Coronavirus Crisis Open Thread May-September

…Was a disaster. Also telling people to work in their offices etc . Fail. Even Sweden didn’t do that !

For those of us who lived in London when he was mayor we expected nothing less.

1 Like

Not sure I agree but he was voted in as the saviour of British goverment incompetence, been hit with something totaly unexpected.
This has shown his own and his! goverments incompetence.

Shit govt yes, but you also need to blame the people. What flimsy rules there are put in place are ignored by a large amount of people.

I think what the govt is most guilty of is making the rules seem optional. don’t want to wear a mask or have a party with your mates? no problem nobody is going to say shit about it.

2 Likes

This should be in the main thread.
MPs vote next week on “the renewal of temporary provisions” of lockdown measures under the Coronavirus Act 2020 to reauthorise the Government’s use of the powers. I believe the measures taking place now in the UK is to paint a picture the world will end to ensure the vote goes their way and they can do what they hell they want for another 6 months without opposition.
Thankfully there is opposition in their own party. Hopefully enough to stop it.

1 Like

Yes everything is a plot. A plot to steal your gravy and leave you with mushy peas instead.

Meanwhile in Spain, the confusing reality of covid in charts. Below charts were from two weeks ago. I will check the current death rate now.
Edit : 7 day moving average doubled with two weeks to 98. Not good but still very different than the first wave.

2 Likes

It’s the exponential growth and lag that always catches places out. However death rates are still well down.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8754957/Hospitals-France-Spain-just-three-weeks-saturation.html

Older people remain the most vulnerable, with over-60s accounting for a majority of recent admissions in Spain and more than three-quarters of current hospital patients in France.

Yes some people are idiots, but the bulk of the blame has to lay at the governments feet. The eat out to help out scheme is one example of their incredible stupidity - I refuse to believe that any of the scientific advisors thought it was a good idea.

People will mostly follow rules when it is made clear what they are, how important they are, and what the consequences are. But the daily press briefings at the start of the crisis were shocking. Boris in particular is an awful communicator. I’m sure his waffle is great for after dinner speeches, but leading a country through a crisis, no.

All that said, the government had failed long before the lockdown started.

1 Like

They are considering lockdown. Again.

@Belgian_Pie, recognize any doctors as signatories?

Cannot trust the numbers in some places.
Well some people do.
Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 15.48.10

1 Like

God god, there is a clinical assessment in each case. No one who got killed by a truck, but had a positive test two weeks earlier is being counted as dying from Covid.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Better leave tourists out for now.

6 Likes

It isn’t right to travel now. I’d love to be in Taiwan with my husband now, but it’s best to stay at home until a vaccine/cure is assured and widely implemented. Selfish people.

I wish Taiwan would close their borders for my husband’s sake and the rest of Taiwan.

3 Likes

I was watching a DW news clip about why Africa has been affected less than expected. They conclude it is because 1. They follow instructions like wear masks and wash hands and social distancing. 2. Their population in average is younger, about 70% under 30.

Here a longer piece

Well, one thing is to travel because you have to. Keeping family together is OK. Another whole story is going to bars while in quarantine. It is not really about travel but safety and empathy and not being a prick by thinking your actions won’t affect others.

1 Like

Even without reading that I know it will be about demographics. We all know now who the various viral strains called Covid-19 target.

How is this all going to shake out ?

And they have several outbreaks in universities, among young folk. The authorities are considering banning college kids from returning home on Christmas break.