Coronavirus Crisis Open Thread - April

In the voice of Chandler, “Could China BE more guilty?”
Isn’t it 1000% obvious to everyone that the CCP released the virus on purpose as retaliation for the Trade War?

The rich of the planet have the financial and economic means to expose themselves to whatever globally with mobility and freedom.

It would kind of be punching yourself in the face first.

Or even global dominance of economics and expansionism! The CCP in their opinion is on course to planetary domination with all sorts of tricks and toys. In order to ascend globally economies of other nations must sink or tank.

1 Like

No. Not at all. It’s easier to believe that some intern walked out of the lab with C-19 on his or her shoe and scraped it off at the wet market whilst admiring the spicy pangolin testicles .

6 Likes

I did that all day yesterday. Not as much fun as you’d think.

1 Like

For those who are over 70/80yo it doesn’t matter much as they most probably have all sorts of terminal etc illnesses so dying in the time of covid19 may just well be their fate or karma.

Not necessarily, I recently read up on parts of the African slave trade to help my students with their global history class. Africans, due to the gd heat and whatnot had a higher genetic immunity towards malaria and other nasty viruses. All the original Jamestown settlers vanished probably due to witches and new kinds of the flu they had little resistance to. Not so much of a problem with the folks from central Africa who rolled in during the 18th century (I mean they were still right f8cked re witches, but mosquitoes had nothing on them.)

Five million migrated out of Wuhan before the lockdown in January. Wherever these people flocked they most certainly relentlessly spread covid19 to most provinces of the PRC if not to many countries globally.

1 Like

Commit to the punch.

3 Likes

Just once a century pandemic but good preparation for WW3!

OF COURSE China needs to “punch themselves” at the start.
Think about this through the lens of Trade War.

CCP was able to shut down the World Factory for 2 months to show how important they are to the US and the World - and have a “legitimate” reason to do so.

Its like an embargo, similar to when US shut off oil to the Japanese in WWII. But with the virus, they can “embargo” without needing to look like they did it on purpose - they can make it look like it was in fact “absolutely necessary”.

You are the one to reply to me. What was your point?

I understand it’s the same gene that can lead to sickle-cell anemia. Protection, but at a cost.

I thought it was hunger mostly. If there was any flu, they introduced it to the Americas, like almost all viruses. Various influenzas wiped out loads of native Americans, it’s believed. I’ve heard that syphilis is the only disease that went the other way.

Many know that the CCP and their propaganda are deceptive and deceitful.

I wish I could recall what I was reading, maybe Homo Sapiens, but there were many flu bugs and disease spreading bug bugs in the deep south that the whiter shades of conquers couldn’t deal with. Remember the first “slaves” in the New World were of the dirty white boy variety. Did not fare so well.

OK, look. Let’s stop that stuff. China is responsible for about 20% of the World’s Manufacturing.

Country Manufacturing Output (USD in billions) Percent of National Output Percent of Global Manufacturing
China $2,010 27% 20%

It’s a lot, but if people keep making a big deal out of it then…well nothing…the numbers won’t change. 20% is 20%

1 Like

When do you mean? I’m pretty sure about the science of what I said above. Europeans and Africans introduced all known viruses to the Americas. Later once viruses were established here, all bets were off. But you said Jamestown.

The Spanish who made the first foray into the Mississippi area got wiped out, but probably by virtue of numbers. They are also believed to have introduced viruses that killed many natives.

I’m not denying that the Europeans brought viruses with them. But there were viruses on this side too. Why would the Europeans have had any immunity to them?

I have a meeting at 8AM. I will try to find the reference material.

1 Like

There weren’t, that’s the thing. Native Americans never practiced the kind of animal husbandry that led to them. And there was relatively little interflow between people from different regions, unlike Eurasia.

Regardless though, I’m sure the Jamestown settlers brought enough things that could make them sick, especially in their exposed and poorly-provisioned state.

2 Likes