Coronavirus Crisis Open Thread May-September

I was being sarcastic! Taiwan friendly he is not… missed writing the Taiwan.

I do wonder why he says that when US just started human vaccine trials. UK is on and about 6 other trials are at testing stage, out if the 140+/- labs working on it, including Russians and Chinese claiming they have it.

Meanwhile, Latin American countries are scrambling for Interamerican Development Bank loans to buy vaccines when available.

2 Likes

The pandemic reminds me of the Balrog. We dug too deep.

Well, throw Moderna out of the picture.

2 Likes

They are selling out at a good price. The risk is very high for any late stage trial. In this manner they can assure themselves of a solid bank balance either way. It’s likely they themselves do not have any clear picture of whether the vaccine will pass that trial…
DNA/RNA vaccines are a very new tech so risk profile may be even higher. Sone of the traditional adenovirus based vaccine candidates are showing a lot of promise already .

1 Like

We’re stuck with tuberculosis forever too. But we can vaccinate against it, so we don’t worry about it.

3 Likes

All you have to do is the opposite of what he says and you’ll be good.

The problem isn’t Tedros, remember he was elected. This tells me a good chunk of the WHO is aligned with the CCP. The same way China is appointed to the human rights council in the UN.

World organizations operate on the basis that countries want mutual benefits and work together even if it can go agains their own interests at times for the global good. China and other countries clearly don’t give a shit about that and use these organizations to advance their agenda. We have to rethink this.

3 Likes

Probably that will be the case. We live with x deaths from Influenza B every season with best guess vaccines, now we’ll live with y COVID 19 deaths every season after best guess vaccines. Worry is relative.

1 Like

Not all viruses can be vaccinated against.

2 Likes

Not yet but maybe 1 day!

3 Likes

I’m sure all our problems will be solved once scientists start manipulating genomes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a perfect storm. Idiots elected in many countries combined with a virus that appears to come back after infection. Vaccines are considered somehow different to herd immunity. Fingers crossed

1 Like

Not somehow, they ARE very different things .

Well, yes they are different but net result is the same. If immunity is temporary it will be the same with both. It would be naive to pin one’s hopes on either as a miracle cure.

2 Likes

:grimacing:

There’s been a lot of infighting between libertarians about mask. But most agree that you should wear masks in public and confined spaces but they shouldn’t be mandatory under penalty of law. Which is what I think. Wear it as common sense and civic duty to protect others and yourself. I just don’t think the government should force you to under penalty of law.

1 Like

Some say they were over 20k. Anyway this is still a very small demo for Berlin.

Why not? The government compels people to do or not to do other things in the interest of public safety.

1 Like

27 posts were split to a new topic: Libertarians with the German Imperial Flag?

I don’t believe that the government should have the power to force people to wear masks. I wear it, and I expect others to wear around me. But I don’t think it’s the right path to start making it a legal requirement under penalty of law.

I get why people want it. I really do. But I just feel uncomfortable with the idea. Freedom comes with responsibilities and sadly many people are not very responsible.

2 Likes

I get it, but why are masks different than other things the government would enforce in the interest of public safety?