Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

I responded to this in the Taiwan thread.

Yes, it’s important to cause as much harm to the ordinary man as possible. If we keep the merry-go-round spinning, money and property will keep flowing into the correct hands, and the plebs will be kept in their place for decades to come; cowed, fearful, economically devastated, and unable to fight back. The stress of not knowing what’s coming next is an astoundingly effective psychological weapon - it’s a classic psyops technique and costs next-to-nothing to implement. Combined with a misinformation campaign and frightening noises, the enemy won’t know whether they’re coming or going. Pure genius.

Of course, one must always calibrate oppression carefully. People will put up with a lot - cf. Venezuela - but sooner or later they haul the generals out of the palace and hang them from the lampposts.

It’s always ending in lockdown because of the transmissibility of the virus in normal living conditions which overloads health systems. Same in Brazil again. The national government doesn’t call it, local administration will do it, otherwise they don’t have any functioning health systems.
Time after time same pattern.
Nothing to do with oppression you’ve really gone off the cake end with this subject…If they had vaccines maybe they have another way but lots of them don’t want vaccines either.

Sure. Local government officials can accumulate a shitload of power and wealth by calling a lockdown. Probably more so than national governments.

Indeed. It’s a tried-and-true technique of asymmetric warfare, as I said earlier. The principles are well-established.

LOL. The COVID-19 “crisis” has involved the biggest transfer of wealth and power the planet has seen in a good while, and it’s been so stunningly successful that it’s not going to stop until the 0.1% have got it completely sewn up. The sad thing is that the hoi polloi just go along with it all, waving their flags and shouting “hurrah”.

1 Like

Gone off the deep end again.

1 Like

Show me I’m wrong. Show me those figures I just posted are wrong.

1 Like

What figures I just see ranting.

1 Like

The graphs in the Taiwan thread showing the CDC lying, sorry, putting a little bit of spin on the death rates.

:neutral_face::roll_eyes:

1 Like

So you agree that the numbers are correct?

If Big Pharma has invented a vaccine that cures death, well that’s quite something. But I don’t think they have.

I’m surprised he would say this, but it’s good to see.

I’m still fairly convinced it came from the lab, probably an accident. China has a history of letting viruses escape. And it just seems like a giant coincidence that a lab that studies the same kind of virus is in the same city the virus originated from.

Meh. Damage limitation. Say the right words, then handshakes, brandy and cigars all round in the back room.

If all are on the table why are they signing off on that report that said the 'lab leak is extremely unlikely '.

Thay was deliberately inserted into the report obviously a lot of horse trading going on.

The thing is this isnt just a political game it is actually critical to understand if it jumped from a lab or not.

1 Like

Looks like BS to me, as it was not an independent report.

And: if you trust anything from the official side of the PRC, I have some nice beachfront property in Hainan for sale! :upside_down_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Yikes!

1 Like

It’s possibly SJS which is relatively more common in Asian people actually. But still rare.
There’s a genetic test people can do to assess risk.

https://www1.cgmh.org.tw/adrlnk/contents/e-11-1.htm

Some drugs can set it off.

1 Like

Meanwhile in Canada, new cases are climbing as new variants take hold:

Guy

1 Like

The published data don’t match the doom-and-gloom tone of the report.

There are ordinarily around 800 deaths a day, plus or minus, in Canada.

So, bearing in mind that perhaps half of those 33 COVID-19 deaths would have been people in the last year of their natural lives, they’re talking about ‘locking down’ entire provinces on the basis of a couple of dozen genuine excess deaths. For comparison, about 40 people died on the 31st March because of some sort of accident (traffic, industrial, medical). The rolling 12-month COVID-19 death toll for Canada is about the same as accidental deaths for 2019.

Is it? Someone shoots you but hits an obstacle instead and the bullet ricochets. You’re saved

In the alternate universe if the obstacle wasn’t there, you’d most likely be dead, based on evidence of how bullets kill. It’s called science, statistics, probability theory.

Not sure what your point is. I was comparing COVID-19 deaths with accidental deaths because they’re uncommon (and minimized by legislation). The point is that

(a) dying from COVID-19 in Canada, at this particular moment, is quite literally as likely as being run over by a bus or falling off a ladder, but we don’t freak out about ladders and buses on that basis and
(b) therefore, the guy on the video is scaring the shit out of everyone for no apparent reason by playing up a miniscule death rate. Listening carefully, you can’t pick on any statement and say “that’s a lie”, but taken as a whole, he conveys a message which is untrue in its entirety.

2 Likes

Mr Finley, you are not a fool, but sometimes your posting is mystifyingly off the mark. The key point here is NOT current deaths in Canada, it’s the rising number of cases which are alarming the authorities.

Data available to anyone who knows what “google” is:

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid-19+cases+canada&rlz=1C1LENP_enTW532TW532&oq=covid-19+cases+canada&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2j0i22i30l2j0i390l2.4814j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Guy

1 Like