Coronavirus - China

It is unfortunate. I traveled around China for a few months in 2005. It’s a beautiful countryside but the cities are completely smog infested. I especially enjoyed my time in the southern part near Guilin due to the landscape, it was beautiful to see sunrise from a small boat on the Li River. Hong Kong was really fun too and so international at that time. It’s a shame what happens to places under this type of authoritarian rule and it seems like they are more unhinged than ever at this point.

2 Likes

Do we really think things will abruptly change in November? They seem a bit too far gone to me.

1 Like

HK has shown that there’s never (within reason) going to be a successful uprising in China against the govt. Look how much support it had. Most Chinese actually are fine with the CCP. Any change in China will have to come from the top down, me thinks

Media wants to latch on to a story of unrest in China but it’s only dreaming

6 Likes

Hong Kong is a former colonial entrepot taken over by a huge continent size nation. If the latter wants to smash things (as clearly they do) it’s really hard to stop them.

Guy

It doesn’t matter, that’s when the plenary meeting is

I think it’s really hard but the next ten years are going to see economic decline

Lot of ships waiting around Shanghai, which is much much bigger than the amounts waiting around Long Beach last year in the U.S.

5 Likes

Amazing

1 Like

What the hell are they wearing on their faces…?

Masks. It’s a musical about COVID n cultural Revolution style. The one guy won’t wear masks and he is a traitor to the village

Tung said the brutality with which local-level governments have imposed one-size-fits-all measures is intentional and may suggest they may be trying to trigger discontent among the populace. Since Xi himself gave the order for this approach, the blame for this policy failure will be directed toward him.

The pandemic in China must be looked at through a political lens, not a scientific one, he added. Since Xi utilized the pandemic for political ends, his opponents will do the same to counter him, he concluded.

1 Like

Sounds like a cutting-off-nose-to-spite-face situation.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Funny Pictures etc. (political too) 2022 edition

He’s right in that it’s a political one.

Xi wants the lockdowns to be brutal.

The mistake in the analysis however will be how much of that hatred will be directed at Xi, and how much of it will be directed at the US. The propaganda has been consistently spreading fake news that the virus came from the US - and that the US is to blame. Xi wants to take advantage of this moment to rile up the public — if this were about him maintaining power in November, he would not be so brutal at this moment.

And that’s all just secondary to the main goal of China trying to win the trade war through Trade Denial and Trade Supremacy - strategically flip flopping its way to gain the upper hand.

1 Like

I dont think it will threaten anything tbh.

A list of the 155+ people who have died in Shanghai since the end of March from the lockdowns

1 Like

“Erroneous thoughts.” They speak like AI Bots that have been fed scripts of how normal people talk. What a shithole country.

2 Likes

I agree. Not Xi and not the party. But there is real anger at both, I believe. And this opinion of the local governments playing games to screw over Xi is interesting if true.

I dunno. Reminds me of the wishful thinking we had when we thought Russians would overthrow Putin after he invaded Ukraine. A couple months later and he’s more popular than ever. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

That’s awful. Whatever Xi is up to, I reckon he’s made one hell of a miscalculation here. There was a video floating around last week in which the public were giving the goons in white suits a well-deserved kicking. I doubt there’s going to be revolution, but it’s going to cause simmering resentment that’ll boil up somewhere or other.

Shanghai is the wealthiest, most educated, most global and most open minded place in China.

A lot of Chinese don’t like or identify with Shanghai. Shanghainese are pissed off, but in the scheme of things it doesn’t mean shit.

But I think the system is cracking in terms of decision making. The economy had peaked and the party has lost the ability to correct itself. There will be more mistakes and disquiet in next decade.

The brainwashing is pretty thorough in China. Shanghainese are not representative of the average middle age bozo in third and fourth tier cities in China.

3 Likes