Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

To add to what others have said, where do you draw the line on personal responsibility?
Most smokers and fatties (and druggos and alcos and so on) didn’t wake up one morning and decide to become an addict. Nor is it so simple when they decide they want to quit.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: The COVID humbug thread

I saw this about a month ago and forgot about it.
Anyone find more information on this? Treatment to prevent dying from covid jabs:

LOL.

That’s beautiful. Absolutely sublime. Underlying admission: the COVID vaccine is killing people. Perhaps not a lot, but clearly enough for somebody to think they can profit from stopping it happening.

A lot of modern medicine seems to involve drugs designed to prevent some other drug from harming you (adding coenzyme Q10 to statin pills is one of the more recent “innovations”).

Drinking water can kill some people.

The difference is that water is the sine qua non of life on Earth. COVID vaccines are not.

If vaccines are killing people at rates high enough for someone to make a buck out of preventing that little problem, then they’re not as “completely safe” as we’ve always been told, are they?

It’s clearly a slip of the tongue.

Bugger. You’re right. It’s been clipped before she corrected herself. Just found the original.

They are referring to a drug called IC14 :

1 Like

So…Fake News

yup :blush:

Mistake news. It happens.

To be fair, it appears to have been deliberate in this case. Fell for that one :doh:

1 Like

No doubt.

I can’t help wondering what’s happened to the property they occupied and the fixtures they’d invested in. My guess is that pubs in particular were snapped up by the international drinks conglomerates. They already operate(d) well over half of the pubs in the UK before the pandemic, IIRC, so this would have been a golden opportunity for them to kill off the family-run establishments and take their stuff.

5 Likes

Or a perfect excuse to convert the pub into flats. Finally get the planning permission.

3 Likes

That too. I no longer think that profit was the whole motivation for all this, but they’re certainly not going to turn down the opportunity.

EDIT: just checked online. You can buy shuttered pubs for at least 50% down on 2019 prices. Some really nice old buildings being sold off (freehold) for the price of an average 4-bedroom house. Some are explicitly being sold “for conversion”.

1 Like

It’s another fire sale. Same as 2008. TPTB like to keep them regular.

2 Likes

It would be sad it true. There are already far too many chains there.

Well not only TPTB are interested to buy one :neutral_face::nerd_face:.
But maybe still beyond reach.

There’s a great doc on Irish pubs during the pandemic.

It’s a good time to invest.

1 Like

Never been so thirsty for a pint as this year.

Really really weird seeing those empty pubs (although some have customers so I don’t know when it was filmed).