Coronavirus crisis open thread - March

So yesterday saw some minor improvements with less deaths. But the last 24 hours was the worst. It looks like I’m stuck here for a while. :disappointed_relieved:

475 deaths.

https://www.thelocal.it/20200318/italy-reports-475-new-coronavirus-deaths-the-highest-one-day-toll-of-any-nation

3 Likes

Sometimes, you just need to cut the BS like trump. China honestly needed to face someone like Trump who isn’t going to keep it PC with the shit they’re trying to pull.

12 Likes

China Virus, Chinese Virus, ChiComm Virus, Wuhan Virus, Kung Flu. I don’t give a fuq. It still comes from that place

11 Likes

he doesn’t cut the bs, he is the bs. i’m glad he’s standing up to china but he’s still a turd who has no idea what comes out of his mouth. i’d just wish other leaders with just a few more brain cells would stand up against china. but that unfortunately just wishful thinking :sleepy:

4 Likes

he mocked this virus over and over again. saying it was nothing to worry about and in the us everything was under control, not true. he said there were enough tests for everyone, not true.

then in the last few days when sh#t got out of control, he now uses the term “chinese virus” to blame someone else rather than his own failing. the virus clearly comes from china but that’s not the point right now. right now it’s about saving lives rather than finger pointing.

11 Likes

There were situations when he was right? Wow! I am impressed since most of us are always wrong.

He’s using it because China has been trying to deflect their blame in the current situation with how they handled it.

And it’s not an either or situation.

His administration has ordered ventilators and other equipment and the federal gov has a large stock pile. He’s also going over loosening regulations to make domestic production of medical equipment faster. He’s also been very proactive in travel restrictions which he got a lot of heat for.

But of course, at the end it’s just orange man bad.

5 Likes

He told people that its just a cold. That most people will not get sick at all.
He told them that he had a hunch that the numbers are far off.
Instead of telling the truth and building trust and control.
He should have told everyone three Month ago to store some food for a certain time.

Now, nobody trusts him and this government anymore and Americans are lining up at the gun stores. Now, they are buying all the toilet paper because they are shitting themselves.

9 Likes

You’re acting like this had a handbook on how to handle. US was months behind like everyone else because of China. The way people speak, it’s like Trump has done nothing. It’s simply not true. American’s are always out buying guns, and toilet paper run happened to every single country.

2 Likes

Are you in Taiwan right now!

Why does it matter.

USA 8,020 +1,609 125 +16 106 7,789 12 24
Taiwan 100 +23 1 20 79 4
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
That’s why!

If you’re saying Taiwan had one of the best responses, sure.

What is clearly evident and called out by many posters in this thread is. Trump is always bad and it’s his fault is becoming a common theme. I have no probelms with disagreeing with Trump, I for one did not agree with him down playing the virus. That was Wrong.

But people are acting like he did nothing. Even posting articles that falsly represented him as saying “go it it yourself” to governors for ventilators like he wasn’t doing anything. That was completely false.

• Trump has freed up to 50 billion for state and local governements to respond to the outbreak.

• Trump said he was also giving Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar emergency authorities to waive federal regulations and laws to give doctors and hospitals “flexibility” in treating patients.

• Travel ban to China was absolutely the right call. Followed by travel ban from the EU and he extended it to the UK as it got worse there.

• Ordered a medical equiptment such as ventilators and supported state efferots to secure their own for local efforts for a more speedy reaction.

• The administration of US President Donald Trump is awarding $1.3m to two companies trying to develop rapid COVID-19 tests that could detect whether a person is positive for the new coronavirus within an hour,

• Began talks with companies like Walmart to set up testing centers

• Trump orders HUD to suspend evictions and foreclosures. … The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) also announced Wednesday that it would suspend foreclosures and evictions for homeowners with mortgages

• Suspended federal student loans

• In the works for massive stimulus package to help Americans

• Looking into loosening regulations to make domestic production of medical equipment faster.

I’m sure i’ve missed some. But it’s like all of this didn’t happen to some people. And he is just a turd.

7 Likes

And lets be honest, as much as Taiwan did a pretty good job. Taiwan also has the benefit of being a small country with a small population. Most of the population are concentrated in a few areas that need support. There are very few ports of entry. It’s not one of the most visited places from travelers. And people have been prepared since SARS and citizens were ahead of the curb on how to react. More ahead than the government. IMO, it was the citizens that were winners, not the government. Everyone was prepared and reacted as well as could be barring the runs on toilet paper and stuff.

Europe has struggled with so many travelers into the EU open border and schengen region. Their citizens were slow to react and did not take it seriously, waited for the government to instruct them and still disregarded it.

US will have the same issue, so I hope Trump or states starts limiting interstate travel as well. There are 50 states with some not even on the mainland, it’s imo, up to the states to be really proactive in their own responses for this to be contained. Not just on the federal gov.

5 Likes

Remember that Trump also made massive cuts to the CDC emergency response team in 2018 because he didn’t think it was worth “wasting” the tax money on. You never think diseases are going to be a problem until they’re a problem. How much was spent on the military in 2018?

Deregulating the production of medical equipment can have its own consequences—N95 masks that haven’t been manufactured up to the necessary standards and don’t filter out 95% of airborne particles are not N95. Hazmat suits with holes in the seams would also be a problem. Ramping up production is good, deregulating something like medical equipment can turn out to be very bad. Just look at how Boeing turned out when they went rogue.

2 Likes

Peigan knows the exact date when he started digging into the coronavirus — it was January 7, 2020, the same day that the mystery illness that was spreading in Wuhan, China, got a name…That week, Peigan sent an email about regional preparations for when the illness arrived. At the time, he was told by the tribal council that covers his region that COVID-19 was low risk in Canada. "My comment was that, ‘That doesn’t matter. The way that this seems is that we’re going to be impacted anyway and that we should be getting ready.’…

Oregon sent a letter to Vice President Mike Pence on March 3 asking for 400,000 N95 masks. For days, it got no response, and only by March 14 received its first shipment, of 36,800 masks. But there was a problem. Most of the equipment they got was well past the expiration date and so “wouldn’t be suitable for surgical settings,” the state said. New York City also put in a request for more than 2 million masks and only received 76,000; all were expired, said Deanne Criswell, New York City’s emergency management commissioner.

4 Likes

Yes, it certainly has a trade off. I’m not saying it’s perfect. But loosening some regulations might help while keeping important ones in place. It hasn’t been approved and rightly so as it’s something they need to get right.

Options on the table is never bad in times of crisis.

29 posts were split to a new topic: Asian- and African-Americans

Die-hard Trump supporters be like:

8 Likes