Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

You’re trying (and failing) to misrepresent what I wrote here. I didn’t say that posting links is frowned upon, obviously. I pointed out that you post this stuff without the ability or willingness to discuss it, in which case…what’s your point?

Take the example above, where @marasan corrected you and people have been discussing your link. Were you intending to respond to the discussion you started, or just complete silence from you as usual?

It’s the manner in which you post that I have an issue with, as I’ve explained before several times. You pretend that you’re “looking for the truth” or something like that, but it’s a lie - you exclusively seek out and post things that support the uninformed opinion you’ve had since the start of this thing, and you’re not willing to learn anything new. It’s ignorant and pollutes the forum/discourse.

There’s no responding in a “negative way”. If you post something that’s not self-evidently bullshit with an agenda, I won’t have an issue with it. That’s yet to happen as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

In poker terminology don’t get married to a hand. If the lockdown followed by vaccinated herd immunity with regular boosters doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. I think it will, but it’s important that other opinions are heard, or at least allowed to be said.

2 Likes

Ha Ha.
The video I posted.
He said ‘clinicians he had talked with…’
The man did not say anything that was misinformation in that clip with regards to his experience.
I don’t give a hoot if you don’t like the manor of the way I post. That is your problem. Not mine.
I don’t think I pretend anything. There is an agenda and it is taking place across the planet. That is my belief and looking at the tens of thousands that marched in London last week, theirs too…
I guess we’re all ‘uninformed’.

And ‘since the start’. No. I too fell for the numbers and news thinking this was a new 1918-20 flu epidemic when it is anything but. It took me about 1 month to start questioning the narrative.
I will continue to post more self-evident bullshit just for you.

Ja, so it’s fine - you keep posting the Twitter bullshit, I and others will keep correcting you, and you’ll keep refusing to learn anything, like a park bench. Sounds like a plan. :handshake:

It’s more than just bullshit. Flagged now. I urge others to do the same.

1 Like

I don’t know about that to be honest. I often find the discussion tedious but tend to prefer that to censorship and forcing the mods to decide what’s true and false, especially in an open thread.

Though I would prefer if he chose to respond properly to valid criticisms like yours above and perhaps learn something, rather than just ignoring anything that doesn’t fit his agenda and posting similar stuff the next day.

I’m not sure exactly where the line is for allowing dialogue vs minimising the spread of disinformation, but I feel it should be a bit closer to the former end for a site like this with a relatively small community (as opposed to Facebook or Twitter, say).

2 Likes

It’s called being a man. If I’m wrong, I admit it and move on. Hopefully, I learn and the same mistake is not made again.

Perhaps you’re right.

2 Likes

Don’t be that guy. No need for an echo chamber here.

I honestly don’t know how to take that.

I’ll just say (because all this personal stuff is meaningless to me) that the main vaccines are highly effective at protecting against getting the virus. Any position that states otherwise should be called out again and again. There should be a vociferous echo in this respect.

3 Likes

Arundhati Roy—Booker Prize winning author, and a constant critic of those who overlook or abuse India’s most vulnerable—weighs in on “India’s Covid catastrophe”:

Guy

2 Likes

That piece is really moving. Gives the human side if the tragedy in all its political splendor.

These are the kind of rallies he mentioned.

And the religious event.

Sigh.

1 Like

If you’re talking about Roy, it’s “she.”

In any case, thanks for talking the time to read her essay.

Guy

1 Like

Flagged for being complete bullshit.

I read it yesterday. It is long, detailed and scary. Loved India and I thought they really had a chance to pull into development. Alas, a bad leader can really drag everyone to hell… currently to an early grave.

1 Like

I guess you spoke with the clinician who told this man.

If it is one of our lovely countries, it might be a setup by elite or antivaxxers or both to discredit vaccination. It is working. People are refusing to vaccinate because “they are not reliable”. No, it is not only AZ. All. The video seems posed for that purpose. Or else, how can they film it so calmly? In our countries where freedom of speech is highly limited and the wrong thing on the internet will get you “fatally mugged, oops, happens all the time”?

Put this one together with the ones with the kid who gets lower oxygen levels under a mask.

Regarding India, where is the data on the causes of death?

Only around 20 per cent of deaths in India are medically certified - meaning 80 per cent do not have an official cause of death.

From Feb:

We are provided with daily estimates of the death rates. If they are accurate then the figures are staggering but a reality check will tell anyone that the size of the population of India is also staggering: 1.366 billion compared with 66.65 million in the UK. If the number of deaths in India is contextualised, they are getting off lightly compared with the UK. Our peak daily deaths allegedly due to COVID-19 were just under 2000. A comparable number in India would be over 50,000 yet we are seeing fewer than 3000 deaths daily.

Here a nice graph for summary:

2 Likes

Kinda seen this coming.

India is a highly population dense country.

Worse than that, it’s a highly population dense country with not a high level of development, very much third world style leadership (meaning resource extraction, not unlike other similar governments such as Russia) and their latching onto old world castes.

Taiwan is population dense but with a high (possibly excessive) level of development and a strong awareness for protections (such as wearing masks even in the absence of a pandemic). Not to mention leaders are held to a pretty high standard here.

But I’ve only really met “rich” Indians (that means Indians I meet at my university, they are pretty much extremely wealthy Indians that are the top 0.1% in wealth there). No idea how normal Indians act.

What do you do if you can’t afford a quarantine hotel? I’m not speaking about the fools travelling abroad, who should suck it up if they want to be so selfish, but if you were in the proximity of a carrier, whilst living here?

1 Like