Coronavirus Mental Health/Support Thread

Nothing like getting badish news and no one to talk to besides family on text :frowning:

1 Like

I hear you. Our very social natures get chipped away during isolation. Bad news seems worse when you can’t share it.

3 Likes

Depressing. I thought Taiwan had escaped the worst and the rest of the world was coming out of the worst. Now a new D mutation, and the Taiwan vaccine shortage. Everyone is masked up , kids are kept out of school , businesses going under, suicides, I have pre existing conditions and not young. My best friend has become Estrazolam. :unamused:

1 Like

Wtf is this. No more lockdowns. I can’t do it again. I really just can’t mentally. I finally feel like I’ve gotten my life together with a nice job and the side business picking up. I have a social life now. I’m relatively happy. No more of this, the lockdown will ruin more lives, particularly younger people. Stop screwing with us, we’ve sacrificed enough :sob:

2 Likes

The headline of that article linked above looks like click bait. The content in the article proper is not as grim:

Dr Susan Hopkins: “I can’t predict the future, it really depends on whether the hospitals start to become overwhelmed at some point.”

“But I think we will have alternative ways to manage this, through vaccination, through anti-virals, through drugs, through testing that we didn’t have last winter.”

Professor Calum Semple, member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), which advises the Government, told Times Radio: "I suspect we’ll have a pretty miserable winter because the other respiratory viruses [i.e. not COVID-19] are going to come back and bite us quite hard.

“We are going to see a rise in a disease called bronchiolitis, and a rise in community acquired pneumonia in children and in the frail elderly, to the other respiratory viruses for which we don’t have vaccines.”

Not all great news, but they are NOT saying there will be another lockdown.

Guy

It does say that. It says possible. Not sure why that’s confusing.

1 Like

It’s click bait, trying to rile people.

Don’t let those guys knock you off your game.

Guy

This is what it says.

Dr Hopkins told BBC’s Andrew Marr: "We may have to do further lockdowns this winter, I can’t predict the future, it really depends on whether the hospitals start to become overwhelmed at some point.

The title says it could be possible. I don’t see how it’s click bait.

The cases are rising again. They already pushed back ending all restrictions again. It’s a real possibility right now.

1 Like

Man that sux. I’m sorry you’re still in this. Possibly will, possibly won’t. that word can be really shitty sometimes. Possible. That word can make the brain go all nutty worrying about what might or might not.

Better to try and just think of it as it is what it is. Do what you can, but know there’s not much you can do to change their decisions. You don’t have to like it, but you have to accept it right? Plan for the worse, be happy when it doesn’t happen. You can do this.

After all, possible doesn’t mean difinite.

3 Likes

You know he was locked down in Italy and the UK right. He is very likely to be almost losing his mind.
Hang in there @Andrew0409

3 Likes

They are concerned about the Indian strain, I think.

I am stuck at the back rehibliatation center right now and a Tai Ke with a badly worn mask is coughing his lungs up WTF. In NTC.

At least I have an N99.

2 Likes

That sounds terrible. Take care crusher!

Guy

1 Like

I understand what you’re going through. I recently returned to Taiwan after being in lockdown in Europe for the better part of a year. It really does your head in. Those who’ve been in TW over the past 15 months haven’t experienced what it is like and how much damage these (IMO) overreactive restrictions do to the mental health of general population. The elites are excluded from the worst effects of what they impose upon the citizens.

To cope, I had to become philosophical and control what I actually could, which meant long walks outside every day in fresh air and increase connections with others, listen to comedy podcasts, take up some new studies and limit covid news, daily workouts. Just routine stuff. All of that helped

I actually exited the EU early to TW only to arrive into another lockdown :slight_smile: The situation is clearly not as bad here, and I hope the TW govt don’t follow what their counterparts have done in the UK (fearmongering, kneejerk and unscientific imposition of draconian restrictions at whim), but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do as such policy tends to give benefits to the elites.

Due to my previous experience I’m a little more prepared if it eventuates.

2 Likes

I’m finding having some goals is working out well for me. I have some goals related to sport, some things related to spiritual matters, and then some related to my family. I’m looking forward to the weekends again, and am enjoying these new pursuits and aims.

4 Likes

So yesterday a colleague asked me what are my plans for the weekend. Cleaning, sleeping, watching TV, sleeping some more… Sigh…

Weekend is the worst time to go out here as the market is crowded. Can’t even get the garbage out, too many people.

Same for the lake or the riverside or the park.

Double sigh.

1 Like

You really need to just get out there and try to enjoy some sunshine, Icon. Locking yourself away and brooding is going to take you rapidly downwards into a spiral of doom. Being afraid to take the garbage out is a very worrying sign indeed.

If it bothers you being near other people, then try to find a quiet spot where you can just read and listen to the birds - such places do exist. Feel yourself in the moment and try to enjoy just being alive. You are not going to die of the lurgy. None of us will. We’ll all still be here this time next year. And if by some perverse miracle you do get struck by corona lightning, well, you wouldn’t want to have wasted these few months cleaning and watching TV, would you? :wink:

6 Likes

Just get out there! New pr on a hike with the dog. Rode halfway up a mountain with my son on his new road bike. I can’t imagine being cooped up in the apartment all morning.

7 Likes

Great post!

2 Likes

Huh I just learned what kind of rhetorical device that is last night yet it has slipped my mind already. Damn you Covid!

1 Like