Coronavirus Crisis Open Thread May-September

He has been asked twice–declined both times. He has now been summoned, but nothing can be done until the next time he lands in Canadian territory. Can’t wait to watch him squirm when he can’t simply cut the conversation short. Embarrassment to the nation …

2 Likes

Yes it is. A sad day not just for Canada, but for medical science, when WHO politics is more important than truth.

Guy

3 Likes
1 Like

So the press was sceptic of Vietnam’s success battling COVID19. The reporters went to check the numbers at mortuary and lo and behold, were told numbers were lower as less people out meant less traffic accident deaths.

In other news, a first person account of the damage coronavirus can inflict:

Peter Piot: “Many people think COVID-19 kills 1% of patients, and the rest get away with some flulike symptoms. But the story gets more complicated. Many people will be left with chronic kidney and heart problems. Even their neural system is disrupted…”

1 Like

Was reading about that the other day

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-covid-patients-rehabilitation-recovery-illinois-20200508-umnznrdvifc47izvjzcyy5nf4u-story.html%3FoutputType%3Damp

I’ve heard of this issue in late March. I’m waiting for the articles about the hospital bills and how it’s crushing folks (because insurance companies aren’t jack here) stories.

1 Like
3 Likes

Japan is a great place to visit buy boy, the bad parts are awful.

Regarding homeless people, the old country set up an empty gym as shelter and will move suspicious cases to a hostel not in use.

2 Likes

Better than my city. Past by a camp today and they have a sign that thanks the first responders and nurses but fact is they are still in a precarious situation.

1 Like

Yep, if Taiwan could do it despite all the whining about tradition and freshness, China can do it too, especially with the social controls the CCP has.

What’s so bad about them?

1 Like

New coronavirus infections are accelerating again in Germany just days after its leaders loosened social restrictions, raising concerns that the pandemic could once again slip out of control

South Korea(South Korea | World | The Guardian) has reported 34 new coronavirus cases, the highest daily number in a month, after a small outbreak emerged around a slew of nightclubs that a confirmed patient had visited.

Of the new cases announced on Sunday, 26 were domestically transmitted infections and eight were imported cases, the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said.

The total was the highest since 9 April. After battling the first major epidemic outside China, South Korea posted zero or very few domestic cases over the past 10 days, with the daily tally hovering around 10 or less in recent week

The S. Korea cases were recorded as coming from gay nightclubs. S. Korea is not very gay-tolerant so a lot of people are reluctant to give their names after visiting the clubs.

Well, aside from how women and foreigners are treated, how bullying is so ingrained and allowed.

How they have screwed up with COVID19 is a symptom of much larger issues, like putting corporations before people, face before life, etc.

2 Likes

Seems relying only on testing and isolation is not gonna work. Just because someone is COVID19 free today does not guarantee they will be tomorrow. No masks, no social disruption, no contact tracing, no solving and understanding the issue.

I see this as having a flea infestation. There are fleas out there, so you may choose not to get your pet outside. But you also have the fleas inside to consider. And every time you go outside, unless you take your shoes off, you will bring more fleas. You can kill the ones inside, but depending on what you use, you could kill your pet too. And if you clean everything and your pet, you might still have eggs lingering in small corners of the home. That is why we do all those things: clean the shoes, home, pet…And apply vaccine, which is the monthly droplets in the case of pets.

What the U.S. is doing is washing the pet and taking him outside again…And again…wash, rinse, repeat. Yes, the pet must go outside someday, better if you have a vaccine. But until then, limited access to clean areas and better hygiene will help, just as in this case. They think the WH is a clean area when it is not. The people are not fully protected.

4 Likes

It was also far worse than a bunch of other ‘experts’ predicted.
Hence global chaos.

I use gifs to be funny but you are on point in this post.

I had to go out today in city. Had to run the a food errand and return something. What behavior I observed during my three hours out showed me that America isn’t going to get over this anytime soon.

I saw 50-50 people wearing masks, and many disregarding social distancing.

(in my Samuel L Jackson voice) It’s a a mother f----king clusterfuck. I’m not kidding.

3 Likes

So the people are denying the coronavirus exists or is dangerous. Just like fleas. Remember fleas gave us the black plague.

COVID19 might not have even started showing how bad it can get. Disregarding it as just the flu when we barely understand how it works and must throw everything in our arsenal to stop is is not fun.

But yeah, economic loss and all that jazz.

2 Likes

So the people are denying the coronavirus exists or is dangerous. Just like fleas. Remember fleas gave us the black plague.

You realize I live a country that is big on revisionist history, right? :joy::joy:

COVID19 might not have even started showing how bad it can get. Disregarding it as just the flu when we barely understand how it works and must throw everything in our arsenal to stop is is not fun. But yeah, economic loss and all that jazz.

Old American Southern saying : hard head makes a soft ass. Meaning being resistant to common sense results in hardship later.

This “get back to work” push is filled with irony. The very people who are pushing it are the one who have great health care, an emergency fund 10x over and can isolate themselves if need be it.

It’s a slave mentality on full display. Consumerism at its highest. I really don’t have much against that but I do when it’s at the expense of others. /rant off

As for people understanding, I’m in a city where the mayor has been very vocal about staying at home. It doesn’t help when three (president, governor and mayor) is giving info which conflicts.

2 Likes

You can buy groceries cheaper in the US than in Taiwan. Kale is 1usd for a giant bunch. In Texas, shop the specials at Sprouts. In Florida, we have farmer’s markets. Buy seasonal and avoid processed mixes.

1 Like