Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

I know exactly where mine is. Behind the wall. No point arguing with him, though.

2 Likes

My laundry smelt like ghost money smoke for the first, what seemed a month, that I lived here. Not a very refreshing smell to dry yourself off with a towel of ghost money smoke. Caught the lady across the fire alley burning a huge stack of it one day, and asked her why. She said grandparent had died and they had to burn it out there every day for a month (? forget the actual timeframe).

6 Likes
1 Like

Instinctively, I view this “fur farm” gambit as potential (probable?) gaslighting.

No I don’t have proof. :upside_down_face:

Guy

Guy

Disgusting

Got to feel for the poor cops. Having to deal with two drunk, righteous, asshole whiteys.

3 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: How Amateur Sleuths Broke the Wuhan Lab Story and Embarrassed the Media

We’ve now seen the US pledge to help more with COVAX and to provide vaccines to nations including South Korea and Taiwan.

In his latest column reprinted in today’s Taipei Times, Joseph Nye (theorist of “soft power”) calls for the US to do more internationally as part of what he calls a vaccine “Marshall Plan." It’s an interesting read.

Guy

1 Like

Why were the Vaccine manufacturers granted immunity from prosecution/liability in advance with regards to side effects… by US and UK governments? Can anyone please explain what the legal, ethical and moral justification for that is (or is it just a profit safeguard)? Anyone? Please enlighten me.

I assume this is the case in Taiwan too.

I suppose it’s only fair that governments would grant their little chums the same immunity that they’ve granted to themselves.

2 Likes

Wow. Horrible.

The UN-backed Covax vaccine-sharing facility that many African countries hoped would ensure equitable access worldwide has failed to provide more than a tiny fraction of the shots needed, as rich nations buy up all available supplies and Indian producers of the favoured AstraZeneca vaccine service only local demand.

Burkina Faso, which has a population of 20 million, this week received just 115,000 doses from the Covax Facility, while Rwanda and Togo each received about 100,000 Pfizer vaccine doses. In Zimbabwe, hundreds of people are being turned away from vaccination centres as the country’s supplies of China’s Sinovac vaccine appear to have run out.

Infections are also surging in Angola, Namibia and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where 32 members of parliament and several aides to the president, Félix Tshisekedi, are among those who have died.

At least people who are at virtually zero risk are getting vaccinated in wealthy countries. It would be dreadful if only at risk groups had been vaccinated in those countries, because what about long Covid and outlier scare stories that we saw regularly in the Guardian?

They’re down to the 25-29 age group in the UK now. Meanwhile, Africans die.

2 Likes

Africa has officially registered almost 5m Covid-19 cases and more than 130,000 deaths, a figure representing 2.9% of global cases and 3.7% of deaths, but many experts believe the total is a very significant underestimate, and that the death toll is likely to be many times higher.

We had to reach vaccinated herd immunity. Anyone who suggested otherwise wanted to kill old people. Old people in Europe and America, at least.

We HAVE to be at 70% or we can’t have the Fourth of July. sadz

Amazing that corony can pinpoint those in this age group just as it was announced those in that age group would be offered the jab:

2 Likes

Gotta increase the user base! Next up 0 to 12, give it 6 months!

The first flu season after social distancing ends is going to be carnage. A lot of old people who it would have killed have already been taken out by Covid, for sure, but the concern in the UK is what will be the impact of lower immunity in other age groups.

I hope it’s not a case of suffer the little children resulting from our noble quest to keep the elderly alive a little longer.

Actually, there still might be hope

3 Likes

There are probably still samples in some Chinese lab. Accidents happen, you know.

5 Likes