Coronavirus crisis open thread - March

I hereby endeavor to protect my hindquarters with the following: I am not licensed to practice law in Taiwan, and nothing that is written below is meant to be understood, interpreted, or taken as legal advice.

Short answer to your questions (and I’m not trying to be a smart-aleck in saying this): I don’t know.

I have an open work permit now, but tonight I looked through my old year-to-year work permits (at least the ones I managed to avoid losing). Now, for all I know, my old work permits may be outdated in terms of format, and are certainly outdated as to authority (that is, they all say “Council of Labor Affairs,” and that outfit has been replaced by the Ministry of Labor), but anyway, these work permits have my employer’s address on them. Still, I’m not sure one way or the other whether working at another location by order of my employer or with my employer’s permission would have put me in violation of some rule or other.

Below are English translations (I don’t know Chinese, but the Chinese version is available on the website where I got these English versions) of some of the “scary” laws and rules that I have heard about, read about, or stumbled upon in days of yore, and to me they are indeed scary, but my main point in quoting them is that I don’t see anything about addresses in them.

Now, law is big, and maybe I have just been imagining things all this time, but it seems to me that law is kind of skimpy about telling people what they are allowed to do and in informing them of what they won’t get in trouble for doing. Maybe I’m wrong about that, and of course there are exceptions (there are even a couple of those exceptions below), but that’s how it seems to me. In other words, if there isn’t a law, rule, or ruling that specifically says that you are allowed to work at home in certain exceptional circumstances, why, I don’t think that’s unusual.

Still, I’m not sure about it, and for all I know, there may be administrative rules or rulings that I have no knowledge of, and you’re right to want more certainty.

Hopefully @yyy or @tando or someone similar will show up and add light to the subject.

But anyway, on to the mostly scary rules:

Employment Services Act, Article 43

(Chinese version here.)

Ibid., Article 68

(Chinese version here.)

National Immigration Act, Article 24

(Chinese version here.)

National Immigration Act, Article 29

(Chinese version here.)

Ibid., Article 36

(Chinese version here.)

Enforcement Rules of the Immigration Act, Article 19