Coronavirus - China

So, if the Shanghai lockdown was to go after Jiang Zemin’s faction, is the Chengdu lockdown going after FDI, and more specifically the high-tech FDI of Taiwan and foreign countries?
Chengdu also one of the oldest cities in China (3000+ years).
Is Xi (from Beijing) trying to control the hinterlands?

Meanwhile in Tibet . . .

Guy

3 Likes

You planning a vacation to visit Shanghai Disneyland? Yeah neither am I.

Guy

4 Likes

It’s the happiest place on earth

It looks more like hell on earth to me. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

It’s now long past the CCP Party Congress and Zero-Covid is still going strong.

To those who said it would be lifted right after Party Congress, it’s has not happened. Also China has not run out of food yet.

Which leads me to think “C” is still the most likely since it has always been about Trade & Tariffs from day 1.

Could be. I suspect it has something to do with shoring up economic influence abroad, at any rate. The lockdowns are having a noticeable impact on supply in the West - people are no longer able to expect a containerload of cheap tat to just arrive at the docks, which means they’re starting to realise exactly how dependent they are upon China for stuff they like. That’s going to weaken their bargaining stance, both at the commercial and political levels. China knows that the obvious solution - reboot local manufacturing and the attendant skills - is an unpalatable solution for Western politicians, and would take years to bear fruit.

2 Likes

Again they reference “dramatic footage” without actually posting any.

Edit:
Found this

Good for them

1 Like
1 Like

Civil protest? This is what the government has been training for these past two years.

3 Likes

While China is in zero-covid mode, the world is watching the huge crowds of maskless players and spectators at the World Cup. Chinese under strict measures are looking at the event asking “is Qatar on a different planet?”

2 Likes

Taiwanese are looking at it saying” so dangerous, give me another mask”

5 Likes

Ignore the title – watch for the variety of crazy shit going on over there

1 Like

lol’ed @ this dude from Beijing saying their system puts people first

Something’s happening here.

https://twitter.com/ChinaUncensored/status/1596115211379150848

Guy

2 Likes

Wait till Chinese New Year is cancelled for the 3rd year in a row in China.

2 Likes

Hopefully protests spread. Maybe the crowds at the World Cup have woken a few up.

2 Likes

Yanzhong Huang, a senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations, said the re-tightening of Covid controls reflected a typical public policy dilemma in China: “If you relax the policy, there will be chaos; but if you tighten up, it will be stifling.”

Huang said he does not expect any fundamental changes to the zero-Covid policy in the short term. “Because the local governments’ incentive structure has not been changed. They are still held accountable for the Covid situation in their jurisdiction,” he said.

4 Likes

Guy rants, gets arrested, people un-arrest him

2 Likes

Surprised nobody talking about what happened in Xinjiang. WeChat exploding and everyone angry. This is really big. So fucking sad

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClZBL_wPv0V/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Apartment building had a fire. Because of lockdowns the door was locked and local government wouldn’t open. 10 people burned

Protests on streets of Urumqi

5 Likes