Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

Europeans :grin:

1 Like

LOL. I like your theory. Although ā€¦ thereā€™s also this:

" In July 2020, Chinese international property portal Juwai.com recorded a 213% increase in enquiries for UK property.

This followed a dip between April and June during the arguable height of the pandemic. In Q1 2020, Juwai.com found that Chinese buyers made 9.5% more enquiries for British property than the year prior."

Why would Chinese investors be searching Google in English?

For the same reason an English investor would search for opportunities in China using Chinese?

Anyway, Iā€™m not 100% serious here. Iā€™m just pointing out that, when businesses close en masse, the vultures move in, either to keep those businesses in stasis until TPTB deem it acceptable to reopen the economy, or to asset-strip. Theyā€™d be stupid not to; itā€™s what vultures do. Suggesting that such things arenā€™t happening, with so much carrion on the ground, makes no sense at all.

Have a look at that juwai.com site. Lots of commercial property there at fire-sale prices, eg., hotels and pubs selling for one-half to one-third of their pre-COVID value.

Even if this was the case, how would you differentiate between plain opportunism and the lockdowns being mandated to enable this ?

1 Like

Obviously, you canā€™t. Thatā€™s the beauty of lockdowns.

However, I take the pragmatic view that if someoneā€™s actions result in outcome X, their intent is to cause outcome X. A government that (say) persistently pursues policies that result in poverty and deprivation quite obviously has poverty and deprivation as one of its primary goals.

1 Like

The other week I said something dismissive about masks (made a comment that when I was in the country people no one cared for the rules or something along those lines). Shortly after my cousin went on a bit of a rant about vaccine deniers, how jealous she is of my sister for having a vaccine priority and how much better/ received sheā€™ll feel when she gets hers (being a 30 something year old living in a city thatā€™s had fewer than 20 in a year)
I get the sense sheā€™s a rather anxious person. I mean I am too, but in different ways. I completely tuned out from Fearmongering Daily as soon as it became apparent how little I had to fear it. Is this your mind on the government propaganda?

1 Like

Says the pharma guy with vested interests.

1 Like

And this:

Over in the UK - one of the testing grounds for the new normal:

Well, you canā€™t really blame them for using the tax laws to their advantage.

If one were being cynical one might think that our lawmakers donā€™t have the brains that they were born with if they couldnā€™t spot a loophole that big. Or possibly that their intent was to provide a loophole for the rich that isnā€™t accessible to the hoi polloi.

2 Likes

ā€œThere has been such a missed opportunity for communicating risk. Rather than just saying a hundred people have died today from Covid, the Government could say what proportion of deaths that accounts for, and whether or not that translates to excess deaths.

ā€œThat may be a more sustainable conversation to have with the public, rather than ā€˜be scared and stay scaredā€™.ā€

Pretty much what Iā€™ve been saying (to general ridicule) in this thread.

Laura Dodsworth, who has spent the past year researching this subject for a forthcoming book called A State of Fear: How the UK Government Weaponised Fear During the Covid-19 Pandemic, said: ā€œI have interviewed people who have been undone by fear, people who have had to be talked down from suicide and people who have developed agoraphobia.

I think this sort of thing has been dismissed out-of-hand. There was some rumbling about the suicide rate going up, although it appears not to have done so by any measurable amount; OTOH, suicide is an outlier response to stress, isolation and loss of meaning in life; the more common response is depression and learned helplessness. I suspect there are tens of thousands of such cases.

2 Likes
2 Likes

It was later clarified by the manager in a subsequent meeting that those were the smell of rotten meat since all stalls were closed suddenly without removal of their products."

WTF. If they hadnā€™t locked everyone in their houses, doing something like that would have spread all sorts of medieval plagues. Can you imagine the stench two weeks in? Bloody China.

Shortly after the pandemic began in Wuhan, Chinese officials abruptly shut down farms that breed wildlife for food; that decision came after promoting these farms for more than a decade. The government allowed farms that breed wild animals for fur and medicine to remain open.

Wild animals are a major source of new human diseases. Several investigators with WHO believe these farms may be the source or amplifier of SARS-Cov2. Looking at this map makes you wonder: Is China setting themselves for future outbreaks?

Bloody China. 4000 years of civilization my ass.

Civilization with Chinese characteristics

1 Like

I have noticed the stasi have been going after churches during Easter. I wonder if they will do the same with other religions?
This guy knows a thing or two about what happens when the authorities start treading on civil liberties:

1 Like

LOL.

Fuckin awesome. ā€œPeace Officerā€ - George Orwell would have loved that.

I guess the Poles know a bit about Nazis; that guy at least looks old enough to have parents who told him some war stories.

They could do with a bit more of that sort of thing in the UK, but I guess all the Poles left when Brexit hit.

1 Like

Well, thereā€™s a thing. The reasons given in the article are largely speculative, but the fact remains it was a pretty disappointing apocalypse.

Deaths this year will be far below average. There will be many explanations that avoid the obvious - people died slightly prematurely in 2020.

Letā€™s wait till the end of the year first.