Coronavirus - China

Tape in parks leads to tape in buses?

1 Like

This is horrific.

We all know that the authorities in Beijing boxed the people of China proper into a corner by deciding not to approve or import mRNA vaccines.

This report from the Straits Times provides stats that can help to explain how this vaccine nationalism has led to further trouble in China, including the current massive lockdown in Shanghai.

Guy

3 Likes

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

China is doing what they’re doing because China. They almost certainly have some purpose behind (apparently) shooting themselves in the foot. It could well be the case that sinovac causes even worse problems than Pfizer et al, but the idea that all this sturm und drang might have something to do with that is beyond ludicrous.

3 Likes

It’s not just about the vaccines, that is a narrative that you have made up yourself. The vaccines are a small component

It’s much more of a face issue.

. . . that admitting the Sino[fill-in-the-blank] vaccines are not working—hence losing face.

And no, I am not claiming to be a Beijing insider. My point here has been made by others including Ian Bremmer as he anticipated (well before the Shanghai debacle) that China would need to stay boxed in because the leadership knows the vaccines don’t work.

Guy

Well Ian Bremner doesn’t understand what’s happening and he isn’t following.

The main issue is the plenary meeting and that China has spent the last two years saying that their method is better than the West and the US is in freefall.

The CCP never admit they are wrong and Xi will let change policy before his election I’m November. The vaccines are a small part of this

China’s economy (and global supply chains) will be a mess in 2022 due to these decisions.

Makes you think that perhaps China could use better leadership doesn’t it.

Guy

What?

Everyone knows that, but what are you going to do (

-1000 social credit points for her

1 Like

What the hell??? Is this actually real? I knew things were bad but this is really bad. Imagine the toilet situation :frowning:

1 Like

That’s China’s goal - they are holding the supply chain hostage under the guise of “covid containment” while simultaneously riling up the public, purposely angering them - and creating an atmosphere of intense hatred toward the US and the West. It doesn’t matter how brutal the CCP treats people and their animals because they will just blame it all on the US.

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1514647426375815168?s=21&t=o2Li2t9Iqg78EtBeX3BCfQ

https://twitter.com/laowhy86/status/1514645270843191296?s=21&t=nDYD1vFtBbFwZqaEKEMt2w

3 Likes

It’s a total authoritarian dystopia over there. I can’t even imagine living in a society like that. Glad I visited China ages ago because I won’t be going anywhere near it for the foreseeable future.

5 Likes

There isnt a goal, this is complete madness. The goal is that the leader can’t lose face before November

5 Likes

I had wanted to go before Xi was president many years ago but never got around to it as it was mafan to get a visa from Taiwan so I didn’t bother. Have zero interest in ever going there now. It’s too bad what happened to China and HK.

Just a couple more weeks of that and they’ll flatten that curve.

Even a flight transit stop there would be a roll of the dice.

2 Likes

If anyone wants to understand what is happening, just look at history. The CCP never admits they are making a mistake. Thats why the cultural revolution went on so long, and the great leap forward. The Single Child Policy, for a decade people were warning of the demographics problems, but still they wouldnt change. This is in the their DNA.

So they will keep this way until November

6 Likes

Forcibly evicting renters to create more quarantine facilities in Shanghai. WTF!

Guy

1 Like

Seems that even the Rich are suffering in Shanghai.

2 Likes