Coronavirus crisis open thread - March

I’m going to take a look at flights and a way out. No direct flight to Taiwan. Maybe Istanbul first?

1 Like

Fascinating

8 Likes

Bunch of marathons and half-marathons getting delayed from March or April all the way to November. If any of you are or people you know are participating in one in the next few months be sure to check the race website to see if your race is delayed or not.

Neither me or nor my friend got an e-mail about the delay so best to check the race website to stay up to date

3 Likes

2 million infected and 200 deaths - sounds good to me.

Thank God it works on Covid-19. Can you imagine if it didn’t?

2 Likes

Doesn’t work with foot-n-mouth disease, eh? @Dr_Milker needs to be extra careful.

1 Like

I want to take advantage of cheap flights and have a holiday but I’m wary of travel restrictions. If you have an ARC, can you still return without issue, providing you don’t go to a country that’s full of coronavirus?

Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’, study says

3 Likes

Yep but still leagues ahead of where it was 5 or 10 years ago. Media build things up to be catastrophic by looking at everything in a microcosm.

Ummm no. 7% of total value has been shed. This is a catastrophe any way you slice it. Recessions aren’t fun. Don’t minimize it.

2 Likes

Problem is media saying there is a crash and people start panic selling stocks, leading to further crash. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

1 Like

4.5% now only 30 minutes later … nothing has been lost (for the individual investor) unless people have sold at those prices. I don’t think people are trying to minimize it, but perhaps retain some rationality.

4 Likes

While the inflection point might occur naturally, however people can move the inflection point forward if we are being smart about preventing the spread of the virus.

5 Likes

I hereby endeavor to protect my hindquarters with the following: I am not licensed to practice law in Taiwan, and nothing that is written below is meant to be understood, interpreted, or taken as legal advice.

Short answer to your questions (and I’m not trying to be a smart-aleck in saying this): I don’t know.

I have an open work permit now, but tonight I looked through my old year-to-year work permits (at least the ones I managed to avoid losing). Now, for all I know, my old work permits may be outdated in terms of format, and are certainly outdated as to authority (that is, they all say “Council of Labor Affairs,” and that outfit has been replaced by the Ministry of Labor), but anyway, these work permits have my employer’s address on them. Still, I’m not sure one way or the other whether working at another location by order of my employer or with my employer’s permission would have put me in violation of some rule or other.

Below are English translations (I don’t know Chinese, but the Chinese version is available on the website where I got these English versions) of some of the “scary” laws and rules that I have heard about, read about, or stumbled upon in days of yore, and to me they are indeed scary, but my main point in quoting them is that I don’t see anything about addresses in them.

Now, law is big, and maybe I have just been imagining things all this time, but it seems to me that law is kind of skimpy about telling people what they are allowed to do and in informing them of what they won’t get in trouble for doing. Maybe I’m wrong about that, and of course there are exceptions (there are even a couple of those exceptions below), but that’s how it seems to me. In other words, if there isn’t a law, rule, or ruling that specifically says that you are allowed to work at home in certain exceptional circumstances, why, I don’t think that’s unusual.

Still, I’m not sure about it, and for all I know, there may be administrative rules or rulings that I have no knowledge of, and you’re right to want more certainty.

Hopefully @yyy or @tando or someone similar will show up and add light to the subject.

But anyway, on to the mostly scary rules:

Employment Services Act, Article 43

(Chinese version here.)

Ibid., Article 68

(Chinese version here.)

National Immigration Act, Article 24

(Chinese version here.)

National Immigration Act, Article 29

(Chinese version here.)

Ibid., Article 36

(Chinese version here.)

Enforcement Rules of the Immigration Act, Article 19

(Chinese version here.)

3 Likes

7% down - right back where the stockmarket was 10 months ago, but still 50% higher than 4 years ago. I will minimise it, because the media insist on throwing out so much hysteria and hyperbole about it.

Thank you for the detailed response! Do you know which official institution could provide a final answer to this?I want to ask but don’t know who to ask. thanks!

You’re welcome!

I guess the Ministry of Labor would be one place where you could ask. They have an e-mail page (one in which you fill in the e-mail on the page) here:

Here’s the Ministry of Labor’s address, telephone number, and public transportation information:

The Workforce Development Agency has a Contact page:

https://opinion.wda.gov.tw/

It’s in Chinese, it looks a little complicated, and I’m not even sure of its exact purpose, but it’s there.

Their English page has their address, phone number, and service hours at the bottom of the page:

https://www.wda.gov.tw/en/

Of course there may be other avenues.

Hope this helps, or at least does no harm.

2 Likes

People in my circles are now praising South Korea now that they’ve got this under control.
Boy, Taiwan really is invisible.

6 Likes

go up and see that Mets game on Taiwan Day and get that free baseball uniform with Taiwan and Mets logo. Then wear it every day at work.