Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

I don’t see the problem.

From your linked article:

A hospital in Springfield, Missouri, ran out of ventilators for its patients over the Fourth of July weekend as the area, right in the middle of a COVID-19 hot spot, deals with a rise in cases.

Situations like that, public health officials say, are avoidable if people would get vaccinated.

People getting sick with COVID now are mostly unvaccinated, say public health and hospital officials who are still trying to figure out how to convince all eligible Americans to get vaccinated.

Missouri remains in the bottom half of all states in vaccinating residents, according to data compiled by The New York Times.

Bro they’re reporting more than 1000 cases a day and asking for federal aid. They’re also running out of equipment. If Taiwan had 1000 cases a day it would be apartment prison.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article252503893.html

Covid skeptics didn’t give a rat’s ass about us when vaccinations weren’t available and they’ve chosen not to get vaccinated. Let 'em rot.

The trouble with this outlook is that when medical facilities get overrun, it affects potential treatment and care of other ailments. It also wears down medical staff, who do not deserve this.

Guy

If someone refuses to get vaccinated there’s nothing anyone else can do about it.

People who refuse the vax (without a very good reason) shouldn’t be allowed medical treatment if they get covid. They’ve made their bed by being idiots. Let Darwin take effect.

2 Likes

Another good idea is to hang them or burn them in the downtown square on Saturdays.

I agree with that! Burn them ALL! MAAA FIRE MAAA RULES!

That’s not a good idea. That ranks up there with throwing old people under the Covid bus because “they’re the only ones who get Covid so why should the rest of us suffer?”

I prefer burning. If you’re gonna go mad, go the Stannis approach.

No doubt.

1 Like

You sound happy that people are dying. Your grandparents would be proud.

1 Like

Let Darwin take effect? So you are agreeing with them. Didn’t they say that about old people?

People are so funny. Moaning about people who didn’t take covid seriously. Saying they don’t care about old people dying etc. Now you are happy that some of them are dying. Ha ha.

1 Like

And people who are fat shouldn’t get treatment if they are fat. Smokers shouldn’t be treated. Round and round we go.

1 Like

I do think people whose health issues are their own fault should pay for treatment (where health care is free). Why should taxpayers money be used to help Big Brenda when her diet consists of a plate of chips, a pound of fudge and cake while smoking a dozen fags a day and spending so much time sat on the sofa she’s got rigor mortis.

In my local town, there was this lardarse who was taking up FOUR hospital beds he was so big and needed nurses to clean him. He was 55 stone and in his 30s. Kick him out or make him pay for his treatment.

Indifferent is more accurate. The same way they felt about old people dying so they wouldn’t be inconvenienced by having to wear masks and get vaccinated.

That and unvaccinated Covid skeptics are a danger to the rest of us because they’re a reservoir for Covid mutations the longer this drags on.

1 Like

The subtlety here is that he had probably spent his whole life being given useless advice about low-fat diets, calorie-counting and similar superstitious nonsense that’s still the mainstay of obesity management. He probably also had an “enabler” who saw it as his or her duty to keep him disastrously fat (it takes a very specific diet to become, and remain, that large). I doubt he enjoyed being in that situation, or did it deliberately. Nobody had ever told him what had gone wrong.

In other words, he had never been offered appropriate treatment back when treatment would have had a happy outcome.

Wearing masks was not the extent of the inconvenience, though, was it? People - young people - had their entire lives put on hold for 18 months. Many people with businesses saw their life’s work destroyed at a stroke. The issue of “saving lives” is only one half of the picture, but I’ll get shouted at if I rehash that argument.

Nobody, I think, wants people to die (although reading some of the comments above, I have my doubts). However, just because you don’t want something to happen doesn’t automatically imply you can do anything about it. In the UK at least, those who died of COVID died at their allotted time: the NSO statistics suggest that average age-at-death was older than the UK average life expectancy. The idea that we could have done something about that, or that putting millions of younger lives on hold for a year in order to attempt to do something about it, is highly dubious.

Fortunately, as mentioned above, the new UK health secretary seems to have done an about-face on Matt Hancock’s policy. He’s all but admitted that lockdowns were a horrible mistake and did no good for anybody.

The headline reads ‘… lockdowns cost lives’. Unfortunately I can’t find a free report. I imagine the story will become available sometime in the next few days.

1 Like

Yeah but maybe he had some mental disease. Almost certainly so.

Would you kick out a thin person with mental health issues ?

How about all the people who abuse their bodies and minds but it’s not obvious at first glance.

For instance what about people who got cancer or liver disease from a exposure to sun, drinking too much alcohol , or eating too much meat?

What about the the drug addicts? They don’t put on weight but they need a hell of a lot of treatment .

A bit more thought required.

Anyway that is a very slippery slope to be going down.

3 Likes

Wrong. You can make something like this

Man, I really want to get vaccinated now.

2 Likes