hubei Province
  • been in or transited through mainland China (excluding Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan) on or after 1 February
  • been a close contact of a confirmed case.
1 Like

I generally won’t link to Taiwan News because they are a poor news source, and maybe finally getting called on it outside this forum:

Also, $10,000NT isn’t that serious, but it’s an expensive smoke break. He can’t smoke in his room, he can’t go out, he’s just out of luck.

You don’t need to open the door to pay the Uber Eats driver, payment is handled by the app. You could simply post a note on the door telling the Uber Eats dude to leave the food at the door

1 Like

Don’t you need a local credit card for that? I’d go broke on Uber Eats. I think we have 14 days worth of food here anyway, half of it expired.

Not everybody has a credit card.

2 Likes

I’ve used my U.S.A. cards on both FoodPanda and UberEats without any issues (1.5% back!) – it really is slick

1 Like

yes it is worth it. tell the boss to do one.

I didn’t read them article, but the designated place could be his hotel room.

Thats true of most things, including many legal things

Aircraft.
Cars.
London tower blocks with aluminium cladding…(Oh wait)

Underwear.

Sounds like western logic. Luckily you dont live in China, you can get arrested for that kind of blasphemy.

Not only no credit cards, many areas have no food delivery. Fine in the city but not in the countryside. If we had to be quarantined where we live we would have 2 options. Break quarantine or starve. Taiwan has a large area like this, albiet a relatively low concentration of people.

2 Likes

Carrefour delivers.

Has anyone gotten THE CALL yet?

If you know someone who is breaking quarantine, please report them by calling the police (119), NOW.

This isn’t something to joke around about. It only takes ONE infected person running around accidentally infecting people to shut down a city the size of Taipei. With the interconnectedness of this island, we’ll look like Wuhan real soon.

Yeah, reporting your friends/family might feel like you’re selling them out to Nazis or something but this is a public health crisis, not a political crackdown.

If they hate you because they get fined, that’s their problem. Do YOU want to be responsible for knowingly letting someone run around, only to find out they have coronavirus and the cases escalated exponentially because of that?

If a boss is asking someone who’s quarantined to come in, report the boss. If you get fired over it, call the press. File a lawsuit. Just make sure you have your documentation.

2 Likes