Coronavirus - America

"As others have pointed out, the correct way to look at this 6% figure is not that only 6% of reported COVID deaths were actually form COVID. Rather, it means that of all the people who died from COVID, 6% did not have any other reported conditions. In other words, these data show that some people are more vulnerable to COVID than others due to existing health conditions (which we already knew) and COVID often results in secondary problems which contribute to patients’ demise (again, which we already knew).

Actually more like the 1918 flu but hopefully not.

The second wave was more deadly in that case, then the virus gradually disappeared.

@Icon is changing tone. :flushed:
The narrative is losing steam. (I tease…)

And, the chances of a healthy person dying are…

The influenza/pneumonia and respiratory failure being caused by COVID and thus becoming a comorbidity I’ll agree with. Remove 100,000 or so from the figures for that at a push. Although a lot of the dead would have had something else and may have had influenza/pneumonia before COVID.

People detached from reality?

and that too!

Stop going on about not enough food to go around. We have more than enough food to go around and we can make more if we stop letting politics get in the way of progress. We should be post scarcity with food given that technology allows us to get more food out of an acre of land than anytime in the past, we can farm in places that previously couldn’t be farmed in (for example, roof of a building). We can produce enough food for 10x the current world population if we want to.

It’s politics that kills, that leads to starving kids in Africa, etc.

1 Like

did you lose your sarcasm barometer today?

COVID-19 virus is a nasty bug. Attacking almost everything in your body. Not only respiratory.

I lost track, apologies.

I always thought the Ghost month is just superstition… Guess I was wrong.

2 Likes

I’m glad the journalists didn’t back down from asking her about it.

Trump against masks in another rambling speech.

He also mocked the Democratic nominee for wearing a mask during campaign events and observing social distancing measures.

“Have you ever seen a man who likes a mask as much as him?” Trump said. “It gives him a feeling of security. If I were a psychiatrist, I’d say this guy has got some big issues.”

Would like to know what Taiwanese think of this.

Trump needs some counseling.

1 Like

Democracy could be doomed.

2 Likes

Center for Disease Control Director Robert Redfield said in a Buck Institute webinar that suicides and drug overdoses have surpassed the death rate for COVID-19 among high school students. Redfield argued that lockdowns and lack of public schooling constituted a disproportionally negative impact on young peoples’ mental health.

“But there has been another cost that we’ve seen, particularly in high schools,” Redfield said. “We’re seeing, sadly, far greater suicides now than we are deaths from COVID. We’re seeing far greater deaths from drug overdose that are above excess that we had as background than we are seeing the deaths from COVID. So this is why I keep coming back for the overall social being of individuals, is let’s all work together and find out how we can find common ground to get these schools open in a way that people are comfortable and their safe.”

Quote from late-July. It’s going to be an awful lose-lose situation for these teenagers for the next couple months as off-campus schooling kicks off following Labor Day.

If I had heard this a year ago, out of context, I would have laughed mercilessly.

This guy is supposed to be an expert and doesn’t seem to acknowledge the actual problem, which is kids spreading it to older, more vulnerable people in their family?

Whatever Redfield knows or not, he’s obviously a political sellout for Trump with idiotic comments like this.

suicide or COVID-19, young or old? pick your card, @mups