Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

Shocker.

2 Likes

Here is some self evident bullshit for some:
A paper on SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein Impairs Endothelial Function via Downregulation of ACE2

And some more disinformation for some:

SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein Elicits Cell Signaling in Human Host Cells: Implications for Possible Consequences of COVID-19 Vaccines:

I wonder if this explains the increased cases in India bar the testing increases?
I seem to remember in Gibraltar a few months ago there was a spike after a vaccine roll out which I posted a link to.

Awww…you make me blush when you talk like that. :relaxed:

You’ve misunderstood something here. I don’t think that everything you post or everything discussing potential side effects of vaccines etc. is “self-evident bullshit” or “disinformation”. As I’ve said before, I have no emotional connection to any of this stuff or a particular position - it’s just science. The papers you posted seem reasonable in themselves - I think it’d be good if you posted more stuff like this.

Have you read the studies? I only skimmed them for now as I need to sleep, but it would appear that they relate to the isolated spike protein, as might be generated upon vaccination, damaging vascular endothelial cells (first paper) and disrupting cell signaling to promote vascular remodeling with potentially harmful consequences (second paper), is that right?

(It might be helpful to other readers if you gave a brief summary of the studies and what you think they show.)

Again, I don’t have a problem with stuff like this. I think that researchers should study these questions - it’s an important part of making sure the vaccines or whatever are effective and safe. It shouldn’t be some kind of competition to prove each other wrong, and the questions should be approached without an agenda.

Incidentally, the researchers who studied this are also scientists being paid and funded by governments/grant agencies (presumably). Why do you feel it’s reliable to trust these researchers, but not other researchers that perhaps report the opposite result?

Who knows - could do. It does seem to be quite a restricted sample set (over 80s) they apparently saw this effect in, though.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if vaccination led to some short-lived variation in susceptibility to other challenges/stresses while the immune system is “occupied” (I said something similar recently - I could see plausible explanations for why it might increase and why it might decrease). Haven’t looked into it though.

Your niece was also a covud skeptic as well yeah :sunglasses:
Maybe she should have gone to India to see if it was all media bulkshit

No she was/is a registrar at one of the UK’s bigger cities, and she isn’t blind. Most doctors, apparently, are just immersed in getting on with the job at hand and aren’t much interested in the politics, but there’s no shortage of them saying “this is bullshit” … in private, at least.

Tanzania was years ago - nothing to do with COVID. Medical they are (apparently) just generally fcked, for the reasons you might expect (including the sort of bizarre shit mentioned in the article).

Putting this in the open thread, as it’s about Australia—but it speaks directly to challenges in Taiwan, where authorities have also been dealing with trouble in quarantine hotels, specifically in the Novotel Hotel outbreak:

Guy

Doesn’t look like bullshit.

It’s very real. See India.

Some docs are idiots. Some other guy had relatives waffling about the mrna vaccine going to give them mutations…Now im sure they can’t wait for the moderna vaccine.

Can’t disagree with that. They do seem to produce an inordinate number of wingnuts.

I see India. But look, it’s India. What on earth did you expect?

If you look at the numbers and then multiply them by five or ten (to account for the fact that the numbers have only a tenuous relationship with the truth) India is probably at around 20,000 deaths a day right now. Well, India has 1.4 billion people, so that would be equivalent to the UK losing 1000 a day. It’s a lot, but not radically different to what actually happened in the UK a few months ago.

The rapidity of the uptick suggests that it’ll burn itself out equally quickly (but my guess is that it’ll get worse throughout May). What would be the point of “curve-flattening” in this instance? Apart from the fact that you’d cause even more deaths, India doesn’t have a healthcare system, or at least none that’s accessible to the poor.

Even if they’d had vaccine supplies available, India would have never been able to get them distributed effectively - and just watch, it’ll be a complete pissup in a brewery as they scramble to attempt it.

It’s India. They’ve been busy making a rod for their own back since 1947.

Another story from down under, this time from New Zealand.

Following the passage of the COVID-19 Public Health Response Act, the NZ government has told front-line border workers who elected to NOT get vaccinated: your services are no longer needed.

Guy

1 Like

Cool. Wish taiwan would do this.

1 Like

Taiwan does not I think have the legal basis to compel vaccination.

Thankfully they DO have the legal basis to enforce quarantine—unlike countless other countries—cough Canada cough—that will be unnamed.

Guy

1 Like

But aren’t other vaccinations, such as MMR, polio, etc…, mandatory in both nations?

Seems there is precedent.

Nor does NZ, AFAIK. Most countries don’t.

OTOH the government’s concern is not unwarranted. As long as these people are being appropriately compensated for breach of contract, and/or receiving unemployment benefits, I don’t really see a problem.

As I pointed out, yes NZ does have the basis to do so.

Of course the unions will challenge it in the courts…

Guy

It is perfectly possible for a new Act to be either illegal or unconstitutional. Happens all the time.

Tell it to the judge. :rofl:

Guy

I assume somebody will :man_shrugging:

However it’s just a pity that countries that holler about democracy and human rights aren’t much interested in their own ideals when the shit hits the fan. It would save a lot of wasted time and money in the courts if they would make at least some attempt to act with integrity.

More importantly, backward countries are going to start laughing at them and saying, “well, it seems it really is one rule for me and another rule for thee, isn’t it?”

Me, I’m laughing at those of a left-wing persuasion cheering on the upending of democratic ideals and the rule of law, while calling people who support those things Nazis, idiots, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

It’s an interesting one . I’m surprised they didn’t give them a makeup uppy job but NZ is pretty Protestant work ethic type country I assume.