Coronavirus - America

That seems kind of obvious though, don’t you think? If anything good comes from this is that a regulatory overhaul of red tape needs to be done.

It was a surprise to me. I thought the problem was a lack of leadership at the top but the problem goes deeper than that. It’s like the vp debate when Kamala Harris rightly criticized the Trump administration for bungling the pandemic response. When asked what a Biden/Harris administration would have done differently she had no clue.

1 Like

Well, despite the “plans for everything” which is an Academic Left head fake, their plans don’t work bc they are predicated on starting fresh. Unless they just ram something like the ACA through and look what happened to that in the very next administration.

I don’t see this happening in practice. Perhaps with Trump since many of the appointees did not have the relevant experience for their post, i.e. Devos, Carson but not traditionally.

It’s been happening since the 1960s.

Political appointees between both parties yes. Career appointments not as much. Trump is an exception. There has been much more continuity between previous administrations.

And yet urbanites are peacefully burning down shit bc of endemic systemic racism.

Is this a deep state thing? Continuity is a good thing like the pandemic team. As you said yourself plans don’t work when you start fresh.

No. This is:

which you seem to have said was due to the

The Trump Administration’s break in continuity didn’t cause the “systemic racism” of the past 50 years, since the LBJ administration’s #BIGPLANZ. It interrupted it.

I thought this was a covid thread. I don’t think you can blame every systemic problem on continuity between administrations. Post WWII until now has been the greatest time of prosperity for the United States. Bipartisanship is behind some of those greatest achievements. And its cousin, continuity should be aspired to when it benefits the country. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Let’s not blame everything under the sun on the deep state. Public service should be admired, and it is civil servants who have helped to breakdown the barriers of systemic racism.

Then stay on topic.

You also brought this up.

It’s like you think you’re writing posts and throwing them into a stream to dissolve.

Certainly a general lack of awareness that this was coming down the line, fast. Now also remember that masks were for those funny Asian people at the time. Even the WHO was saying ’ don’t wear masks '.

1 Like

I am. The pandemic team is a prime example of where continuity would have been beneficial. So relating it back to your point.

I assumed that’s what you were insinuating when you said things like…

As if to say continuity between administrations is the cause of systemic racism. In other words, it’s the career civil servants who are responsible for systemic racism.

If I got that wrong, then feel free to clarify.

I am arguing that it is not so simple. Since bipartisanship thru things like the civil rights act and continuity through both dem and repub administrations has helped to break down the barriers of systemic racism over time. Govt is responsible for both breaking down and building barriers. The point is continue on with what works, like say a pandemic team.

That I followed you down this road doesn’t put the onus on me. I was talking to QSS:
about pandemic red tape.

You posted that.

So, on that note…our time is up.

Have a nice day.

And this…

“The effort to portray Obama as dangerously leftist just doesn’t have any traction,” said Stephen Cimbala, a political science professor at Pennsylvania State University. “I think if they want to pick up seats in 2010 and get back up off the floor where Bush left them, they’re going to have to find a way to go beyond the very narrow core Republican base and reach out to moderates. The case they have to make against Obama is a case about competency and performance. Not about ideology.”

Republicans are going all out on the warpath, especially on health care overhaul and budget issues.

1 Like

Didn’t the US turn the corner?

2 Likes

Yes, but very unfortunately Covid was waiting around that corner.

3 Likes

The complications from getting this virus continue for those that have “recovered”

3 Likes

Worth repeating that Trump is fighting in court to repeal the affordable care act and has yet to provide any plan for replacement, after saying he would have one ‘soon’ several times.

Best public service would be to educate people who don’t know that Obamacare and ACA are the same thing, and not having it or a replacement would yank millions off of healthcare, including those with pre-existing conditions.

It’s one of those things that Republicans aren’t so ‘right’ about when they become educated, and the issues are broken down. Even Republicans lean farther left than how they vote when you dissect things, I’ve posted studies before about this. US on the whole leans way farther left than its representatives indicate, starting with supporting forms of universal healthcare.

2 Likes

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced last week that the United States had passed a grim milestone: over 200,000 Americans have now died from COVID-19. But research from Boston University School of Public Health finds that the true number of losses could be much higher.

That analysis, available on medRxiv ahead of peer-reviewed publication, took a close look at the number of US deaths between February and September 2020 that are characterized as in excess of the number of deaths that would be expected in a normal year. Researchers discovered that for every 100 excess deaths directly attributed to COVID-19, there were another 36 excess deaths—also likely caused by COVID-19, but in a less obvious manner.

Looking at where the most excess deaths occured is a better measure of the pandemic’s disproportionate effect on communities than simply tallying up the total number of COVID-19–related deaths, according to study lead author Andrew Stokes, a BU School of Public Health assistant professor of global health. “Excess deaths include COVID deaths that were ascribed to other causes, as well as the indirect consequences of the pandemic on society,” he says.

Indirect consequences could include people being afraid to go to the hospital for another condition for fear of catching the coronavirus or a number of other issues caused or exacerbated by COVID-19’s economic and mental health impacts, such as loss of health insurance after layoffs, inability to afford medications after pay cuts, or the skyrocketing rates of depression in America’s adults, a condition that negatively impacts many aspects of health.

For their analysis, Stokes and his collaborators looked at county-level mortality data from the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) for 1,021 counties with 10 or more COVID-19 deaths from February 1 to September 23. Although previous studies have estimated excess deaths at the national and state levels, this is the first study to examine the question at the county level, allowing researchers to better examine how patterns of excess deaths vary by demographic and sociostructural factors.